Thread poster: Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:33
English to French
+ ...
Nov 20, 2014

Out of curiosity, has anyone used a tablet to do translation work or translation related work?
If yes, I am interested to know whether you found it useful...

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 20, 2014

I needed something portable when I went on an extended visit to the UK recently. It is laborious but not impossible. I also dictate a lot of my files and was able to store my work on the tablet to be done when I got back. My workload on the tablet was much reduced, and I'd really only recommend it if there is no alternative.

Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Was it a tablet or Nov 20, 2014

an hybrid computer (i.e. with external keyboard) and Windows x.x?

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mobile Translation Nov 20, 2014

I like translating on my tablet. I still use it even when I'm translating on my desktop

I like being able to work when I'm away from the office - like when my wife goes shopping and I'm bored.

I wrote an opinion piece a while ago that goes into a little more detail. It specifically talks about using an android device, but it all works fine with my shiny n
... See more
I like translating on my tablet. I still use it even when I'm translating on my desktop

I like being able to work when I'm away from the office - like when my wife goes shopping and I'm bored.

I wrote an opinion piece a while ago that goes into a little more detail. It specifically talks about using an android device, but it all works fine with my shiny new ipad mini. You can read it here: http://www.opl10nt9n.com/blog/4-steps-to-mobile-translation-on-android-devices
Collapse

Nicholas Wakeford
Nicholas Wakeford
Canada
Local time: 15:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use as another screen Nov 20, 2014

I have an iPad and I've tried using it to do translations before but I found it a little cumbersome, if there was a way to display two documents at the same time this would help but then you're really using up your screen real estate.

I personally use it as a complement while translating on my computer, I display my source text on it and usually use it to perform searches for different terms I'm unfamiliar with.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:03
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Only to check emails Nov 21, 2014

I use my ipad only to check emails and to reply to the ones that need instant reply. I find it cumbersome to type on the ipad owing to the cramped touchscreen keypad and the ipad screen too small for any meaningful work.

For serious work I come back to my desktop or laptop, preferably the former.

Edwin den Boer
Edwin den Boer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
Will tablets replace laptops? Nov 21, 2014

I usually work on a desktop and I don't have a tablet yet, but when I work on a laptop, I prefer to use an external mouse and keyboard, while propping up the laptop on a crate for an ergonomic viewing height.

Since I don't need the laptop's keyboard and trackpad, I guess my next laptop will be a tablet like the Microsoft Surface.

Stephanie Strobel
Stephanie Strobel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:33
French to English
Tablet as another screen Nov 21, 2014

That's a great idea to view the source document on the tablet.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:33
French to English
+ ...
Regularly... for *some* projects Nov 21, 2014

Jean-Christophe Duc wrote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone used a tablet to do translation work or translation related work?
If yes, I am interested to know whether you found it useful...

I regularly use my iPad for some projects (having invested in a wireless keyboard and dock). The advantage is the pure portability compared to a laptop. For a document that doesn't involve complicated layout, install a dictionary app, download Word/Office To Go, stick a shortcut on your home screen to Termium/IATE etc, get used to using the multi-finger swipe gesture to switch between concurrent applications and you're set up...

However, the important thing to realise is that it is not suitable for *every* project. For more elaborate documents with complex layouts, where you want to have multiple windows on screen at once etc, it won't be suitable.

But for certain documents, the iPad has the advantage of portability and battery life that will last a long flight/series of train journeys...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of tablets

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »