Is it possible to include different dialects when declaring a language pair?
Thread poster: apk12
apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:51
English to German
+ ...
Jan 22, 2015

:-]

just experienced something funny.

I was about to add the language pair:

German BAY to German BER (dialects/local variants/accents)

(I have seen a few clicks before that you can add a variant, so I wanted to add this variants after adding the new language pair.)

Now WHAT I DID SEE AFTER THE CLICK, YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE THAT.

I saw:

a) "German" (as the "language pair") (not 2 fields, but one field, i
... See more
:-]

just experienced something funny.

(I have seen a few clicks before that you can add a variant, so I wanted to add this variants after adding the new language pair.)

Now WHAT I DID SEE AFTER THE CLICK, YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE THAT.

I saw:

a) "German" (as the "language pair") (not 2 fields, but one field, it was melted without my approval)

and then

b) no, absolute no field or action link asking for the variants.

and now I am shocked.

Who is currently running the page?

Mikey? Johnny? Jules? Jimmy? Ronny? (Tom? Tim? Elsa? Liz? Roberto? Amelie? Marilyn?)

If currently Susan is running the website, can someone ask her if she has an idea what to do about it?

(If Marilyn is currently running the webpage, I am not surprised about the erm bug.) (But in all other cases I am.)

(Where's Billy.)

(And who was Henry again.)

[Edited at 2015-01-22 02:01 GMT]
Collapse

Sylvie Chartier
Sylvie Chartier  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Sooo Jan 22, 2015

What is your point???

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
What on earth Jan 23, 2015

are you talking about?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Submit a support ticket, or post in the wish list forum Jan 23, 2015

apk12 wrote:

Where were you about to post this? Were you trying to edit your profile page, or were you trying to edit a glossary item or perhaps post a job? Which section of the ProZ.com web site caused this?

Mikey? Johnny? Jules? Jimmy? Ronny? (Tom? Tim? Elsa? Liz? Roberto? Amelie? Marilyn?)

I don't think it's very productive to hold individual ProZ.com staff members accountable for an aspect of the web site that may not be their department.

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jan 24, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

apk12 wrote:

Where were you about to post this? Were you trying to edit your profile page, or were you trying to edit a glossary item or perhaps post a job? Which section of the ProZ.com web site caused this?

Not "posting", I was simply checking my profile, checking whether there are new functions I could use and spotted the "add variant". Now that it is no secret for anyone that some German variants -really- are quite tricky and absolutely hard to understand even for natives if socialized in another variant and not often jetting around the whole country, I wanted to add the "language pair" DE BAY to DE BER (and vice versa).

Actually, this is absolutely no joke, this can be absolutely required, say for non-natives who know standard German, but might have a text in DE BAY in front of them or or or.

So - I wanted to add this language pair (variant pair, I mean).

Samuel Murray wrote:

I don't think it's very productive to hold individual ProZ.com staff members accountable for an aspect of the web site that may not be their department.

Ah, this is a joke, Samuel. It refers to an old post. (See "If Marilyn is currently running the webpage, I am not surprised about the erm bug.) (But in all other cases I am.")

And/But now that you said that, let me finish the post above with:

"ah, right and where is Jared, he was the guy who knew how to ask the right question"

(Samuel: this is also a cross-referring sentence, to this old post) - but these are old topics. Currently I'm interested in getting DE BAY to DE BER and vice versa (including futur III :-] (which is also a cross-reference to an old joke, it's this here.)

[Edited at 2015-01-24 14:19 GMT]

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So? Feb 3, 2015

...so?

How to get local dialects as variants on your profile, anyone any idea?

Cesar Silva (X)
Cesar Silva (X)
Brazil
Local time: 05:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Complicated? Feb 3, 2015

I think you can simply delete you language pair (or "mono-pair) and try to set it all over again.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:51
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language variants can only be declared at the "Native language" level Feb 3, 2015

Hello,

I want to point out that language variants cannot be included in language pairs. Language variants can only be declared at the "Native language" level.

I know these categories may be confusing, so I will point them out at http://www.proz.com/settings/languages#pairs . Language pairs are shown in the first box. Variants cannot be specified there. Also, if a pai
... See more
Hello,

I want to point out that language variants cannot be included in language pairs. Language variants can only be declared at the "Native language" level.

I know these categories may be confusing, so I will point them out at http://www.proz.com/settings/languages#pairs . Language pairs are shown in the first box. Variants cannot be specified there. Also, if a pair that has the same source and target language is declared, it will be shown as a single language in your profile. That is how declaring "German to German" ended up with "German" being shown on apk12's profile.

Below the "Language pairs" box, you can see the "Native language" box. It is possible to declare variants there, and only there.

Those who want to declare they offer a service to translate from one variant of a language to another can specify that in the write-in fields on their profiles. At the moment, it is not possible to do so using the fields on profiles.

Hope this explains! Please let me know if you have any question.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to include different dialects when declaring a language pair?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »