Maria Iglesia Ramos
Maria Iglesia Ramos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 18, 2014

Hello,

I intend to create my own Web site, but I am not sure how to do that. Is it worth to have a Web site company do it at a good price or is it better to do it yourself?

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you in advance

Maria

Translations2u
Translations2u
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:40
DIY is OK; it's all down to budget Aug 18, 2014

Hi!

Companies that provide these services can be very expensive especially if you want SEO services along with it, which many will try to sell you in addition to just creating your website.

If you just want a simple website promoting your services, i.e. a few pages only, it is worth trying to do it yourself. Sites such as wix offer quite simple options. It is best to have keywords you want to be found for prepared in advance to be used in the text in your website so you
... See more
Hi!

Companies that provide these services can be very expensive especially if you want SEO services along with it, which many will try to sell you in addition to just creating your website.

If you just want a simple website promoting your services, i.e. a few pages only, it is worth trying to do it yourself. Sites such as wix offer quite simple options. It is best to have keywords you want to be found for prepared in advance to be used in the text in your website so your site can be found in the search engines, if this is why you want a website, of course.

You can use free tools like google keyword planner to determine which key words/phrases are most likely to return results. You would make a list of phrases you want to be found for first. Then include some of these (not too many) in your website text.

Then you have to submit your site to the search engines and reputable directories which is far less daunting than it sounds.

I have done this using wix and it's worked for me although I wouldn't recommend it if you want a large site with many pages.

Hiring someone to do it is easiest if you really don't want to do it yourself but it all depends on your budget.

Suerte!
Collapse

Translations2u
Translations2u
United Kingdom
Beware though.. Aug 18, 2014

I would also advise you to beware of companies you've never heard of contacting you regarding such services at a cheap price. If you can't afford a company that someone serious recommends to you, perhaps you should try to do it yourself.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:40
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Weebly Aug 18, 2014

You might try weebly.com, which has a very easy to use drag-and-drop interface. You can start with a free site which is yourdomain.weebly.com, then once you are comfortable you can buy your own domain, still hosted by weebly but for a relatively inexpensive fee.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:40
French to German
+ ...
Take a professional Aug 18, 2014

I think a professional translator should have a professional website. If not this does not make good impression.

I'd take a freelancer specialized on that kind of service who lives in your town. Have a look on what websites they already have done, speak to people in your region to know who has done their homepages, ask them in order to know if they were satisfied, compare prices... I met about 10 people before finding the right one at a price which was alright for me.

L
... See more
I think a professional translator should have a professional website. If not this does not make good impression.

I'd take a freelancer specialized on that kind of service who lives in your town. Have a look on what websites they already have done, speak to people in your region to know who has done their homepages, ask them in order to know if they were satisfied, compare prices... I met about 10 people before finding the right one at a price which was alright for me.

Last but not least: Pay attention that the page is actually yours and ask how much it costs if you need to change some words after the homepage has been finished...
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
I built mine Aug 18, 2014

I am a freelance graphic artist when not translating, so I built my own site. I like Weebly because it's easy to use and it has some extra tools for advanced users that a lot of other services don't provide (Weebly will let you edit or add your own code directly - which I prefer over running everything through my FTP servers and all that fun stuff). It is a little more difficult to have multiple languages, though.

I'm not sure how useful keywords are going to be in regards to SEO, a
... See more
I am a freelance graphic artist when not translating, so I built my own site. I like Weebly because it's easy to use and it has some extra tools for advanced users that a lot of other services don't provide (Weebly will let you edit or add your own code directly - which I prefer over running everything through my FTP servers and all that fun stuff). It is a little more difficult to have multiple languages, though.

I'm not sure how useful keywords are going to be in regards to SEO, at least in a large scale/general sense. There are so many agencies and freelancers in the world, not to mention Bing and Google trying to get as many people as possible to use their services, it's easy to get lost. I would suggest focusing on your local and specialty market, since that is what will probably bring the best results.

Just to give you an idea on costs, I typically charge about $600 for a simple website, which includes a year's worth of hosting and no extra charge for small changes during that year. It also comes with email accounts and a second language (you'll have to provide the translation ^_^). I also work with a professional copywriter if you need help in that area. I call it the Translator Special.
Collapse

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:40
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
DIY Aug 19, 2014

Buy a domain name and hosting (Linux based, for WordPress installation)- will cost you about $30-40 per year.
If you are not comfortable installing WordPress yourself, you can hire someone from the Fiver site to do it for you for $5 (basic installation).
There are plenty of free WP themes to choose from and WP is very easy to learn and operate...

Good luck

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I always recommend Weebly Aug 19, 2014

• It's especially great for SEO
• You can edit your content whenever you want without involving a second party
• When you're ready to take it to the next level, just hire a designer to add some graphic elements to your site.
• My domain and Weebly's starter package cost me about £45.00 a year.

What's not to like?

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:40
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Not Weebly Aug 19, 2014

I find Weebly's lack of pricing reference on their homepage highly suspect. Based on this review, you need to upgrade to Pro plan, at USD6.63 per month - assuming you're committing to two-year contract, just to get a site search. You can get it, and other Weebly's premium features, at about the same rate as its Starter plan of USD3.29 per month, if you host your webs... See more
I find Weebly's lack of pricing reference on their homepage highly suspect. Based on this review, you need to upgrade to Pro plan, at USD6.63 per month - assuming you're committing to two-year contract, just to get a site search. You can get it, and other Weebly's premium features, at about the same rate as its Starter plan of USD3.29 per month, if you host your website yourself. The rate usually includes your very own email(s), which is another USD45 per year with Weebly.
If you're hosting the website yourself, it will only cost about USD100 for the first year. The followings are the breakdowns of the expense:

• Domain name: USD12 per year for generic TLD. This rate usually includes privacy protection.

• Web hosting service: At around USD4 per month, it is USD48 per year.

• WordPress theme: On average, premium theme is around USD40.

Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
@Mulyadi Aug 19, 2014

1. A site search for a three/four-page translator's website is pretty useless.
2. HTML is your friend

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:40
English to Indonesian
+ ...
still not Weebly Aug 20, 2014

Interesting points, Diana. If you love hand coding the html yourself and just need a couple of pages, there are much better alternatives than Weebly, i.e., Blogger, and tumblr. Both are free and allows the use of custom domain without having to buy it from them.
The love of hand coding is also the reason I'm having my
... See more
Interesting points, Diana. If you love hand coding the html yourself and just need a couple of pages, there are much better alternatives than Weebly, i.e., Blogger, and tumblr. Both are free and allows the use of custom domain without having to buy it from them.
The love of hand coding is also the reason I'm having my website on Blogger. I recommend WordPress to my web design clients though, as they don't have to deal with coding, thus can focus more on the content.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create a Web site

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »