Sebastian Wasserzug
Sebastian Wasserzug  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:14
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 4, 2015

Hi!, and thanks fopr any help with this.

In the film The Great Escape, the following dialogue takes place:

German officer: We’re both grounded for the duration of the war...
American officer: Speak for yourself, Coronel.

I would like to know how the American’s phrase has been translated into German in the German version of the film. The link to the German-dubbed film is here below, and this dialogue happens at 17:20. A friend is telling me th
... See more
Hi!, and thanks fopr any help with this.

In the film The Great Escape, the following dialogue takes place:

German officer: We’re both grounded for the duration of the war...
American officer: Speak for yourself, Coronel.

I would like to know how the American’s phrase has been translated into German in the German version of the film. The link to the German-dubbed film is here below, and this dialogue happens at 17:20. A friend is telling me that in the German version, the American says:

“Auch sie dass vielleicht mal zutreffen.”

Is this so? Or, if not, what does he say in German, how does the whole exchange work, and how would you translate the movie dialogue into English? (literally and less so). Unfortunately I do not speak any German!, so explications in English much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPIDqD_drAA
Collapse

Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch
Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:14
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
s.u. Jul 4, 2015

"(Sie hatten das Pech, abgeschossen zu werden) und sind genau wie ich gezwungen, den Rest des Krieges auf der Erde zu verbringen."

"Auf sie mag das vielleicht zutreffen."

Elke Adams
Elke Adams  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
"Auf Sie mag das vielleicht zutreffen" ("Sie", nicht "sie") Jul 4, 2015

Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch wrote:

"(Sie hatten das Pech, abgeschossen zu werden) und sind genau wie ich gezwungen, den Rest des Krieges auf der Erde zu verbringen."

"Auf sie mag das vielleicht zutreffen."

Sebastian Wasserzug
Argentina
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the replies!! Jul 4, 2015

Thank you Matthias and Elke!!

Can I also ask you to translate the phrases for me...? (sorry, but I actually speak no German!).

I *think* I understand the American officer goes something like, "That might (perhaps) be true for you, Colonel."

Would that be correct?

And, what would a more "literal" (kind of word-for-word) translation be?, and a more idiomatic one? (would this last be something as above: "Maybe you will !" [be grounded / withou
... See more
Thank you Matthias and Elke!!

Can I also ask you to translate the phrases for me...? (sorry, but I actually speak no German!).

I *think* I understand the American officer goes something like, "That might (perhaps) be true for you, Colonel."

Would that be correct?

And, what would a more "literal" (kind of word-for-word) translation be?, and a more idiomatic one? (would this last be something as above: "Maybe you will !" [be grounded / without flying]).

THANKS A LOT!!
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Besser: "auf dem Boden" Jul 4, 2015

... nicht "auf der Erde", schließlich kamen die Alliierten nicht mit UFOs aus dem All
Man spricht auch von Bodenkrieg, Boden-Luft-Raketen, bodengestützten Einheiten etc.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Back-translation Jul 4, 2015

Fairly approximately the German says "That might be the case for you". I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of your request.

Sebastian Wasserzug
Argentina
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Jul 4, 2015

Thank you again!

And thanks David -that’s exactly what I meant (sorry for not being clear!)

So, “Auf Sie mag das vielleicht zutreffen“ could be translated as, "That might be the case for you." Great!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translation of a phrase into German in a 1963 film

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »