Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:43
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You still have to abide by tax laws Nov 21, 2014

luke mersh wrote:
I am a mature student accepting small jobs and not charging much for the work.

If you need to be registered for VAT from the first job in Portugal then that applies to you too AFAIK. That's how it is here so even if it's optional where you are you'll find it causes problems when invoicing clients in Spain.

Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Help needed on getting established Nov 21, 2014

It seems that from my simple question it has gone too far into it.

As far as I know ....you only pay tax when you earn a certain amount of money.
Which I will discuss with an account when the time comes.

All I want to know is what things do I need to know when starting out.

Like the things that have already been mentioned plus others that haven't.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
We know what we're talking about :) Nov 21, 2014

luke mersh wrote:
It seems that from my simple question it has gone too far into it.

As far as I know ....you only pay tax when you earn a certain amount of money.
Which I will discuss with an account when the time comes.

All I want to know is what things do I need to know when starting out

You're confusing income tax, which you probably won't be liable for, with VAT. If VAT is due, it's due: no exceptions!

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Help needed on getting established Nov 21, 2014

This is very confusing, it was only a thought.

First I need the work, to be able earn.
Then once the work starts coming , then I would start the tax procedure.

At the moment I just want to know what I need to get started as the thread says.

Please help with original question.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
VAT Nov 21, 2014

Hi Luke,

In the UK we don't need to register for VAT unless our earnings exceed a certain threshold. I googled the situation for Portugal and found this:

'VAT Registration
There is no registration threshold. Unless they opt otherwise, businesses with an annual turnover below EUR 10.000,00 do need to register but will be covered by a special exemption regime, on condition that they do not import or export goods.'

So it looks like you do need to
... See more
Hi Luke,

In the UK we don't need to register for VAT unless our earnings exceed a certain threshold. I googled the situation for Portugal and found this:

'VAT Registration
There is no registration threshold. Unless they opt otherwise, businesses with an annual turnover below EUR 10.000,00 do need to register but will be covered by a special exemption regime, on condition that they do not import or export goods.'

So it looks like you do need to register for VAT before you start trading (even though you won't be earning much), but you will probably be exempt. It's probably just a case of filling in a form.

I think you need to contact the tax authorities in your country about this - if it is like the UK they will be very helpful and tell you exactly what you need to know, and send you the right form to fill in.

Rachel
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
help needed getting established Nov 21, 2014

Thats great news as I am a UK resident.

but would probably start work from here in Portugal ,as I am based here at the moment.

It seems there is no other things mentioned that I need before starting out.

I am slowing changing my profile here on the website and slowing preparing myself.

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Talk to a accountant in Portugal - now! Nov 22, 2014

luke mersh wrote:

... I am a UK resident.

but would probably start work from here in Portugal

If you don't get savvy - quick - about EU VAT regulations, you're heading for big trouble; always assuming you manage to earn some income from your first job as a translator/interpreter.

Jennifer Levey
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
'Communication' is 90% of translation Nov 22, 2014

luke mersh wrote:
... you have misread my message...

That's seems to be one of your 'standard' responses to suggestions made by colleagues here on Proz. To such an extent that it begs the question: "Was your message/enquiry clearly expressed from the outset?"

Luke, face the facts: you are trying to enter a fiercely competitive professional activity (that's especially true in the es/en language pair) and you are repeatedly failing to communicate effectively.

As a former woodwork teacher was fond of telling me (45 years ago): "Measure it twice - cut it once." He was also keen that we should 'do our homework' before asking questions.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
help needed getting established Nov 22, 2014

Lets not get too carried away with this, its getting a little bit beyond me at the mo.

I understand that once I start earning money I will have to sort out tax,but everybody here has gone off topic---
can we all go back to the main issue of giving me any additional advice getting established please.

I am not yet working,so the issue of tax is not relevant at this moment in time.

Jennifer Levey
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Keep your nose clean - from - nay, before - DAY 1! Nov 22, 2014

luke mersh wrote:

... once I start earning money I will have to sort out tax ... the issue of tax is not relevant at this moment in time.

Don't kid yourself. If you get into the taxman's 'black book', you'll spend the next 40 years trying to clear your name.

Any sensible businessman's first 'port of call' is an accountant or tax adviser. Be the exception to the rule at your own risk and peril!

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:43
English to Dutch
+ ...
Valuable advice Nov 22, 2014

luke mersh wrote:

Apart from what has already been mentioned is there anything else I should know.?

I have read on an other thread about invoices and VAT...

As a freelancer I am able to send invoices through Paypal, but I do not have a VAT number, is this an issue?

People here are giving you valuable advice in answer to your own questions. Seems like a good idea to me to take this on board as they are obviously experienced in this area.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Help needed on getting established Nov 22, 2014

Yes I know that all the information given is valuable.

I guess what I should be asking is....

So far on this site I have specified the days I can work and the rate I charge per word plus the amount per day....

what I would like to know is what should I do once a client contacts me about work and I am willing to accept the work??

not counting the VAT at the moment..... is there anything I should discuss with the client?

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Briefly Nov 22, 2014

luke mersh wrote:
is there anything I should discuss with the client?

Purchase order number
Source file format
Target file format
Deadline including timezone
Terms and conditions (maybe link to ITI's T&C)
Rate per word
Payment terms (e.g. 30 days after invoicing)

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Help needed on getting established Nov 22, 2014

Thanks thats useful too...

would I still be able to take on projects without VAT number??

Mirjam Ottens
Mirjam Ottens  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:43
English to Dutch
+ ...
To VAT or not to VAT Nov 22, 2014

luke mersh wrote:
So far on this site I have specified the days I can work and the rate I charge per word plus the amount per day....

not counting the VAT at the moment..... is there anything I should discuss with the client?

I know you want to deal with the VAT issue later, but your potential client will want to know whether the rate you mentioned is inclusive or exclusive of VAT. If you do not indicate this, the client may assume your rate is inclusive of VAT and you may end up with being paid a lower rate that you expected.

[Edited at 2014-11-22 12:45 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed on getting established

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »