Thread poster: Susan Ruusunen
Susan Ruusunen
Susan Ruusunen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:33
English to Finnish
+ ...
Sep 17, 2014

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Just stumbled upon this blog with a comic strip about a translator's life, and thought I'll share.
..at least didn't find any references to this cartoon/blog here yet.
(And sorry, didn't know how to make it smaller)

You can find more at: Tina and mouse
http://www.tina-and-mouse.com

[Edited at 2014-09-17 21:46 GMT]

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:33
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 18, 2014

Very enjoyable

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:33
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks for positing this, Sep 18, 2014

I've just spent half an hour of my meager 6-hour sleep allowance reading these comics

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:33
English
+ ...
We just can't not do nuance. Sep 18, 2014

Wonderful. Thank you for posting. (By the way, unintentionally I have turned my daughter into the mouse. After hearing me incessantly weighing the value of various words all her life, she now cannot help doing the same thing and often screams (wails?) exactly the very same thing: "What have you done to me?"). I refuse to let myself be sidetracked by further investigating the link right now, but look forward to it, you can be sure.

Edited to add a period...

[Edited at 2014-09
... See more
Wonderful. Thank you for posting. (By the way, unintentionally I have turned my daughter into the mouse. After hearing me incessantly weighing the value of various words all her life, she now cannot help doing the same thing and often screams (wails?) exactly the very same thing: "What have you done to me?"). I refuse to let myself be sidetracked by further investigating the link right now, but look forward to it, you can be sure.

Edited to add a period...

[Edited at 2014-09-18 08:44 GMT]
Collapse

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Thank you for posting it! Sep 19, 2014

What a gem!

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same here Sep 19, 2014

Suzan Hamer wrote:

... By the way, unintentionally I have turned my daughter into the mouse. After hearing me incessantly weighing the value of various words all her life, she now cannot help doing the same thing and often screams (wails?) exactly the very same thing: "What have you done to me?"). I refuse to let myself be sidetracked by further investigating the link right now, but look forward to it, you can be sure.

Paljon kiitoksia, Susan!

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:33
English to Polish
+ ...
Why oh why? Dec 2, 2014

This is a sexist story and male translators are being photoshopped out of the picture!

[Edited at 2014-12-02 11:36 GMT]

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:33
English to Polish
+ ...
Why of why? Dec 2, 2014

This is a sexist story and male translators are being photoshopped out of the picture!

Eva Obregon
Eva Obregon  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Dec 2, 2014

That was very funny, hilarious, a knee-slapper, priceless... Thank you for sharing!

Tilman Heckel
Tilman Heckel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Great! Dec 2, 2014

By the way: There is no noun that can't be verbed, but too much verbing weirds the language ...

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for posting this Dec 2, 2014

We all need a break from time to time, and this was well worth it...

marekLL
marekLL
Dutch to English
+ ...
the wit of the nuance Dec 3, 2014

I always enjoy reading something witty. This was a nice example to counterbalance the December workload.

barry fay
barry fay  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
a man or a mouse Dec 3, 2014

He He He: very insightful, er...sagacious, er...perspicacious, - knowwhatImsayin?

Susanne Effner
Susanne Effner  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Thanks for posting Dec 3, 2014

Very enjoyable.

Ashutosh Mitra
Ashutosh Mitra  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:03
Member (2011)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Great! Dec 4, 2014

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

"We are translators, mouse. We nuance." - Comic strip Tina and Mouse

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »