Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 29, 2015

Can anyone please enlighten me on the meaning of "bundling" shown below:

In fieldwork carried out by the author, sub-national health insurance managers invariably framed procedural innovations in which they were engaged as being developments of overall policy, and frequently legitimated these in reference to loose national or provincial policy frameworks. To a certain extent thi... See more
Can anyone please enlighten me on the meaning of "bundling" shown below:

In fieldwork carried out by the author, sub-national health insurance managers invariably framed procedural innovations in which they were engaged as being developments of overall policy, and frequently legitimated these in reference to loose national or provincial policy frameworks. To a certain extent this provides a structural conjuncture which opens up multiple possible framings and pathways under an overarching policy direction. Equally, research on environmental protection shows how localities retain space for flexible implementation, interpretation of policy, bundling, and innovation.

Not to mention that how difficult it is to understand "this provides a structural conjuncture which opens up multiple possible framings and pathways under an overarching policy direction".

Even if you succeeded, it'd be quite a miracle you can render it intelligibly into Chinese...well maybe it is just me thinking this way.
Collapse

Bea Geenen
Bea Geenen  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
Bundle = combine Jul 29, 2015

Hi Alan,

"Bundling" here means "combining (resources)", in Chinese 合编。
By the way, it's better to ask this kind of questions in the KudoZ section.

Best,

Bea

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Jul 29, 2015

Thanks,Geenen.
It immediately makes sense to me.
I think I was distracted by "bundling sale" 捆绑销售。So i even thought that it might be a type for bungling,because that would seem to make some sense too.

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
discursive phenomenon Jul 29, 2015

The existence of a specific vocabulary of policy implementation/innovation points to the need to understand innovation as a discursive phenomenon as much as a process of institutional development.

话语现象?口头禅?

创新一词实际上在某些人嘴里是口头禅。

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:46
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Please use KudoZ Jul 29, 2015

Hi Alan,

Your questions are interesting. ProZ.com's KudoZ is designed to allow linguists and translators to suggest answers for difficult translation questions like the one you posted here. I, like Bea, encourage you to use the appropriate platform for your further translation questions.

If you've any questions about using KudoZ please do let me or Rita know.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

David

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advice heeded Jul 30, 2015

Hi David,
Thanks for reminding me to use KudoZ. I will, next time. But, did I actually break any rule?
One could really forget to use it after a sufficiently long period, being initially put off by slow speed or inaccessibility.

To be sure I am anxious to be seen as a rule observant person as much as I want to mumble here about the difficulties of translation.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
discourse=话语 Jul 30, 2015

是个术语,别去分析。

The existence of a specific vocabulary of policy implementation/innovation points to the need to understand innovation as a discursive phenomenon as much as a process of institutional development.

从政策执行/创新过程中出现的系列专业术语,可得知创新不仅要从组织建设的角度去理解,还得从话语角度理解它。

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
供参考 Jul 30, 2015

Alan Wang wrote:
"this provides a structural conjuncture which opens up multiple possible framings and pathways under an overarching policy direction".

。。。在已有的规定框架下,形成了一种含有多种角度和路线结构性的结点。。。

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:46
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Thanks for your compliance Jul 30, 2015

Alan Wang wrote:

Hi David,
Thanks for reminding me to use KudoZ. I will, next time. But, did I actually break any rule?
One could really forget to use it after a sufficiently long period, being initially put off by slow speed or inaccessibility.

To be sure I am anxious to be seen as a rule observant person as much as I want to mumble here about the difficulties of translation.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your assurance to comply with Forum rules. Much appreciation.

You sounded like mumbling hence I was already slow to post the reminder - after Bea's post and your question on "discursive phenomenon".

I do understand KudoZ does not allow translation support for long sentences like yours, but at least single terms such as "bundling" and "discursive phenomenon" could be enlightening for KudoZ users if you post them there.

And Phil could be as generous to give his insights about the long sentences in Kudoz as he did here.

Perhaps we should start a new post called "Just mumbling"

Take care.

David

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
probably my miracle theory still stands... Aug 3, 2015

To a certain extent this provides a structural conjuncture which opens up multiple possible framings and pathways under an overarching policy direction.

从某种程度上来说,这使得在一个总的政策方向下出现多种可能的解释和做法成为可能。

Phil Hand wrote:

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You agree totally with google translate on this Aug 3, 2015

Discursive phenomenon, originally translated: 离散的现象。

I run the two words into google translate, and it gives 话语现象.

Thus as a proofreader, I was able to change this initial wrong translation that occurred nine times in this 18k document.

Google translate, definitely useful. Mark my words.

Phil Hand wrote:

是个术语,别去分析。

从政策执行/创新过程中出现的系列专业术语,可得知创新不仅要从组织建设的角度去理解,还得从话语角度理解它。

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:46
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Alan Aug 3, 2015

Alan Wang wrote:

Hi David,

Rest assured that no rules have been broken- the only reason David posted his response is because we do encourage such questions to be taken to Kudoz instead. IMO one reason for doing so is that your question here is obviously not a simple one where someone's asking "hey, what does XXX mean?" Chances are this can be real helpful to Kudoz and to our work in general.

That's all

Have a nice week ahead!

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
"Discourse" Aug 3, 2015

http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/discourse
discourse
If you use the word discourse, you are describing a formal and intense discussion or debate.

蘇峰山教授〈論述分析導論〉
http://society.nhu.edu.tw/seminar/930625/9.ppt

 英文 discourse 法文 diocours 其拉丁文 discursus
字根 discurs 字源 discurrere

 論,議也《說文‧言部》
 論,說也《廣韻‧魏韻》
 論,敘也《淮南子‧脩豫》

discourse 譯為論述,比譯為言說、話語、交談均較周延,恰當。

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucauldian_discourse_analysis
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/cre/publish/discussionpapers/pdfs/dp24Hewitt.pdf

“... there are manifold relations of power which permeate, characterise and constitute the social body, and these relations of power cannot themselves be established, consolidated nor implemented without the production, accumulation, circulation and functioning of a discourse.” (Foucault, 1980)

Alan Wang wrote:
To a certain extent this provides a structural conjuncture which opens up multiple possible framings and pathways under an overarching policy direction.

从某种程度上来说,这使得在一个总的政策方向下出现多种可能的解释和做法成为可能。

Phil Hand wrote:

在总体政策方向上,这在一定程度为开启多种可能的其它框架(构想)和途径提供了枢纽.

[Edited at 2015-08-04 00:10 GMT]

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
structural conjuncture 可有什麼含意 Aug 4, 2015

结构性危急时刻(局势)

References:
structure of the conjuncture是什么意思_structure ... - 在线翻译
www.ichacha.net › 英语翻译
Translate this page
structure of the conjuncture的中文意思:局势结构…,点击查查权威在线词典详细解释structure of the conjuncture的中文翻译,structure of the conjuncture的发音, ...

... See more
结构性危急时刻(局势)

References:
structure of the conjuncture是什么意思_structure ... - 在线翻译
www.ichacha.net › 英语翻译
Translate this page
structure of the conjuncture的中文意思:局势结构…,点击查查权威在线词典详细解释structure of the conjuncture的中文翻译,structure of the conjuncture的发音, ...

in this conjuncture是什么意思_in this conjuncture中文翻译是 ...
www.ichacha.net › 英语翻译
Translate this page
in this conjuncture的中文意思:在这(危急)时刻…,点击查查权威在线词典详细解释in this conjuncture的中文翻译,in this ... structure of the conjuncture是什么意思 ...

Definition of CONJUNCTURE
1: conjunction, union
2: a combination of circumstances or events usually producing a crisis : juncture

[Edited at 2015-08-04 13:16 GMT]
Collapse

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to pkchan, thanks for interest Aug 4, 2015

structural conjuncture 就是结点(Phil好像也是这样理解的)。
不妨想象为一座大厅或concourse。

这座大厅,周围有窗户(framings)和通道或走廊(pathways)。 命令(overarching policy)从大厅这里发布,内容或声音通过窗户时变了一点,通过门道出去又带有门道出去的特点,当然主旨未变。

Framings和pathways就是各地执行政策时对其稍带区别的理解、领悟、解释,以及执行的方式和方法。

This may be termed imaging aided translation.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difficult words encountered in translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »