France
Local time: 20:19
Jul 10, 2015

Dear all,
DVX3 new build (730) has been released.
The list of new features and fixes can be found here:
http://atril.com/content/last-update

New features:
• Advanced Find and Replace, terminology extraction and much more, through the integration of <
... See more
Dear all,
DVX3 new build (730) has been released.
The list of new features and fixes can be found here:
http://atril.com/content/last-update

New features:
• Advanced Find and Replace, terminology extraction and much more, through the integration of Regular Expressions (see useful examples here – big thanks to our betatesters for providing them!)
Source text editing locked by default (you can unlock them with Alt+F2)
• A rebuilt and Optimised MS Office Live Filter
• Detection of non-translatables in fuzzy match repairs (learn more here)
• Improved compatibility with other CAT tools with improved XLIFF filter (Short video illustrating interoperability here)
• Enabled productivity and quality tracking in TEAMserver
• Integration of updated HelpFile for Déjà Vu X3 (press F1 and browse the HelpFile)
• Editing confirmed segments removes the confirmation status
• Fewer tags for PDF conversions
• InFix filter
• Improved Transit filter

We also uploaded this video to demonstrate one useful example of RegEx – the terminology extraction.
Feel free getting back to me should you have any questions.

PS: if anyone encounters an issue with the ribbon after the update, please follow the guidelines from this article – that will fix it.

Kind regards,
Atril Team
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Nice to see you Jul 10, 2015

It is nice to see that Déjà Vu is still 'around'. I was (am) a big fan of this CAT tool, until I decided to switch from Windows to OS X. I wish you luck with your software! I like the improved Transit filter (yes, I still have a Déjà Vu license ).

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
X3 broken since updating to the new build Jul 13, 2015

Update:
It looks at least the ribbon problem has been solved by applying the following instructions (for all who don´t know yet):
http://helpdesk.atril.com/index.php?pid=knowledgebase&cmd=viewentclient&id=193

[Edited at 2015-07-13 08:19 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:19
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Size of development team? Jul 28, 2015

Out of curiosity, how many persons are there in your software development team? The number of features and fixes in this build seems too small for 6 months of work, I think. Or are you working on a major update / a new version at the same time – DVX4, perhaps?

[Edited at 2015-07-28 12:53 GMT]

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
New features Jul 30, 2015

Please, introduce:

-Numbers in Autowrite
-Proper names in Autowrite
-Highlighting terms in the editor window (different colours for different glossaries)
-Progress bar based on characters or words (not only segments)
-Customizable web search,

... and then I promise to switch from my favourite CAT tool to DVX_whatever_number_it_will_be.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Another suggestion Aug 8, 2015

In one other CAT tool there is a smart way to insert glossary terms via autosuggest/autocomplete function.

When you want to use a term from your termbase (you know that the CAT tool has found it, because it\'s highlighted in the source segment), in the target segment you just write first 1-2 letters in your SOURCE language and then autosuggest provides you with the correct term in the TARGET language.

E.g.
SOURCE:
Your sister is beautiful . (the ter
... See more
In one other CAT tool there is a smart way to insert glossary terms via autosuggest/autocomplete function.

When you want to use a term from your termbase (you know that the CAT tool has found it, because it\'s highlighted in the source segment), in the target segment you just write first 1-2 letters in your SOURCE language and then autosuggest provides you with the correct term in the TARGET language.

E.g.
SOURCE:
Your sister is beautiful . (the term \"beautiful\" is recognized)

TARGET:
Deine Schwester ist BE... (and then autosuggest comes up with \"schön\", replacing \"bea...\")
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:19
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
*still* no highlighted terms in the source pane!?! Aug 8, 2015

pro-lingua wrote:

Please, introduce:

-Numbers in Autowrite
-Proper names in Autowrite
-Highlighting terms in the editor window (different colours for different glossaries)
-Progress bar based on characters or words (not only segments)
-Customizable web search,

... and then I promise to switch from my favourite CAT tool to DVX_whatever_number_it_will_be.

It puzzles me no end that they still haven\'t added highlighted terms in the source pane (at least optionally)! It\'s 2015! How do people work without this?

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
highlighted terms Aug 9, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

It puzzles me no end that they still haven\'t added highlighted terms in the source pane (at least optionally)

Optional? Sure, we are in the age of tailored anything after all.

It\'s 2015! How do people work without this?

It is 2015 and I want to see the text only. Weird?

pro-lingua wrote:

Which CAT tool is that? There should be an easy way to insert placeables, if this the correct term, including upper case terms, abbreviations, numbers (with regex support) but source terms?? Possibly it will result in too much \"autosuggest\" suggestions.Optional please, so that we can turn it off immediately.

[Edited at 2015-08-09 00:18 GMT]

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Re Aug 9, 2015

It\'s actually available in Wordfast Classic.
And it\'s not the source term that is inserted, but you write the first letters of the source term (since you don\'t know the target term) and then Wordfast replaces those letters you have written in your language with the proper term in target language.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
??? Aug 9, 2015

pro-lingua wrote:

It\\\'s actually available in Wordfast Classic.
And it\\\'s not the source term that is inserted, but you write the first letters of the source term (since you don\\\'t know the target term) and then Wordfast replaces those letters you have written in your language with the proper term in target language.

Aren\'t you just describing autosuggest?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
There is nothing wrong with a little flexibility. Aug 9, 2015

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

It puzzles me no end that they still haven\\\'t added highlighted terms in the source pane (at least optionally)

Optional? Sure, we are in the age of tailored anything after all.

It\\\'s 2015! How do people work without this?

It is 2015 and I want to see the text only. Weird?

You might switch it off immediately, but I am certain a lot of people would happily leave it on, and actually thank Atril for it.

Actually, my ideal solution would be to have it so I could toggle it on/off quickly with a keyboard shortcut. I asked Igor to add this feature to CafeTran a while back (and still haven’t managed to create an AutoHotkey script to do it in the meantime). Sometimes I want to see the highlighting; other times I don’t. It depends on the text, my mood, the weather, etc. There is nothing wrong with a little flexibility.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Perhaps they couldn't find a way to do it Aug 10, 2015

With regard to the term highlighting feature, perhaps Atril looked into it, tried several ways of implementing it and found that none was good enough, so they abandoned the idea.

After reading a recent post on the topic of what CAT companies think is the future of CAT tools (or something like that), that's the impression I got: that Atril always tries many new things but ends up implementing none because they are not satisfied with any of them. So there is no term highlighting, no p
... See more
With regard to the term highlighting feature, perhaps Atril looked into it, tried several ways of implementing it and found that none was good enough, so they abandoned the idea.

After reading a recent post on the topic of what CAT companies think is the future of CAT tools (or something like that), that's the impression I got: that Atril always tries many new things but ends up implementing none because they are not satisfied with any of them. So there is no term highlighting, no prefix matching in termbases (a HUGE drawback for QA checks in languages such as Greek), and so forth.

In the end, it's their product and their company. They can do what they think is right, and we are free to choose what we'll use. Perhaps they know better or they want to be a niche tool for a select few. Who knows.

[Edited at 2015-08-10 09:32 GMT]
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
re Aug 10, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

pro-lingua wrote:

And it\\\'s not the source term that is inserted, but you write the first letters of the source term (since you don\\\'t know the target term) and then Wordfast replaces those letters you have written in your language with the proper term in target language.

Of course I'm describing Autosuggest, but I'm focusing here on one of its aspects, namely suggesting terminology in quite a nifty way.

This is where, I believe, Wordfast Classic shines. You can assign different colours to different glossaries and when adding a term you can define EXACTLY and with two clicks, which glossary you want the term to go to. With Deja Vu it's, unfortunately, a torment. You can add numerous glossaries, but when adding a term you can't quickly and painlessly indicate which termbase it should go to. What you can do is go to Project/Properties/Termbases, tick the termbase of your choice, and then add a term. It would be much easier if a window popped up asking you which termbase you want the term to go to, instead of simply putting it to all those that have the "Write" option ticked in Project?

As for proper names, numbers and highlighting terms. I believe it's not too difficult to make it an option.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aha! Sorry, I get it now … Aug 10, 2015

pro-lingua wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

pro-lingua wrote:

Of course I'm describing Autosuggest, but I'm focusing here on one of its aspects, namely suggesting terminology in quite a nifty way.

This is where, I believe, Wordfast Classic shines. You can assign different colours to different glossaries and when adding a term you can define EXACTLY and with two clicks, which glossary you want the term to go to. With Deja Vu it's, unfortunately, a torment. You can add numerous glossaries, but when adding a term you can't quickly and painlessly indicate which termbase it should go to. What you can do is go to Project/Properties/Termbases, tick the termbase of your choice, and then add a term. It would be much easier if a window popped up asking you which termbase you want the term to go to, instead of simply putting it to all those that have the "Write" option ticked in Project?

As for proper names, numbers and highlighting terms. I believe it's not too difficult to make it an option.

…you type the first few letters of the src term, not of the target term (which you obviously don't know yet). Yeah, that's pretty cool. In CafeTran we have a really great little shortcut (F2) that calls up an alphabetical list (with pop out "folders") of all the available src-trgt hits for the segment you are in. It's very, very handy, and a super fast way to see at a glance what is available in yr termbase for the current segment.

And in CafeTran it is very easy to send term pairs to specific glossaries on-the-fly. Just click Alt+G, and select the one(s) you want to save the term pair to using the little checkboxes, and hit enter.

But the main thing CafeTran does way better than DVX here is it can use synonyms in glossaries: just separate them with a semi colon, thus:

src term;synonym2;synonym3 [TAB] trgt term;synonym2;synonym3

[Edited at 2015-08-10 12:14 GMT]

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Re Aug 10, 2015

As for Autosuggest/Autocomplete function, I still think that Wordfast Classic is the one to beat here.

That is, as far as non-TM suggestions are concerned. When translating with Wordfast, you get suggestions from MT (sentences and phrases - unfortunately in the new versions phrases come only from one MT engine, in older versions they came from two) and glossaries, but you also receive prompts for individual words (also translated by MT), proper names (AFAIK the only CAT that does th
... See more
As for Autosuggest/Autocomplete function, I still think that Wordfast Classic is the one to beat here.

That is, as far as non-TM suggestions are concerned. When translating with Wordfast, you get suggestions from MT (sentences and phrases - unfortunately in the new versions phrases come only from one MT engine, in older versions they came from two) and glossaries, but you also receive prompts for individual words (also translated by MT), proper names (AFAIK the only CAT that does that) and numbers.

However, Trados 2015 with its new Autosuggest is now very close to what Wordfast offers, as it features all the suggestions mentioned above (with the exception of proper names), plus TM suggestions and concordance findings, which may propose quite a lot of false positives, but it all depends on how you set it.

What I liked about Deja Vu was a great number of MT engines you could use (I tried with four) and Deep Miner, which seems to be something similar to concordance via autosuggest (Autowrite), but with fewer results.

As for Cafetran, I think that its autosuggest function could be slightly more developed, offering larger phrases rather than one or two words, but hey, it's just my opinion.

[Edited at 2015-08-10 17:26 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX3 new build (730)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »