Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2014

I have just seen a ProZ job posting which seeks a translator to translate and certify some documents:
" I am looking for a translator European Portuguese - British English who can translate AND certify three diplomas: one high school diploma and two university diplomas (engineering and physics), preferably by tomorrow (28/11)"
I would like to know what certification entails, as this is an area I could explore, maybe not this time because of the tight deadline, but in the future.
... See more
I have just seen a ProZ job posting which seeks a translator to translate and certify some documents:
" I am looking for a translator European Portuguese - British English who can translate AND certify three diplomas: one high school diploma and two university diplomas (engineering and physics), preferably by tomorrow (28/11)"
I would like to know what certification entails, as this is an area I could explore, maybe not this time because of the tight deadline, but in the future.
I assume I would have to buy a stamp with the words "TRANSLATED BY.... CERTIFIED BY THE BRAZILIAN TRANSLATORS' ASSOCIATION (ABRATES) No..." and stamp and sign the documents, and then scan them and send them to the client (or post them by snail mail). ['Certified' here, in this last usage, refers to myself as a translator, not to the work]
The point is that if 'certification' is in any way related to sworn translations, then I could not offer this service because, due to legal restrictions (not having Brazilian citizenship) I am unable to do sworn translations.
Please shed some light on this, as if I can indeed certify documents I shall order a stamp as soon as possible, to avoid any missed opportunities.
Collapse

Maksym Petrov
Maksym Petrov
Ukraine
Local time: 15:40
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Notary certification Nov 27, 2014

I guess it means a certificate of accuracy of a translator sworn to a notary public or civil law notary. Like this:

CERTIFICATE OF ACCURACY

The undersigned, ____________________, certifies that s/he is fluent in the
____________________ and English languages, that s/he made the attached
translation from the attached document in the _______________ language and, hereby,
certifies that the same is a true and complete translation to the best of his/her... See more
I guess it means a certificate of accuracy of a translator sworn to a notary public or civil law notary. Like this:

CERTIFICATE OF ACCURACY

The undersigned, ____________________, certifies that s/he is fluent in the
____________________ and English languages, that s/he made the attached
translation from the attached document in the _______________ language and, hereby,
certifies that the same is a true and complete translation to the best of his/her
knowledge, ability and belief.
Subscribed and sworn to before me this ______ day of __________ , 20__.

[Edited at 2014-11-27 18:56 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Muller (X)
Andrea Muller (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
English to German
+ ...
It depends... Nov 27, 2014

I think it can depend on in which country the document will be used for, or for which purpose.
As you say the document is to be translated into British English, here's what the ITI has to say on the subject.

http://www.iti.org.uk/about-industry/certification-sworn

"Many translation buyers believe that a professional translator has to be “certifie
... See more
I think it can depend on in which country the document will be used for, or for which purpose.
As you say the document is to be translated into British English, here's what the ITI has to say on the subject.

http://www.iti.org.uk/about-industry/certification-sworn

"Many translation buyers believe that a professional translator has to be “certified” or “sworn” to do the job. However, in the common law system in the UK, we do not have the "sworn translator" concept that exists in civil law countries.

Even so, translations sometimes have to be "sworn" or certified for various purposes, such as when providing official translations for public authorities. In the UK, certifying or swearing has no bearing on the quality of a translation. It serves instead to identify the translator and his qualifications, so that he is accountable.
[....]

The legal advice ITI has taken is that ‘a certificate is acceptable if it is accepted’ and that ITI members should certify translations and wait to see whether a certificate is challenged and, if so, by whom. "

And CIOL

http://www.ciol.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&layout=coil:norelated&id=167&Itemid=485

(If the link does not work, go to Find-a.Linguist via the CIOL home page.)
Do our members offer 'certified translations'?

"Unlike many other European countries, the UK does not have a system of ‘sworn’ or ‘certified’ translators accredited by a particular body. Translations required for official purposes – such as birth, death and marriage certificates, legal documents, academic transcripts, etc. can, however, be ‘self-certified’ by any practising translator, including members of the Chartered Institute of Linguists. Whilst certification does not in itself guarantee the quality of a translation, it does serve to identify the translator and their credentials and makes them accountable for their work.

You should check with the organisation requesting a certified translation exactly what its requirements are and explain these clearly to the translator when commissioning work from them. [....]"
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Nov 27, 2014

The job (now closed) was posted by a client in Germany.
It sounds as if a self-certification would do, although this would have to be signed by a notary (based on Maksym's example) and this would mean I would have to translate the form into Portuguese, as documents in foreign languages have no legal value in Brazil. However, as the client is in Germany this would be no problem (I have had this problem with a document I took to England and had to be notarised - it was stamped with the words
... See more
The job (now closed) was posted by a client in Germany.
It sounds as if a self-certification would do, although this would have to be signed by a notary (based on Maksym's example) and this would mean I would have to translate the form into Portuguese, as documents in foreign languages have no legal value in Brazil. However, as the client is in Germany this would be no problem (I have had this problem with a document I took to England and had to be notarised - it was stamped with the words 'Not valid in Brazil without an accompanying translation'.)
So I guess I'll be able to do this work in future. I'll get a stamp made with the words "TRANSLATED BY PAUL WILLIAM DIXON - CERTIFIED BY THE BRAZILIAN TRANSLATORS' ASSOCIATION (ABRATES), with my certification number, to use if required (I would stamp and sign the pages). Then if another translation-and-certification work assignment comes up I could do it, then scan/post the files duly stamped. If the client wanted an official statement this could also be arranged. I imagine I could do the official statement in Portuguese for the notary to sign and send a simple translation to the client (if the client is based abroad).
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 08:40
Romanian to English
+ ...
Paul, Nov 28, 2014

It seems that your client is not aware that in order to have a valid translated copy, he needs a notarized translation and an APOSTILLE (Convention of Hague 1961).

Lee

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:40
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
I was the job poster Nov 28, 2014

Hi Paul,

I was the one who posted the job. The translation was for someone who needed it for an application for teacher training in the UK.
When I posted this job, I thought a certified translation was done by a sworn translator and it would have a special stamp. But after receiving a quote from a British translator in Portugal who explained more about this, I was suddenly a bit confused and so I tried to find out online what it exactly meant (I posted the job in a hurry and a
... See more
Hi Paul,

I was the one who posted the job. The translation was for someone who needed it for an application for teacher training in the UK.
When I posted this job, I thought a certified translation was done by a sworn translator and it would have a special stamp. But after receiving a quote from a British translator in Portugal who explained more about this, I was suddenly a bit confused and so I tried to find out online what it exactly meant (I posted the job in a hurry and assumed the translator would know if they could deliver a certified translation). I found this: https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document (at the bottom of the page). So apparently, it doesn't need to be done by a sworn translator and it doesn't necessarily need a special stamp from a notary.
The translator who took on the job can get the documents notarized, but for now she will just translate them and we'll see if it will suffice like that.
I will let you know if it all worked out!
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
For your future reference, that's how it works in the UK (info off my website) Nov 28, 2014

CERTIFIED, NOTARISED, LEGALISED, SWORN OR APOSTILLED TRANSLATION?

Some of these terms are used interchangeably and this is why my advice is to always ask the institution requesting the documents to clarify what their exact requirements are.

Certified translation - a translator's declaration is attached to the translation saying that they are qualified and that the translation is accurate and true to the best of the translator's knowledge. This declaration is dated, sig
... See more
CERTIFIED, NOTARISED, LEGALISED, SWORN OR APOSTILLED TRANSLATION?

Some of these terms are used interchangeably and this is why my advice is to always ask the institution requesting the documents to clarify what their exact requirements are.

Certified translation - a translator's declaration is attached to the translation saying that they are qualified and that the translation is accurate and true to the best of the translator's knowledge. This declaration is dated, signed and may include the translator's contact details. It is used for governmental bodies or employers for certificates, diplomas and other documents.

Notarised and sworn translation - sometimes required by legal bodies. The process is the same as above, but an affidavit is also sworn in the presence of a commissioner of oaths, such as a notary public, solicitor or barrister, in order to declare the translation accurate, which is then confirmed by a stamp or seal and signature.

Apostilled - this is a sworn or notarised translation which is then sent to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) for legalisation. The FCO confirms that the notary public was authorised to sign, seal or stamp the translation. It may be required in countries that comply with the Hague Convention. The FCO does not legalise certified translations, but only translations that have been signed by a solicitor or public notary.

NB: There are no sworn translators in the UK. Sworn translators are on the list of a country's embassy or are authorised by a country's ministry to stamp their translations, but in countries that don't have sworn translators any professional translator can self-certify their work with a declaration.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is certification of a document?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »