Thread poster: Etienne Tessier
Etienne Tessier
Etienne Tessier
France
Local time: 16:54
Feb 26, 2014

Dear all,

Atril proudly presents the new Déjà Vu.

With brand new features, such as the Live Preview, Inline formatting and Inline spellchecker, as well as a completely redesigned User Interface, Déjà Vu X3 is today the most user-friendly CAT tool on the market.

To ensure a smooth transition from D
... See more
Dear all,

Atril proudly presents the new Déjà Vu.

With brand new features, such as the Live Preview, Inline formatting and Inline spellchecker, as well as a completely redesigned User Interface, Déjà Vu X3 is today the most user-friendly CAT tool on the market.

To ensure a smooth transition from DVX2 to DVX3, we have placed a variety of resources at your disposal:
What is new in Déjà Vu X3?
Installation Guide for Déjà Vu X3
Déjà Vu X3 e-learning videos
Free live online training on Déjà Vu X3 during the first months following the release
The Helpdesk where you can find the Knowledge Base, a list of regularly updated articles that answer common questions.

Any files created with Déjà Vu X2 can be opened without conversion process directly in Déjà Vu X3.

Downloading the latest Déjà Vu X2 build from our website will ensure that any files created with Déjà Vu X3 can also be opened and processed within Déjà Vu X2.

For further details, please go to our website at www.atril.com or to our Youtube channel where you will find the recording of a Déjà Vu X3 live presentation.

We are excited to welcome you to this new era in Déjà Vu history!

Your Atril Team
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No reactions? Mar 1, 2014

Thank you for announcing the new version of Deja Vu X3, Etienne.
Compared to the reactions in the proz blog "SDL Trados support" (problems over problems after the release of Studio 2014) it is still quiet here. Either the new tool just runs or nobody has bought it so far? As far as I am concerned, I will wait to buy it until the release with a short key for inserting numerals will come

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 18:54
English to Russian
+ ...
small first impression Mar 1, 2014

I've downloaded trial and made very short test. Just first impression.

1. Start window - Good for newbies, but oldies may want to disable it without switching to opening last project.
2. White color schema - may be too hard for eyes. (Somebody indicated this problem in other topic some weeks ago, but Atril haven't solve this tiny problem)
3. On small file with local 30000-seg TM «confirm - go-to-next segment» seems to be 1,5 times slower in comparison with DVX2. (Co
... See more
I've downloaded trial and made very short test. Just first impression.

1. Start window - Good for newbies, but oldies may want to disable it without switching to opening last project.
2. White color schema - may be too hard for eyes. (Somebody indicated this problem in other topic some weeks ago, but Atril haven't solve this tiny problem)
3. On small file with local 30000-seg TM «confirm - go-to-next segment» seems to be 1,5 times slower in comparison with DVX2. (Core Duo 3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, traditional HDD)
4. RIBBOOOOOONNNNN. Why have You changed traditional File - Export / Import - to File / Share? Didn't You have enough space in menu File for 2 command? (and take my time to search it in save and then in share)
You have a lot of place in ribbon so why do You place option to the bottom of file menu? Why do You follow MS in bad?
5. Ctrl-I to split segment and DVX3 made nothing. Why have You changed traditional shortcuts?

Look at MemoQ - when it was behind DVX, MQ peoples made special DVX shortcuts set so peoples can switch from DVX to MQ with least difficulties. (Figures for MQ and DVX2 in TGB section speaks for itself)

You have changed traditional shortcuts without any visible necessity. Hope You have VERY IMPORTANT REASONS to do so.

6. In trial all export options for External View except of RTF are disabled. (It can be important for somebody). The good idea is to indicate all limitations of trial version, because I'm not sure my TM is really working completely in trial)

[Редактировалось 2014-03-01 20:21 GMT]
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Re first impressions Mar 2, 2014

Not that tiny actually. This and other things are built into the Office 2013 “style” third-party component used and Atril is still figuring out how to change them. They have said they will.

3. On small file with local 30000-seg TM «confirm - go-to-next segment» seems to be 1,5 times slower in comparison with DVX2. (Core Duo 3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, traditional HDD)

We were told that the slowness of the real-time preview is one of the rough edges that will be smoothed out in due course. If you switch it off, you'll find that DVX3 is at least 1.5 times *faster* than DVX2.

4. RIBBOOOOOONNNNN. Why have You changed traditional File - Export / Import - to File / Share? Didn't You have enough space in menu File for 2 command? (and take my time to search it in save and then in share)

Control+I for italic, Control+B for bold and Control+U for underline
DVX3 has so many more powerful features than either SDL Studio or memoQ that further keyboard shortcuts are in short supply.
Here's a list of them:
http://www.atril.com/sites/default/files/docs/presentation/Deja_Vu_X3_Keyboard_shortcuts.pdf

You have a lot of place in ribbon so why do You place option to the bottom of file menu? Why do You follow MS in bad?

The ribbon is an MS third-party component and requires you to follow certain guidelines specifying that the file operations (new, open, etc.) should go in the File tab, which the first tab and is in a different color. A lot of these things are built in. Some can be customized and some not. We'll have to wait and see.

6. In trial all export options for External View except of RTF are disabled. (It can be important for somebody). The good idea is to indicate all limitations of trial version, because I'm not sure my TM is really working completely in trial)

The other options are for the Workgroup version. The trial version is fully functional.

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re Mar 2, 2014

[quote]David Turner wrote:

Not that tiny actually. This and other things are built into the Office 2013 “style” third-party component used and Atril is still figuring out how to change them. They have said they will.

«Good» news. Atril uses 3-rd party component which does not understand completely.
Analog - Trados with Java - often Java-update-related problems.
Should we expect this with DVX3?

We were told that the slowness of the real-time preview is one of the rough edges that will be smoothed out in due course. If you switch it off, you'll find that DVX3 is at least 1.5 times *faster* than DVX2.

I tested it on simple text doc file - no formatting, no images, only plain text. If such preview slows down DVX3 so much, what should I get on really complex docs?
May be better switch preview OFF by default so that peoples can see how quickly DVX3 works?

Control+I for italic, Control+B for bold and Control+U for underline
DVX3 has so many more powerful features than either SDL Studio or memoQ that further keyboard shortcuts are in short supply.
Here's a list of them:
http://www.atril.com/sites/default/files/docs/presentation/Deja_Vu_X3_Keyboard_shortcuts.pdf

I agree that standardization IS REALLY IMPORTANT REASON TO CHANGE OLD shortcuts. But may be a good idea to have some shortcuts sets (OLD and NEW, Trados-like, MQ-like, Transit-like) and allow choosing them. Peoples install the new version and expect they can work with old functions without any problem. But it's not so here.

What would You say if carmakers change accelerator and brake pedal in new model of car? Here we got something like that.

Another Good Idea for shortcuts - help popup at mouse over chosen part of screen (or at mouse gesture). Quick and effective.

The ribbon is an MS third-party component and requires you to follow certain guidelines specifying that the file operations (new, open, etc.) should go in the File tab, which the first tab and is in a different color. A lot of these things are built in. Some can be customized and some not. We'll have to wait and see.

??? see above. Is it really worth to use in new version?

The other options are for the Workgroup version. The trial version is fully functional.

OK. But absence of Xliff support in Pro version looks strange. For now Xliff is the most effective way of interchanging between different TM, especially for highly tagged files.

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
further test Mar 3, 2014

idml file

I thought I will die before DVX3 import 10 MB idml (about 10-15 min) and with very bad indication of progress (indicator reached end in 30 sec and then only jumped left - right)

Segments order in DVX3 is crazy. Index in the middle, last sections in the beginning. I don't know why, but I really needn't such import results.

In trados xliff order much more correct but also not ideal. MemoQ imports this file without any problem with segments order in
... See more
idml file

I thought I will die before DVX3 import 10 MB idml (about 10-15 min) and with very bad indication of progress (indicator reached end in 30 sec and then only jumped left - right)

Segments order in DVX3 is crazy. Index in the middle, last sections in the beginning. I don't know why, but I really needn't such import results.

In trados xliff order much more correct but also not ideal. MemoQ imports this file without any problem with segments order in 1-2 minutes.

I've seen somewhere that this problem came to light. But nothing was made to solve it.

External View RTF - Reimport

If reimport of «previously imported» (as written on interface) - why DVX3 don't remember full filename of exported file? Why by default it tries to import DOC but not RTF?

A good idea for Bold/italic - if cursor on space at Ctrl+I(B) change font of next/previous word (To save time spent on selection)

[Редактировалось 2014-03-03 19:24 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2014-03-03 19:25 GMT]
Collapse

Bénédicte Leplat
Bénédicte Leplat
Italian to French
Website in French? Mar 4, 2014

Hello, I'm planning to buy "Déjà Vu X3" and I'm looking for information on training and videos in French. Is there a link I can use?
Best regards

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Re first impressions Mar 4, 2014

What would You say if carmakers change accelerator and brake pedal in new model of car? Here we got something like that.

Oh come on! There are only 4 or 5 changes out of a 100 or more. Spit and join is now ctrl+shift+I and ctrl+shift+J instead of ctrl+I and ctrl+J. It's not that big a deal. To use your car analogy, on the new model you now have to press to engage reverse gear rather than lift...

Another Good Idea for shortcuts - help popup at mouse over chosen part of screen (or at mouse gesture). Quick and effective.

But that's already the case! A tooltip pops up with the shortcut for each function and an explanation of what it does and under what circumstances you would use it when you move your mouse over the ribbon.

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
I think most information is in English Mar 4, 2014

Bénédicte Leplat wrote:
Hello, I'm planning to buy "Déjà Vu X3" and I'm looking for information on training and videos in French. Is there a link I can use?

but the videos are well made and easy to follow even by non-native speakers. Did you check out the links provided by Etienne in the first post?

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re Mar 4, 2014

David

Please give a link where can I find status codenumbers for different machine translated segments (if these are distinguished)

(For Example: Microsoft: 220???
Google: 221 etc.)

(that imported in RTF) (good idea to add codenumbers left to color in display setting)

Popup for standalone functions is really good, but I propose to do the yellow memo with all of most used shortcuts for peoples coming from other TM (if Atril finds shortcuts
... See more
David

Please give a link where can I find status codenumbers for different machine translated segments (if these are distinguished)

(that imported in RTF) (good idea to add codenumbers left to color in display setting)

Popup for standalone functions is really good, but I propose to do the yellow memo with all of most used shortcuts for peoples coming from other TM (if Atril finds shortcuts sets idea not worth to implement).
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:54
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Other tools have users, DéjàVu has fans Mar 4, 2014

Perhaps that's why no one is complaining.

(And perhaps that's why the price for DVX2 was 590 EUR while the price for the 'latest and greatest' DVX3 is 420 EUR.)

But that's just me speculating.

[Edited at 2014-03-04 16:49 GMT]

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Segment status numbers Mar 6, 2014

Hi Mikhailo,
There's bound to be a code number for machine translated segments but I doubt it would distinguish the provider (DVX provides support for quite a few now).

The manual gives a list of status numbers but looks like it's not up to date enough to include machine translated segment statuses. Try exporting a small test project with a couple of machine translated segments to EV, checking "Include segment status" "As number" (and color if you want: you can have both):

LIST OF CODES FOR FIELD ATTRIBUTES IN PROJECTS
MATCH TYPES
Normal = 0
Exact = 1
Fuzzy = 2
Assembled = 4
Propagated = 8
AutoPropagated = 16
Finished = 256
Locked = 512
Pending = 1024
Stop = 2048
WARNINGS
MultipleMatches = 65536
RenumberedMatch = 131072
ERRORS
WrongCodes = 16777216

As mentioned above, there's a check box for segment status numbers in the EV export pane.

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re Mar 10, 2014

further test

Switched from Huspell speller to MSOffice speller.....DVX3 become like a tortoise.

I type more quickly than letters appears in DVX3.

Even with preview OFF but with all Autofunctions ON DVX3 is slower than DVX2 (It constructs segments from scrap very slowly).

David - Another one question

I see You answer questions about DVX3, but you are not Atril employee, are you?
Shall we see that Atril peoples start wo
... See more
further test

Switched from Huspell speller to MSOffice speller.....DVX3 become like a tortoise.

I type more quickly than letters appears in DVX3.

Even with preview OFF but with all Autofunctions ON DVX3 is slower than DVX2 (It constructs segments from scrap very slowly).

David - Another one question

I see You answer questions about DVX3, but you are not Atril employee, are you?
Shall we see that Atril peoples start working?

And in You list there is no number for machine translated segments.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
speed is not good for translators Mar 11, 2014

mikhailo wrote:

Too many spelling errors? I guess even MS Word will be slower in that case. I would try to type slowly and correctly

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re Mar 12, 2014

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Too many spelling errors? I guess even MS Word will be slower in that case. I would try to type slowly and correctly

NO.
DVX3 slow down too much with MSOffice speller. (Another cause of this may be the package size - more that 200 MB)
Unfortunately dictionaries of Huspell and MSOffice speller are not interchangeable.

Another one problem in DVX2 and I think in DVX3.

For some segments in RTF (External view) DVX2 adds spaces in words (word -> w o r d).
MS Word opens such files correctly but QA tool such as Verifika (e-verifika.com‎) have seen these spaces (and showed a lot of problems). (temporary solution - save such files in Word)

Yesterday have seen DVX3 Webinar by russian representative and took a close look on Russian Interface Translation - BAD especially for TM company.
If Samara can't solve this problem - the only way I think - make an loadable/editable interface strings INI-files and wait for community peoples.

DVX3 is a leap forward of DVX2, but it has almost nothing to be ahead of competitors like MemoQ and nothing to facilitate migration from other tm/flawless working with other tm packages.
Without this it has very few chances for future.

[Редактировалось 2014-03-12 08:45 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Déjà Vu X3 is here!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »