审查 Dec 19, 2014

lbone wrote:

最近联系的一家美国翻译公司要我签一个合同,其中提到

1)对方可能要求第三方对我进行犯罪背景调查,
2)(如果我是公司)我需要对我这里每个接触他们项目中机密信息的人都事先进行犯罪背景调查。

大家碰到过这种要求吗?
他们就是一家翻译公司,联系时谈的是做手机软件翻译。第一次碰到这种奇怪的要求。

[Edited at 2014-12-19 10:13 GMT]

以前没有, 现在可能是 “反恐” 活动增加的缘故,美国境内公司与其他国家人仕或商业机构的任何连系,都可能需要接受审查,以厘清与任何犯罪集团或潜在可能发生的不法勾当。其中一个方法是通过国际刑警(即合同上所说的 “第三方”)进行审查 (vetting)。

另一个可能就是对方公司对于机密信息的处理方式。他们要求任何接触机密信息的人士或机构(包括翻译),都需要清白无犯罪证明,以确保机密信息不会洩露,被不法集团利用作犯罪勾当。

你同客户谈的是关于手机软件,就不难想像原因了。

在英国所有从事公务的口译员都须在正式开始工作之前被警察局进行 CRB 审查 (Criminal Record Check)。从事移民的口译手写翻译员更加要接受 “反恐” 审查。

美国公司方面的做法可能和英国的做法一样,以保障自己的安全利益。

如果你有疑问,大可在签约前向对方查询是什么样的调查 (审查深度)、你的纪录如何保存、你以后翻看审查记录的权利等问题。你完全满意了,才动笔签约。

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:23
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
手机软件 Dec 20, 2014

David Lin wrote:

以前没有, 现在可能是 “反恐” 活动增加的缘故,美国境内公司与其他国家人仕或商业机构的任何连系,都可能需要接受审查,以厘清与任何犯罪集团或潜在可能发生的不法勾当。其中一个方法是通过国际刑警(即合同上所说的 “第三方”)进行审查 (vetting)。

另一个可能就是对方公司对于机密信息的处理方式。他们要求任何接触机密信息的人士或机构(包括翻译),都需要清白无犯罪证明,以确保机密信息不会洩露,被不法集团利用作犯罪勾当。

你同客户谈的是关于手机软件,就不难想像原因了。

在英国所有从事公务的口译员都须在正式开始工作之前被警察局进行 CRB 审查 (Criminal Record Check)。从事移民的口译手写翻译员更加要接受 “反恐” 审查。

美国公司方面的做法可能和英国的做法一样,以保障自己的安全利益。

如果你有疑问,大可在签约前向对方查询是什么样的调查 (审查深度)、你的纪录如何保存、你以后翻看审查记录的权利等问题。你完全满意了,才动笔签约。

多谢说明。实话说,我想不出手机软件的翻译和机密、隐私之类的有多大关系,从我接受的试译看,是两三个普通安卓工具软件的文档中摘来的片段,都是些个人或SME写的小软件的使用或二次开发文档。手机软件确实可能做一些涉及个人隐私的操作,但给别人看的文档中想必都是清清白白的,否则这个app怕是就没人敢用了。
我和他们反映了一下,说他们的要求我不太好理解,这辈子我都没遇到过,以前打交道的公司和客户也从没谁有过这种要求。也问了问能不能向他们索取他们公司接触过我个人信息的每个人的犯罪背景记录,看样子他们似乎就不太乐意了。
要实在说不通就算了。

[Edited at 2014-12-20 14:04 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
犯罪背景调查 Dec 20, 2014

lbone wrote:

最近联系的一家美国翻译公司要我签一个合同,其中提到

1)对方可能要求第三方对我进行犯罪背景调查,
2)(如果我是公司)我需要对我这里每个接触他们项目中机密信息的人都事先进行犯罪背景调查。

大家碰到过这种要求吗?
他们就是一家翻译公司,联系时谈的是做手机软件翻译。第一次碰到这种奇怪的要求。

[Edited at 2014-12-19 10:13 GMT]

在美国,这种背景调查是很平常的事情。很多公司在正式雇用员工之前,会对应聘者进行背景调查,其中包括犯罪记录调查。以前,翻译公司对 freelance translators 很少进行犯罪背景调查。但近年来,某些客户会要求翻译公司对 freelance translators 和 independent contractors 进行犯罪背景调查。这种调查,主要是基于 security 的考虑。进行背景调查的第三方,是指那些提供 employee background check services 的公司,而不是国际刑警组织之类的机构。国际刑警组织没那么多闲工夫。所以,不必把事情看得太严重。而且,以后若有必要,你有权查看关于你的背景调查报告,有权就报告中错误的或不准确的信息提出申辩。

如果你不愿放弃这个客户,不妨答应客户的要求。如果你觉得此客户无足轻重,那就无所谓了。一般而言,不惜花钱雇用第三方进行这种调查的客户,较有可能成为长期客户。

[Edited at 2014-12-21 02:55 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
这是不可能的 Dec 20, 2014

lbone wrote:

也问了问能不能向他们索取他们公司接触过我个人信息的每个人的犯罪背景记录,看样子他们似乎就不太乐意了。

翻译公司无权向你提供他们公司内部接触过你“个人信息的每个人的犯罪背景记录”。这种调查记录是受到严格保密的。即使是该翻译公司内部,也只有极少数有关人员才可看到这种记录。同理,你也不必对你的背景记录的保密问题过于担心。

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:23
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
多谢两楼详细说明 Dec 20, 2014

ysun wrote:
翻译公司无权向你提供他们公司内部接触过你“个人信息的每个人的犯罪背景记录”。这种调查记录是受到严格保密的。即使是该翻译公司内部,也只有极少数有关人员才可看到这种记录。同理,你也不必对你的背景记录的保密问题过于担心。

实际上我也觉得他们不可能向我提供,我只是以此表达一下我认为他们的要求在我看来不合理。

至于你前面说的“一般而言,会兴师动众进行这种调查的客户,较有可能成为长期客户。”这条其实只是他们让我签的十几页长的independent contractor agreement中的一条,这个agreement应该是个格式化文件,我估计他们会让每个新来的译员都签一个,但其他人大概看文件那么长就懒得细读,直接就签了,我倒是一条一条看了一遍才发现的。NDA又是另外一个文件。

和新客户打交道还是挺麻烦的,他们周五是提过要在team里研究研究我的concern,等下周看看他们有没有什么说法,那时再具体看吧……要是太麻烦的话……其实这个市场上,译员和翻译公司各自都有很多选择,虽然换人换公司确实很麻烦,但照理不会有谁真差一个谁就过不下去。

以前碰到过一家欧洲翻译公司,在contractor agreement里写了一些钱上很过分的要求,说什么如果我迟交稿一分钟要扣多少,迟一小时要扣多少,几小时后好像就要扣得基本没有了。至于他们自己,如果给我付款迟一个月,要给我记不清千分之一还是百分之一的违约金。他们也解释说这只是为了相互督促什么的,后来我还是没签,真要出了什么纠纷,凭这份合同就怕要洗不清了。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
对自己其实不利 Dec 20, 2014

lbone wrote:

ysun wrote:

实际上我也觉得他们不可能向我提供,我只是以此表达一下我认为他们的要求在我看来不合理。

至于你前面说的“一般而言,会兴师动众进行这种调查的客户,较有可能成为长期客户。”这条其实只是他们让我签的十几页长的independent contractor agreement中的一条,这个agreement应该是个格式化文件,我估计他们会让每个新来的译员都签一个,但其他人大概看文件那么长就懒得细读,直接就签了,我倒是一条一条看了一遍才发现的。NDA又是另外一个文件。

和新客户打交道还是挺麻烦的,他们周五是提过要在team里研究研究我的concern,等下周看看他们有没有什么说法,那时再具体看吧……要是太麻烦的话……其实这个市场上,译员和翻译公司各自都有很多选择,虽然换人换公司确实很麻烦,但照理不会有谁真差一个谁就过不下去。

以前碰到过一家欧洲翻译公司,在contractor agreement里写了一些钱上很过分的要求,说什么如果我迟交稿一分钟要扣多少,迟一小时要扣多少,几小时后好像就要扣得基本没有了。至于他们自己,如果给我付款迟一个月,要给我记不清千分之一还是百分之一的违约金。他们也解释说这只是为了相互督促什么的,后来我还是没签,真要出了什么纠纷,凭这份合同就怕要洗不清了。

lbone,

What Yueyin said was totally correct.

Also you said these two clauses were buried among umpteen pages of contract agreements. It's just to have all their bases covered. A freelancer residing in the U.S. wouldn't balk at something like this. And like J.H. mentioned, the operative word is "may", not "will" or "shall". Besides, which third party in China are they going to hire to investigate you?

By objecting, they would rather think you have something to hide. In the U.S., security clearance issues like this do not rise to the level of invading someone's privacy.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:23
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I would avoid this kind of agencies Dec 21, 2014

Firstly they would askk for your very sensitive information even before a job is assigned to you.
2ndly, they would request you to fill out extra forms.

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:23
Chinese to English
Thoughts and suggestion Dec 21, 2014

I agree with others that this is probably included to protect confidential information, so that the company can reassure their customers by saying that they vet their freelancers. It's also possible their insurance's lawyers added this clause to lower the risk of lawsuits being brought against them due to the leaking of confidential information.

If you don't like it, why not strike this clause from the contract or amend it? I do this frequently with these kind of contracts, and comp
... See more
I agree with others that this is probably included to protect confidential information, so that the company can reassure their customers by saying that they vet their freelancers. It's also possible their insurance's lawyers added this clause to lower the risk of lawsuits being brought against them due to the leaking of confidential information.

If you don't like it, why not strike this clause from the contract or amend it? I do this frequently with these kind of contracts, and companies often (I'd say about 60% of the time) don't seem to mind. You could simply write 'provided that you provide prior notice to me' in the document with an arrow pointing to the place you'd like to insert this, so that the company is obligated to tell you before they conduct the check. I usually make a note to the company telling them about my change so that they know that I'm not trying to sneak something past them.

I could be incorrect (if anybody knows differently please tell me), but I believe such an amendment would be upheld by many, if not most courts, especially if you notify them of the change, unless the contract includes a 'this contract may not be altered, amended, blah blah" clause.
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:23
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
约束力 Dec 21, 2014

lbone wrote: 手机软件

多谢说明。实话说,我想不出手机软件的翻译和机密、隐私之类的有多大关系,从我接受的试译看,是两三个普通安卓工具软件的文档中摘来的片段,都是些个人或SME写的小软件的使用或二次开发文档。手机软件确实可能做一些涉及个人隐私的操作,但给别人看的文档中想必都是清清白白的,否则这个app怕是就没人敢用了。
我和他们反映了一下,说他们的要求我不太好理解,这辈子我都没遇到过,以前打交道的公司和客户也从没谁有过这种要求。也问了问能不能向他们索取他们公司接触过我个人信息的每个人的犯罪背景记录,看样子他们似乎就不太乐意了。
要实在说不通就算了。

[Edited at 2014-12-20 14:04 GMT]

Ibone,

不客气。我觉得你向对方提出问题是绝对合理 (a legitimate move)的一个商业行为。在签订合约前须搞清楚合约的细则条文。相反,如果你要他们签订一份你起稿的合约,他们也会一样仔细阅读;如有问题,也会向你提出。

还有,无论合约有多厚,奇怪的条文被放在那一个位置都好,如果你读到了心里觉得不自然或担心的,向对方提出问题,只会显出你对于这个新关系的认真及积极态度。他们也有义务回答你的查询,解释有关条文的目的、含义及后果。

如果他们不高兴,你也可看出他们对这个新关系的态度是如何了。可让你作出一个更周全的决定。

至于对方要求的 “犯罪背景调查”,应该与一般雇员背景调查有一些区别。因为无论任何的犯罪,只有警方或法院那边有记录。在中国应该是公安部吧。

另一个问题,如果对方将 “犯罪背景调查” 交与一些公司处理,那么他们会如何获得你的(无)犯罪记录?还不是要去警察局那边找。 如果资料来源不是警方,你也可以质疑这些调查公司的责任、独立性及准确性。不然在你做完一个值数千美元的大项目后,对方突然说收到报告, “犯罪背景调查” 显示你以前曾牵涉翻版手机犯罪集团,而你从来没有犯罪、被起诉、被法院判罪名成立且留下案底。

到时才跟对方理论,麻烦会更大。

我们当然毋需想象得太严重,但是签订的合约有 “约束力”,无论是 may, shall 或 will,都表示他们可以依照条文履行你容许他们进行的 “犯罪背景调查” 。

在英国,我们是不容许非警方以外的单位来进行 “犯罪背景调查” 的。一些单位只负责纯文件提交及申请的工作。

对了,看看对方如何回复你再说。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
What I understand of the US judicial system and common practice (may not be correct) Dec 21, 2014

David Lin wrote:

至于对方要求的 “犯罪背景调查”,应该与一般雇员背景调查有一些区别。因为无论任何的犯罪,只有警方或法院那边有记录。在中国应该是公安部吧。

另一个问题,如果对方将 “犯罪背景调查” 交与一些公司处理,那么他们会如何获得你的(无)犯罪记录?还不是要去警察局那边找。 如果资料来源不是警方,你也可以质疑这些调查公司的责任、独立性及准确性。不然在你做完一个值数千美元的大项目后,对方突然说收到报告, “犯罪背景调查” 显示你以前曾牵涉翻版手机犯罪集团,而你从来没有犯罪、被起诉、被法院判罪名成立且留下案底。

David,

In the U.S., a person's criminal record is in the public domain, meaning through legitimate means, it is accessible through court filings by authorized parties ...

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/crime-prev-personal-sfty/bkgd-check/cori/

https://www.traviscountytx.gov/district-clerk/public-access

https://www.intelius.com/criminal-records.html

What's included in a Criminal Records Report?
This confidential criminal background check searches public records for criminal offenses such as felonies, misdemeanors, and DUIs. Your Criminal Records Report includes, when available, offense type and date, court name, case number, outcome of the charges, and more. Curious about someone's criminal record? People search and find out with this instant report from Intelius!

http://spyfly.com/signup/index4.php?c=58&scn=adwordsSF&sca=background&vid=4650dd21fb2643f3ae3714bfb9c687ac

WARNING!
The website you are about to access contains actual criminal records (DUI/DWI, felonies, misdemeanors, theft, sex crimes, etc.), contact information, address history, relatives and business associates, personal financial information, etc.

By clicking "Continue" you agree to not use our service or our information to make decisions about employment, insurance, consumer credit, tenant screening, or for any other purpose subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq. SpyFly is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Continue

Also, what Preston suggested is correct. One can strike the disagreeable clauses by hand and try to reach an agreement. The contract would stand up in court as long as the identical signed copies are presented to the presiding judge ... But I'm sure, and I hope that it never comes to that. Who's gonna spend the energy, time, and travel expenses that exceed the disputed amount to have a civil case adjudicated?

[Edited at 2014-12-21 17:37 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Expunging a criminal offense record Dec 21, 2014

FWIW. I know this is going way beyond what lbone was asking about. But in my opinion, it's always good to know how the system actually works, especially in a different country, and why people form and have different opinions/perspectives on an issue. ... See more
FWIW. I know this is going way beyond what lbone was asking about. But in my opinion, it's always good to know how the system actually works, especially in a different country, and why people form and have different opinions/perspectives on an issue.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/expungement-of-criminal-records-basics-32641.html

A criminal record can create difficult downstream consequences whether you (or your child) was arrested or convicted (or both). For example, employers and landlords commonly ask job applicants and apartment seekers whether they have ever been convicted of (or perhaps even arrested for) a criminal offense. Employers might not hire -- and landlords might not rent to -- people who answer "yes" to these questions. The good news is that, in some cases, you may be able to get an arrest or conviction expunged from your record. Read on to learn more about the expungement process.

What Is Expungement?
Expungement refers to the process of sealing arrest and conviction records. Virtually every state has enacted laws that allow people to expunge arrests and convictions from their records. Though the details can vary from one state to the next, most states' laws provide that once an arrest or conviction has been expunged, it need not be disclosed, including to potential employers or landlords. For example, assume that Joe was convicted of petty theft and later had the conviction expunged. This was Joe's only brush with the criminal justice system. If Joe applies for a job and the application asks, "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense?" Joe can honestly answer, "No."

http://wipemyrecordclean.com

[Edited at 2014-12-21 15:20 GMT]
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:23
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
国内的无犯罪记录证明 Dec 21, 2014

Steve,

Thank you for your elaboration on Criminal Record Check in the States. Very useful. Here's some info about CRC check in China. Maybe it is useful for Ibone to know but not sure there's such a service where he lives and works.

人民网上月这篇报导有更多关于国内犯罪背景调查的信息。但是只限于深圳地区。

如果报导属实,这个今年三月才开始的服务还是免费
... See more
Steve,

Thank you for your elaboration on Criminal Record Check in the States. Very useful. Here's some info about CRC check in China. Maybe it is useful for Ibone to know but not sure there's such a service where he lives and works.

如果报导属实,这个今年三月才开始的服务还是免费的。

http://sz.people.com.cn/n/2014/1121/c235389-22975187.html

人民网深圳 11 月 21 日电(张婷)11月 20 日下午,在深圳市公安局官方微博上,李警官和刘警官就无犯罪记录证明的办理条件、委托办理、境外办理、办理中的特殊情况及该证明的性质与用途进行了在线答疑。

初次办理须本人亲临

两位警官通过配图详细说明了办理人的申请条件、申请原因、申请方式、所需材料、办理地点和期限以及办理流程,并对办理过程中的特殊情况进行了特别提醒。如初次办理须由本人亲临办理,再次办理的可凭委托手续委托他人办理。

如果在国外办理或委托办理无犯罪记录证明,可到中国驻国外的大使馆或领事馆做十指指纹公证、委托公证,提供身份证原件复印件、户口本原件复印件、被委托人身份证原件复印件办理。

此外,相关办理机构发现申请人有犯罪记录的,不予出具无犯罪记录证明,并向申请人说明理由,但犯罪时不满 18 周岁且被判处刑罚为5年有期徒刑以下的除外。若申请人是正在接受调查的犯罪嫌疑人或刑事诉讼被告人,其申请的办理不受本规定的办理时限的限制。待有关调查事项或诉讼结束后,再行按照规定流程办理。

有限时间内证明有效

有无犯罪记录如何认定?无犯罪记录证明有效期是多长?公安警官对此回应,除人民法院有效判决书确认有罪的外,其它人均是无犯罪记录人员。无犯罪记录证明具有永久效力,但只能证明当时人在某一段时间内没有犯罪,如深圳市无犯罪记录证明仅证明其在深圳市居住期间在深圳市内无犯罪记录,比如三个月以内无犯罪的记录证明,超过三个月就会失去作用。值得一提的是,无犯罪记录证明书不得用于国内诉讼用途。

李警官强调,根据《刑法》第 100 条规定,依法受过刑事处罚的人,在入伍、就业的时候,应当如实向有关单位报告自己曾受过刑事处罚,不得隐瞒。犯罪的时候不满 18 周岁被判处 5 年有期徒刑以下刑罚的人,免除该规定中的报告义务,其相关犯罪记录将予以封存,并不得向任何单位和个人提供。司法机关为办案需要或有关单位根据国家规定可进行查询,但应对被封存的犯罪记录的情况予以保密。

深圳市现为免费办理

今年 3 月 13 日,深圳市公安局无犯罪记录证明书办事处正式挂牌成立,率先在全国规范无犯罪记录证明办理流程,对有无犯罪记录证明的受理、查询、调档、制作等一系列工作实行制度化,方便深圳市居民的查询办理。

“建立犯罪人员犯罪记录制度,对犯罪人员信息进行合理登记和有效管理,既有助于国家有关部门掌握运用犯罪人员信息,适时制定调整刑事政策及其他公共政策,改进和完善相关法律法规,有效防控犯罪,维护社会秩序,也有助于保障有犯罪记录人的合法权利,助其顺利回归社会。” 李警官说。

事实上,目前美国、加拿大、德国、英国等国家及与深圳毗邻的香港均已建立了较为完整的犯罪记录制度,签发《无犯罪记录证明书》是一项收费服务,而深圳目前为免费受理。在这些国家和地区,一个人一旦有犯罪记录,其入学、就业、出国、信用等都会受到限制。(完)

【新闻来源:人民网深圳频道】

[Edited at 2014-12-21 18:01 GMT] ▲ Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
A security issue Dec 21, 2014

David Lin wrote:

Steve,

如果报导属实,这个今年三月才开始的服务还是免费的。

http://sz.people.com.cn/n/2014/1121/c235389-22975187.html

Thanks for the info, David. It's also good to hear that the Chinese judicial system is gradually getting more strengthened and sophisticated.

I still think the company/agency in this instance is just doing their due diligence, and is not going out of their way to set someone up. So it's doubtful that they will go to the trouble of going through a third party in China to do a criminal background check.

But if they do indeed intend to go to all that trouble and go through the proper channels to make sure everything is kosher, at their own expense that is, my attitude would be "be my guest".

[Edited at 2014-12-22 00:45 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

犯罪背景调查

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »