Using WhatsApp? Facebook wants your data!
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 11:36
Aug 27, 2016

Using WhatsApp? Consider to deactivate the sharing of data with Facebook. See the W settings.

Two years after buying W, FB starts doing what it promised not to do: harvesting your W data.

[Edited at 2016-08-27 06:17 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Cafe (or @Tran) Aug 27, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:
Using WhatsApp? Consider to deactivate the sharing of data with Facebook.

Apparently, over the next few days when people log in to WhatsApp, they'll be asked to consent to the updated terms. Instead of clicking "Agree" (or suchlike), click the tiny word "read" to go to a page that contains the new terms. On that page, there is a checkbox that you can uncheck, that allows WhatsApp to share your phone number with Facebook. You can apparently also change this setting any time for the next 30 days and it'll stick.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Next update: the circus begins again Aug 27, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:
Using WhatsApp? Consider to deactivate the sharing of data with Facebook.

Apparently, over the next few days when people log in to WhatsApp, they'll be asked to consent to the updated terms. Instead of clicking "Agree" (or suchlike), click the tiny word "read" to go to a page that contains the new terms. On that page, there is a checkbox that you can uncheck, that allows WhatsApp to share your phone number with Facebook. You can apparently also change this setting any time for the next 30 days and it'll stick.

You can be pretty sure that with the next of WhatsApp's frequent updates, the setting will be on again.

Here you can deactivate some sharing of data with FB:

IMG_4140

(Sorry for the Dutch GUI)

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Is there a true opt-out? Aug 27, 2016

I can't get the English terms and conditions on my screen. The language selection on the website doesn't work.

But the German version states clearly that there is no real opt-out at all.
See https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/general/26000016, see the next to last paragraph.

Opt-out means just "Do not use the info for certain purposes". But there are other potentia
... See more
I can't get the English terms and conditions on my screen. The language selection on the website doesn't work.

But the German version states clearly that there is no real opt-out at all.
See https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/general/26000016, see the next to last paragraph.

Opt-out means just "Do not use the info for certain purposes". But there are other potential purposes ...
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:36
Serbian to English
+ ...
the day you are willing to pay for services provided Aug 27, 2016

start complaining about what you data is used for.

Until then, like it or not, YOU are the product being sold to advertisers - the real clients of all "free apps" FB & co

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Luckily, there are alternatives Aug 28, 2016

Daryo wrote:

start complaining about what you data is used for.

Until then, like it or not, YOU are the product being sold to advertisers - the real clients of all "free apps" FB & co

How sad, isn't it?

Luckily, there are good alternatives: Signal, Threema or Wire.

About Wire:

It’s your data
No popups, takeovers, banners or anything like that. Your conversations belong to you. We can’t read anything, and neither can anyone else. As opposed to many messaging apps, we never sell usage data to advertisers

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Daryo Aug 28, 2016

Daryo wrote:
The day you are willing to pay for services provided, start complaining about what you data is used for.

WhatsApp does not offer a paid option in exchange for better privacy. And while it's possible to use other chat programs, those programs can't communicate with other WhatsApp users.

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Sep 1, 2016

I was able to uncheck FB sharing in my Privacy settings, using Cafetran's screenshot.

Klaus Baumann
Klaus Baumann
Denmark
German to English
+ ...
what data do they harvest? Sep 1, 2016

and why does it disturb you?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
iOS 10 Sep 14, 2016

After upgrading to iOS 10, I noticed that a new version of WhatsApp was installed. This version no longer contains the option to opt out. This part is no longer visible:

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 09.21.26

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
My WhatsApp has no options at all! Sep 14, 2016

The only thing I can do with it is sending/receiving apps. That's it. No settings or whatever to be found!

[Edited at 2016-09-14 20:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-09-14 21:47 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Germany says no! Sep 28, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Using WhatsApp? Consider to deactivate the sharing of data with Facebook. See the W settings.

Two years after buying W, FB starts doing what it promised not to do: harvesting your W data.

[Edited at 2016-08-27 06:17 GMT]

German authorities forbid WhatsApp to share data with Facebook. Not all is lost.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using WhatsApp? Facebook wants your data!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »