Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 16:05
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 16, 2014

I'm very happy with Dropbox, but I'm almost out of space, so I'm considering alternatives.

I don't want to use Sky Drive because it's too "embedded" in my Windows, and I don't like that.

I thought of Google Drive, but I've already eaten up 60% of my 15 GB in Gmail, so I'll quickly be out of space with Google Drive, too. Besides, I've read that it converts all Office documents into Google documents - Is this true?
<
... See more
I'm very happy with Dropbox, but I'm almost out of space, so I'm considering alternatives.

I don't want to use Sky Drive because it's too "embedded" in my Windows, and I don't like that.

I thought of Google Drive, but I've already eaten up 60% of my 15 GB in Gmail, so I'll quickly be out of space with Google Drive, too. Besides, I've read that it converts all Office documents into Google documents - Is this true?

So I did some research and found www.copy.com, which seems to be the solution. Has anybody tried it? Will I still be able to share a TM with a colleague for both of us to use simultaneously? What happens if my colleague and I open a Word file and make changes to it simultaneously, will it behave the way Dropbox does (create conflicted files) or the way Google Drive does (update the file in real time)?

Any and all input welcome!

Alain
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Increase space Apr 16, 2014

And why don't you increase your Drobbox space?
There are several free ways to increase it, just check it. Or you can buy a suscription and get lots of G space over there.

Tuncay Kurt
Tuncay Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:05
English to Turkish
+ ...
other than 3 major ones Apr 16, 2014

You can give it a go with Box

https://www.box.com/

I have heard positive things about it. No personal experience though.

I am very happy with Dropbox too, except their prices!

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:05
French to English
HubiC Apr 16, 2014

I'm thinking about changing to hubiC, which is owned by OVH, a hosting company with a very good reputation.

https://hubic.com/en/
https://hubic.com/en/offers/

25 GB free, 100 GB for 1 EUR per month, 10 TB for 10 EUR per month.

I can't tell you much more than that, though, because I
... See more
I'm thinking about changing to hubiC, which is owned by OVH, a hosting company with a very good reputation.

https://hubic.com/en/
https://hubic.com/en/offers/

25 GB free, 100 GB for 1 EUR per month, 10 TB for 10 EUR per month.

I can't tell you much more than that, though, because I haven't had time to get beyond the research stage as yet.
Collapse

Sybille Brückner
Sybille Brückner  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Another alternative Apr 16, 2014

is www.yousendit.com which I use most of the time when sending large files is required.

Sybille

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 16:05
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
A good idea? Apr 16, 2014

I use copy.com; works as advertised.

But I'm not sure you can store a TM online and share it "live". That would mean that you are syncing a "file in use". I'm not sure such services can handle that. Not to mention the performance hit.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
for anyone who wants/needs a little/lot more security... Apr 16, 2014

wuala

and

owncloud.

Regards

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 08:05
Dutch to English
+ ...
Save elsewhere Apr 16, 2014

I just saved a lot of stuff elsewhere on my computer and deleted it from Dropbox. Is there a reason why everything has to stay in Dropbox?

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 21:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
You didn't. Not really. Apr 16, 2014

Tina Vonhof wrote: deleted it from Dropbox.

If you delete a file in DropBox, it's still there. Like it's in the Trash ("Recycle Bin" for the dissentient). And you can recover it. You can probably "abuse" the system by deleting all files you don't regularly need, knowing they're still there.

Cheers,

Hans

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
DROPBOX Apr 17, 2014

You may have 2G free in Dropbox that can extend up to 4G. Then you may upgrade to 100G for only USD 9.99.
What's wrong with that? I stick to Dropbox, so far.

lprd027
lprd027
Local time: 03:05
German to English
+ ...
Google Drive Apr 17, 2014

Google Drive works well, is supported on every platform, and is backed up by Google's massive infrastructure worldwide. As far as I know, it does not modify stored documents. If you need more than the free 15GB allocation, you can upgrade to 100GB for only $1.99 per month. What more do you want?

Regards
Lars Peter

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
Box.com Apr 17, 2014

I believe that free accounts on this site can only upload files up to 250 MB each, although that may not matter much to you if you are translating 20 KB Word documents or something.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Dropbox & the Infinity Apr 17, 2014

Meta Arkadia wrote:

If you delete a file in DropBox, it's still there.

It will be deleted after 30 days. Except, if you have an enterprise account ($$$) or Dropbox Pro($$$) plus the Packrat option($$$).

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Why Dropbox? Apr 17, 2014

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I just saved a lot of stuff elsewhere on my computer and deleted it from Dropbox. Is there a reason why everything has to stay in Dropbox?

There are 3 reasons:

1 – Some people possess no high-capacity storage media at home and/or don't know how get/use such things.

2 – Some people use mobile devices only. This means additional risks (defect, theft).

3 – Some people want additional protection against hazards like fire, burst pipe, burglars, vandalism, ...

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 21:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Are you sure? Apr 17, 2014

Rolf Keller wrote:
It will be deleted after 30 days. Except, if you have an enterprise account

It doesn't seem so, and I only have a free account (I'm Dutch).

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternatives to Dropbox?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »