Martina Rotondi
Martina Rotondi  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 03:24
German to Italian
+ ...
Apr 22, 2015

Hello,

I will move to Graz very soon and I need advice on Internet connection.

It won't be possible to use classic DSL with phone line in my house. I need high-speed Internet with no limit as I will also use Skype quite often.

Any help?
Thank you

M.

[Modificato alle 2015-04-22 08:13 GMT]

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:24
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Satellite broadband Apr 22, 2015

Can you install a satellite dish? Are you staying long-term?
Two-way satellite internet services have become very affordable, fast and reliable (IMO better than landline-based broadband).
There will be other providers, but have a look at Tooway or VSat.

Martina Rotondi
Austria
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure Apr 22, 2015

dianaft wrote:

Can you install a satellite dish? Are you staying long-term?
Two-way satellite internet services have become very affordable, fast and reliable (IMO better than landline-based broadband).
There will be other providers, but have a look at Tooway or VSat.

Hi,
Thank you for your help.
I am staying there at least 1 year, but as I'm not the owner of the house I'm not sure if I can install a satellite. I'd prefer to find a different solution in order to avoid bothering the owner..

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Various possibiilities Apr 22, 2015

Your house may already have cable TV connections; in such a case, the local provider in Graz (UPC) also offers Internet through the cable.

Of course, there's always the hook up through your mobile, but you'd need a contract that includes a lot of data transmission (mobile costs in Austria are low); I don't know how fast it is - I only use it in an emergency and it's slow, but I live in the heart of the countryside where cover is bad anyway.

Martina Rotondi
Austria
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cable doesn't work Apr 22, 2015

David Wright wrote:

Your house may already have cable TV connections; in such a case, the local provider in Graz (UPC) also offers Internet through the cable.

Of course, there's always the hook up through your mobile, but you'd need a contract that includes a lot of data transmission (mobile costs in Austria are low); I don't know how fast it is - I only use it in an emergency and it's slow, but I live in the heart of the countryside where cover is bad anyway.

Hi David,

sorry I misunderstood. I'll try to ask for this solution!Thank you !!

[Modificato alle 2015-04-22 14:45 GMT]

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Have a look : Apr 22, 2015

https://www.tarife.at/

MFG

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Satellite - contact the owner of your house/flat... Apr 22, 2015

After what I've read the only way will be satellite. It's right that you are not always allowed to install a satellite if you are in an appartment, but if you hire a house it's normally possible. You should check that with the owner of the location before hiring though because if the person does not agree, you will not be able to work from home.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:24
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dongle Apr 22, 2015

I have a landline connection in the UK, but I have a 3Connect "dongle" from H3G for which I pay about eight GBP a month to keep it active. I use it any time I am away from home. I should think it would work for you.

Martina Rotondi
Austria
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have you ever heard about NAKED DSL? Apr 22, 2015

http://www.miex.at/index.php/privat/internetprivat/dsl-naked-austria#preise

[Modificato alle 2015-04-22 11:45 GMT]

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Naked DSL Apr 22, 2015

According to the website you still need a landline access (A1 being the provider).

Why exactly can you not use the phone line for internet?

[Edited at 2015-04-22 13:20 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Something is clear, something is unclear ... Apr 22, 2015

Ok, let me recapitulate.

1. You don't want a standard DSL + phone combination. Unfortunately you haven't explained, why.

2. You are considering "naked DSL". Depending on the answer to #1, this is impossible, because it needs the same landline that would be needed for #1.

3. You don't want to use Internet via cable TV, because one person advised you against that. Unfortunately we don't know anything about whether that person is technically qualified at all
... See more
Ok, let me recapitulate.

1. You don't want a standard DSL + phone combination. Unfortunately you haven't explained, why.

2. You are considering "naked DSL". Depending on the answer to #1, this is impossible, because it needs the same landline that would be needed for #1.

3. You don't want to use Internet via cable TV, because one person advised you against that. Unfortunately we don't know anything about whether that person is technically qualified at all.

4. You don't want 3G. Unfortunately you haven't explained, why.

5. You want to use Skype intensively. But experts advise you against satellite connections for Skype (latencies are too long.) Anyway it is expensive, and many tariffs include a Fair-use clause (i. e. the speed might be throttled).

Now it's your turn. Did I understand you correctly?
Collapse

Martina Rotondi
Austria
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's not working well in that district Apr 22, 2015

David Wright wrote:

According to the website you still need a landline access (A1 being the provider).

Why exactly can you not use the phone line for internet?

[Edited at 2015-04-22 13:20 GMT]

The DSL with phone line isn't working good in that district: it's very slow. That's why I'm looking for different solutions. In Italy for example you can get unlimited high-speed Internet also without cable (eg. Eolo)..so I hope to find something similar in Austria

Martina Rotondi
Austria
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to be clear... Apr 22, 2015

Rolf Keller wrote:

Ok, let me recapitulate.

3. You don't want to use Internet via cable TV, because one person advised you against that. Unfortunately we don't know anything about whether that person is technically qualified at all.

4. You don't want 3G. Unfortunately you haven't explained, why.

5. You want to use Skype intensively. But experts advise you against satellite connections for Skype (latencies are too long.) Anyway it is expensive, and many tariffs include a Fair-use clause (i. e. the speed might be throttled).

Now it's your turn. Did I understand you correctly?

1.I would love to have standard DSL+phone combination but as I said the owner has said to me that standard DSL with phone cable isn't working in that district!

2.I didn't know that naked DSL could need a cable, now I know it..

3. I misunderstood about "Internet cable TV". If this is possible that could work!!
4. I need a stable Internet connection. I've 3G here in Italy and I'am not happy with it beacause it has limits and it's very slow.

5. Yes, I need to use Skype quite often.

[Modificato alle 2015-04-22 14:37 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2015-04-22 14:45 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Local Availability Check Apr 22, 2015

Martina Rotondi wrote:

I would love to have standard DSL+phone combination but as I said the owner has said to me that standard DSL with phone cable isn't working in that district!

Your landlords info could be outdated. Try A1's Availability Check for that house's address:
http://ppp.a1.net/amp/index.sp

A1 is the owner of all the phone cables in Graz. Unfortunately the check is in German language, but you should manage to enter the address.

Martina Rotondi
Austria
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It says Apr 22, 2015

Rolf Keller wrote:

Martina Rotondi wrote:

I would love to have standard DSL+phone combination but as I said the owner has said to me that standard DSL with phone cable isn't working in that district!

Your landlords info could be outdated. Try A1's Availability Check for that house's address:
http://ppp.a1.net/amp/index.sp

A1 is the owner of all the phone cables in Graz. Unfortunately the check is in German language, but you should manage to enter the address.

Hi Rolf,

My landlords said they've tried it for one year and it was really slow.
I've entered my address, it says:

"Internet bis max. 16 Mbit/smobiles Netz 4G/LTE HD TV"

Is it good?

[Modificato alle 2015-04-22 15:48 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Austria:Internet with DSL but no phone line

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »