The name in the end tag of the element must match the element type in the start tag.
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:53
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Apr 25, 2015

Dear All,

In continuation of my work on the project, which created the last problem (posted here a couple of days ago), I have now run into another software bug, as explained below:

1. I translated another of the files in the project and exported it.

2. Word 2013 refused to open the translated file, reporting that:

The name in the end tag of the element must match the element type in the start tag.
... See more
Dear All,

In continuation of my work on the project, which created the last problem (posted here a couple of days ago), I have now run into another software bug, as explained below:

1. I translated another of the files in the project and exported it.

2. Word 2013 refused to open the translated file, reporting that:

3. I Googled "The name in the end tag of the element must match the element type in the start tag." and came across this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2528942

4. In their brash manner Microsoft think they know exactly what is wrong with their own software (and they should) and have provided a fix for you to download, run and apply. Which I did.

5. The "Fix it" tool did its magic and pronounced the file fixed. However, Word still refused to open it, reporting the same problem.

6. I have now tried (4-5 times already) saving the original file in .doc and .docx format (new and old .docx format, if you are wondering which), running and not running CodeZapper, importing the resulting source version, pretranslating it, fixing it, what not, exporting it, only to find out that Word still refuses to open the resulting file.

From comments on message boards I have learned that using the information

...the file document.xml (one of the constituent files, accessible when the exported .docx has been renamed to .zip) can be edited directly in a .xml editor and fixed manually, however, I am not sure I can do it myself.

I am running out of options here, help is appreciated!

Best regards,
Pavel Tsvetkov

[Edited at 2015-04-25 13:46 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:53
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Split/merge? Apr 25, 2015

Hi Pavel,

did you split / merge segments anywhere in your project, where MS Word may have a problem with it?
Perhaps try to reimport and avoid any splitting / merging. At least this can cause problems with sdlxliff files. Just a suggestion.

Good luck,

Matthias

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:53
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Solved! (Shame on you, Microsoft!) Apr 25, 2015

Dear Mathias,

1. Thank you for your suggestion. It seems that in this case the culprit can be found elsewhere. The problem (as described by Microsoft) "is related strictly to oMath tags and occurs when a graphical object or text box is anchored to the same paragraph that contains the equation.":

It is a matter of incorrect tags in the .xml file that .doc and .docx files actually are...

That said, I did download and try their Fix it! tool and it did nothing (still, said tool can be found here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2528942

...and the explanations are worth reading for the brave of heart!

2. I did have a feeling, however, that something like this had happened to me before. I was able to recover an old thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/déjà_vu_support/241831-déjà_vu_x2_workgroup_refusing_to_export_75_of_translated_files.html

...and the solution that I initially found back in 2013 worked for me again!

What I did was the following:

A. I opened the original file (non-translated) in Word and saved it as .rtf [Please, note that the resulting file will be rather big... enormous actually. In my case the original .docx file was 847 KB and the resulting .rtf was 47,7 MB (!)]
B. I then spell-checked the file and ran CodeZapper! on it (prepared it for translation).
C. Then I added it to the list of files to be translated in Deja vu X3 Pro, that is, I added it to the project in the Project Explorer window (upper right-hand corner).
D. The file was added, but grayed out, as it was not imported yet. I clicked the file in the list and then (in the lower right corner of DJV's window) clicked on "Properties" next to "AutoSearch - Portions". This shows the "Import Options" window.
E. From the drop down menu I chose "Rich Text Format" as [import] Filter. I imported the file.
F. I pretranslated the file, manually edited and filled in all segments that needed work, and then exported the finished .rtf file.
G. I then opened the resulting .rtf file in Word and saved it as .docx, which then opened without a problem! Voilà!

So, the only downside is that .rtf files are rather big, and if your original .doc or .docx file is big, then the resulting .rtf file may become unmanageable.

Apart from that, however, it works like a charm, and I do find it strange that Microsoft have not thought of this solution.

I hope this long explanation will help another translator in need some day...

Best regards,
Pavel Tsvetkov

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:53
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Glad to hear... Apr 26, 2015

that you finally found a solution!
My next suggestion would have been to create for you an sdlxliff from your file in question, because Studio sometimes unfortunately can handle problematic Word files better than Deja Vu does. But I assume you tried that trick by yourself?

Best regards,
Matthias

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »