Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:33
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Communication can take many forms Jan 26, 2015

I'm really happy for you Luke and hope you do well.

I don't want to cause any bad feeling, so please take the following as it's meant: as constructive criticism. It's all too easy to cross the border between communicating and spamming, i.e. communication of anything (or nothing) to anyone who will listen. We've clearly helped you with your initial query so I'd say this thread has run its course after 90 entries.
... See more
I'm really happy for you Luke and hope you do well.

I don't want to cause any bad feeling, so please take the following as it's meant: as constructive criticism. It's all too easy to cross the border between communicating and spamming, i.e. communication of anything (or nothing) to anyone who will listen. We've clearly helped you with your initial query so I'd say this thread has run its course after 90 entries.

Please feel free to communicate on specific matters in the future, though - that's what the forums are here for.
Collapse

Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
End of thread Jan 26, 2015

I agree with you.
Thank you for all your help.
I will follow all your advice and if I have anything in specific, I will start a new thread.

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Website Jan 26, 2015

Luke Mersh wrote:

Just in case there is some problem with the link:
www.lukemershtranslations.co.uk

regards

Luke, before you quit this thread, here comes a bit more unsolicited ‘constructive criticism’.

Now we finally have a link to your website, what does it tell us about you?

Frankly, nothing that’s going to advance your new career in the direction you’re hoping.

Your site – and above all the sample translations - are literally full of errors. And I’m only talking about the basic use of English: grammar, spelling, punctuation and general phraseology/idiom. I don’t do medical translations and will refrain from commenting on the technical terminology.

Also you exhibit dubious ethics regarding client confidentiality, though the publication of the full name of a person who registered a complaint about immunization procedures. The complainant and his family deserve the same respect from you as ‘Doctor Bloggs’.

Suggestion: Hide your website from public view ASAP to avoid doing further harm to your chances of getting translation work, and keep it hidden until you've got it fixed.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
website Jan 27, 2015

Thank you for your advice.

I will certainly try to rectify any errors.
As for the letter of complaint, this is not a real sample, but one that was created for a test I had to do.
regards

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
getting established Apr 20, 2015

Well since the last post.
I have been taking webinars and hope to take training on SDL Trados soon.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
help getting established. Apr 20, 2015

course and training completed:
attended Terminology Lists for Medicine & Healthcare - Level 1 (T06-W90)
Terminology Lists for Medicine & Healthcare - Level 2 (T11-W90)
Practical Spanish to English translation quality assurance 1 – Terminology
Practical Spanish to English translation quality assurance 2 - Style

next training project
Starting to work as a translator, gaining experience, improving services provided, spreading the word
... See more
course and training completed:
attended Terminology Lists for Medicine & Healthcare - Level 1 (T06-W90)
Terminology Lists for Medicine & Healthcare - Level 2 (T11-W90)
Practical Spanish to English translation quality assurance 1 – Terminology
Practical Spanish to English translation quality assurance 2 - Style

next training project
Starting to work as a translator, gaining experience, improving services provided, spreading the word

Current software
Wordfast Anywhere
Microsoft word

I have been using Trados Demo software for practising and have purchased
"Mats Linders- Studio 2014: The Manual"
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed on getting established

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »