Test translation
Thread poster: Domagoj
Domagoj
Domagoj
Local time: 08:58
German to Croatian
+ ...
Jul 16, 2014

Well, I did a test translation for a big agency, and just got back the results I failed the test, but the thing is, their reviewer was wrong in several instances. I have marked those errors, and have commented on them (and have provided examples), so my question now is should I expect to hear from them again? Or should I just make my peace with the situation?

I should probably say that I am a new in the freelance worl
... See more
Well, I did a test translation for a big agency, and just got back the results I failed the test, but the thing is, their reviewer was wrong in several instances. I have marked those errors, and have commented on them (and have provided examples), so my question now is should I expect to hear from them again? Or should I just make my peace with the situation?

I should probably say that I am a new in the freelance world, so am not really familiar with the process. Thanks for your answers.

Cheers!
Doma
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:58
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. It really depends. Jul 17, 2014

You may expect anything, but you should fight for your rights. Sometimes the test viewers might not be qualified enough--80% of cases, in my opinion.

Domagoj
Domagoj
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Lilian Jul 17, 2014

But I guess they'll support their reviewer. This is very frustrating!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:58
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Did they have a real job lined up for you? Jul 17, 2014

If they did then it's worth making a bit of a fuss, perhaps, though you've already done the right thing by pointing out the facts. If it was just to get onto their database then there was only a very slim chance of it ever coming to actual work anyway. Particularly if it's one of those companies that ask for all sorts of things from you, including a free test, but who won't even say upfront whether they'll agree to pay your rates.

This is by no means an unusual situation. What you'v
... See more
If they did then it's worth making a bit of a fuss, perhaps, though you've already done the right thing by pointing out the facts. If it was just to get onto their database then there was only a very slim chance of it ever coming to actual work anyway. Particularly if it's one of those companies that ask for all sorts of things from you, including a free test, but who won't even say upfront whether they'll agree to pay your rates.

This is by no means an unusual situation. What you've lost is a possible chance to work for a company that will have your texts proofread by someone you have absolutely no faith in. Is that much of a loss? You time would probably be much better spent contacting other, better, potential clients.
Collapse

Domagoj
Domagoj
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Sheila Jul 17, 2014

Well, I checked the agency on the BB here, and it has a perfect rating! That's why I cannot believe this. I believe they did have a real job lined up, and they asked for all sorts of things, including examples of my previous translations (which is OK). I don't mind doing the test translation but it would be nice to get a proper review!

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
the customer is always right, even when the customer is wrong Jul 18, 2014

I would let it go in all honesty. Either they are wrong or you are, only you are the service provider and they are the customer. And the customer is always right, even when the customer is wrong.

Looking back at my days as a PM: I remember a translator who queried my assessment of his test translation: he provided a slew of web pages using the terms I had marked as wrong, as proof that they were indeed fully valid. However, the reason that we were looking for a translator was becau
... See more
I would let it go in all honesty. Either they are wrong or you are, only you are the service provider and they are the customer. And the customer is always right, even when the customer is wrong.

Looking back at my days as a PM: I remember a translator who queried my assessment of his test translation: he provided a slew of web pages using the terms I had marked as wrong, as proof that they were indeed fully valid. However, the reason that we were looking for a translator was because the woman who had been doing all the jobs for this end client was going on maternity leave. We wanted a seamless changeover, so that the end client didn't realise that there had been a change.

To this end, we had deliberately left the name of the end client in the text, so any translator worth his salt who does proper research would find the client's website and use their terminology.

The exception of course being if there were serious issues with said terminology. In this case there were issues regarding British and US usage, and a couple of terms which were more or less interchangeable. So the terms the translator used were perfectly legit, just not suitable for this client at this time.
Collapse

Ying-Ju Fang

Domagoj
Domagoj
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Texte Style Jul 22, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

And that's exactly what I'll do

Looking back at my days as a PM: I remember a translator who queried my assessment of his test translation: he provided a slew of web pages using the terms I had marked as wrong, as proof that they were indeed fully valid. However, the reason that we were looking for a translator was because the woman who had been doing all the jobs for this end client was going on maternity leave. We wanted a seamless changeover, so that the end client didn't realise that there had been a change.

To this end, we had deliberately left the name of the end client in the text, so any translator worth his salt who does proper research would find the client's website and use their terminology.

The exception of course being if there were serious issues with said terminology. In this case there were issues regarding British and US usage, and a couple of terms which were more or less interchangeable. So the terms the translator used were perfectly legit, just not suitable for this client at this time.

Don't really know what to say...A translator has to be a mind reader too? Although this wasn't the case with my test translation (at least I think it wasn't), it's good to know But seriously, you think this was fair? Why not tell the poor translator what you expect(ed) of him/her; I am sure s/he would have used (for this project) suitable terminology, and it would have been a win-win case

Anyhow, thanks!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Test translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »