Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 12:41
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 23, 2015

I have recently been experiencing some serious speed issues using Firefox 35.0, and was wondering if anyone else has been having the same problem?

It seemed to start around about version 34.0, I think but I only really became aware of it as a repeatbale problem since the last update.

The trouble is, I also use Advanced System Care, which just updated itself to v 8.0.

I am running all this on a rather under-powered W7 laptop.

I have quite a fast
... See more
I have recently been experiencing some serious speed issues using Firefox 35.0, and was wondering if anyone else has been having the same problem?

It seemed to start around about version 34.0, I think but I only really became aware of it as a repeatbale problem since the last update.

The trouble is, I also use Advanced System Care, which just updated itself to v 8.0.

I have quite a fast broadband connection, and page load speed is not usually an issue.

However, just lately, I have been experiencing normally fast pages suddenly taking for ever to load — in fact, I don't even know if they DO eventually ever load.

Oddly, I have found that most times, pressing Ctl + F5 to refresh the page makes it display almost at once.

Sometimes, Firefow seems to hang altogether, and the only way out of it is to close it from Task Manager.

With Task Manager open, I have noticed for some time (i.e. several versions) that even if I close Firefox normally, its process remains running; this is borne out by the fact that if I try to restart it, I get the error message to say that Firefox is already running.

So I would appreciate any guidance as to which piece of software may be causing the problem — I should add that Firefox still misbehaves even if I quit ASC (but I haven't gone so far as to actually uninstall the latter!) The only thing I notice, with Task Manager open, when I quit F/fox, a new process starts in ASC, called 'Browser Cleaner' — this seems to run several processes, and seems to take for ever to actually do anything; so far, I haven't been able to wait long enough to see if it eventually stops of its own accord.

I am used to the fact that Firefox gobbles up more and more memory if I have too many tabs open, and even if I just leave it sitting there, the memory occupied increases. However, just now I noticed that just after re-starting, and even with only 3 tabs open, F/fox was occupying over 600 Meg of memory!! Normally, even with more tabs open, it used to seem to run around 300 Meg.

One more thing, when F/fox does crash, and I have to terminate it using T/M ('not responding'), I get an error message pop up to say FlashPlayer plug-in not responding (or something along those lines) So I deduce from that it is something to do with Flash Player that makes F/F hang up.
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:41
Danish to English
+ ...
No problems here Jan 24, 2015

Just to say, I run Firefox 35 and have not experienced any trouble whatsoever.

Mind you, I realised that a phenomenal amount of xxxx is continually stored on my computer without my being aware of it, simply because of the way I work, i.e. with online dictionaries, loads of web searches and the occasional adding of new smart little bits of software.

I have found that using CCleaner is useful. It runs unobtrusively in the background and lets me know regularly when it is t
... See more
Just to say, I run Firefox 35 and have not experienced any trouble whatsoever.

Mind you, I realised that a phenomenal amount of xxxx is continually stored on my computer without my being aware of it, simply because of the way I work, i.e. with online dictionaries, loads of web searches and the occasional adding of new smart little bits of software.

I have found that using CCleaner is useful. It runs unobtrusively in the background and lets me know regularly when it is time for a cleanup (every time about 300 MB of temp files, obsolete systems files etc. are clogging up the system) and then procedes to clean up for me at just one click. Surprisingly, this is actually every couple of days.

P.S. The first time CCleaner is run it takes quite a while for the cleanup to go through everything on the computer. After that, the regular cleanups are really just a matter of seconds...

[Edited at 2015-01-24 07:08 GMT]
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:41
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Try the following Jan 24, 2015

1. Start Firefox in Safe Mode and see if you notice any difference.

2. If the problem persists, download Firefox Portable and see if using this version everything works as expected. Alternative
... See more
1. Start Firefox in Safe Mode and see if you notice any difference.

2. If the problem persists, download Firefox Portable and see if using this version everything works as expected. Alternatively, you can try to create a new profile for testing purposes (don't remove your existing one). I recommend trying with Firefox portable.

3. If in Firefox portable everything works as expected, and because you got a Flash error, first make sure that you are running the latest version of Flash (this is a good idea regardless of the issue), and if not update (the easiest way is to uninstall flash and download and install the recent version from Adobe's website). If after the update the problem still persists, just uninstall Flash altogether. Flash is being gradually phased out, and unless you need it to load a website you visit regularly, just uninstall it. Download Chrome portableChrome portable (or the installer version, doesn't matter) that comes bundled with a built-in version of Flash, and use it for the odd occasion in which you need the Flash functionality.

Also, as a side note, I would recommend against using Advanced System Care or any other similar suites. Especially avoid the registry cleaners (the file cleaner module is usually safe to use) or any other feature that claims to improve your system performance by tweaking it in some way or other. They can (and do) cause much more damage than benefit (which is mostly theoretical/negligible).
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:41
Chinese to English
+ ...
Flash Jan 24, 2015

Flash is being gradually phased out, and unless you need it to load a website you visit regularly, just uninstall it

I would imagine that a lot of us use Youtube on a regular basis.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Puzzling Computers Jan 24, 2015

Tony M wrote:

With Task Manager open, I have noticed for some time (i.e. several versions) that even if I close Firefox normally, its process remains running; this is borne out by the fact that if I try to restart it, I get the error message to say that Firefox is already running.

I experience exactly the same issue above. That is, I first close Firefox 35.0 one way or the other, and if I try to restart it, I get a dialog box saying that Firefox is already running (!). The only way to restart Firefox in this case is to restart the computer altogether. This is pretty annoying, of course. I could not fix this myself.

I have an old (2002) notebook computer with Windows XP Professional so my computer is extremely slow. Therefore, I am not able to tell whether it is Firefox or the computer itself that is slowing me down. It may very well be both.

You should probably have Internet Explorer as well. Sometimes I try to use both at the same time. It seems that some websites may take longer in IE than in Firefox, and vice versa. This is strange but true. Even more puzzling is that some websites do not open (or take forever) in one browser but not the other.

Welcome to the world of computers!

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stay in control! Jan 24, 2015

As a satisfied user of good ol’ XP – which I have had running smoothly on four PCs of varying descriptions for many years – I have taken the precaution of not allowing ANY application to up-grade itself without my prior consent.

That said:

1. I had Tony’s problem when I allowed one of my PCs to upgrade from FF32 to FF33.

Immediately after the upgrade, the machine slowed to a virtual standstill. Task Manager showed FF was hogging 100% of CPU and a
... See more
As a satisfied user of good ol’ XP – which I have had running smoothly on four PCs of varying descriptions for many years – I have taken the precaution of not allowing ANY application to up-grade itself without my prior consent.

That said:

1. I had Tony’s problem when I allowed one of my PCs to upgrade from FF32 to FF33.

Immediately after the upgrade, the machine slowed to a virtual standstill. Task Manager showed FF was hogging 100% of CPU and around 280MB of RAM.

After rebooting and clearing the FF cache, I visited the homepage of a local newspaper knowing that it usually loads (with an empty cache) in around 25 seconds, had no observable impact on PC response time for concurrent tasks (CPU usage well below 50%), and never occupied more than 200MB of RAM.

With FF33 it took 25 ... minutes! (and some parts of the page timed-out in the meantime), CPU consumption was a constant 100% (so all other apps stopped responding), and FF34’s share of RAM was around 280MB, peaking at times to 320MB.

I reverted to FF32 and everything went back to normal.

The release notes for FF33 mention several ‘known issues’, including poor response with certain (un-named) graphics cards.

I concluded that FF33 was a) trying to consume RAM and CPU beyond what that aged PC was able to offer; b) the PC was (perhaps) suffering from the ‘graphics card’ incompatibility.

2. Despite that experience (but safe in the knowledge that I could revert safely to FF32 if necessary…), I tried FF33 on my notebook (also running XP) and it performs as well (or as badly, depending on how you want to look at it...) as FF32. This notebook has twice the available RAM compared to the first machine and a faster processor. CPU and RAM usage is what it always was: around 40% (while busy) and 190MB, respectively. Of course, it has a different graphics card.

3. I skipped the FF34 upgrade and FF is now badgering me to move on to FF35. The curious thing is that if I go to Help-About Firefox in the FF menu, it says (on the notebook) that my version 33.1 is Up-to-date. And on the other machines (that are still running FF32), it also says they are “Up-to-date”. Go figure...

By way of conclusion: I suspect that FF doesn’t bother doing a ‘minimum hardware’ or OS check before installing upgrades, and ends up installing versions that the user’s machine cannot cope with. Now, where have I heard that story before ... ?
Collapse

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Firefox ESR Jan 24, 2015

Robin, if you are not after getting the latest and greatest as soon as it is released, you may want to consider switching to Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release.

Furthermore, for those who don't want to deal with potential bugs and quirks of a new version, don't want to go the ESR route either, it is advised to wait 2-4 weeks as a rule-of-thumb before upgrading. There are many factors that could cont
... See more
Robin, if you are not after getting the latest and greatest as soon as it is released, you may want to consider switching to Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release.

Furthermore, for those who don't want to deal with potential bugs and quirks of a new version, don't want to go the ESR route either, it is advised to wait 2-4 weeks as a rule-of-thumb before upgrading. There are many factors that could contribute to any experienced issue, some are third-party plugins, and many could be fixed. The best way to test if a problem is inherent to the new version or a result of something breaking (provided the problem persists also in Firefox's Safe Mode, and that the hardware is not faulty) is to download the portable version of the latest release and/or create a new profile.
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
@ Shai Navé Jan 24, 2015

Shai Navé wrote:

It's not that I don't want "the latest and greatest as soon as it is released" - it's that I need systems that work as expected not only for myself but also - and more importantly - for my business clients.

The easy - and entirely satisfactory solution (from my point of view) - solution is "Try Before you Buy" (even if its free), safe in the knowledge that I can roll-back to the previous version if problems arise.

Frankly, I'm not interested in ...
Shai Navé wrote:
... test(ing) if a problem is inherent to the new version or a result of something breaking (provided the problem persists also in Firefox's Safe Mode, and that the hardware is not faulty) is to download the portable version of the latest release and/or create a new profile.

I don't need to know why it doesn't work, nor how to work around it. I use FF (and IE8, amongst others) primarily to test business website functionality, and most potential clients - be they users of FF, IE or something else, will not take kindly to being told they need to work in Safe Mode or use a portable version if they want to do business with me.

ATIL KAYHAN
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Uninstalling Flash Player Jan 25, 2015

Shai Navé wrote:

3. If in Firefox portable everything works as expected, and because you got a Flash error, first make sure that you are running the latest version of Flash (this is a good idea regardless of the issue), and if not update (the easiest way is to uninstall flash and download and install the recent version from Adobe's website). If after the update the problem still persists, just uninstall Flash altogether. Flash is being gradually phased out, and unless you need it to load a website you visit regularly, just uninstall it. Download Chrome portableChrome portable (or the installer version, doesn't matter) that comes bundled with a built-in version of Flash, and use it for the odd occasion in which you need the Flash functionality.

Here is a specific question. If I just uninstall Flash Player from my computer, would the computer (i.e. the websites) still work? I am basically interested in the text and still pictures on a website rather than animations and fancy objects playing. Would the computer speed up by uninstalling Flash? In other words, are there any drawbacks to uninstalling Flash Player altogether?

[Edited at 2015-01-25 06:29 GMT]

Cristina Crişan
Cristina Crişan  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
it's Flash for sure Jan 25, 2015

I had similar issues with Firefox on a quite powerful machine and disabled Flash without thinking too much about it (go to tools -> add-ons). I was so annoyed that I obstinately refused to allow it to run for quite a long while. Now, I allow it permanently for some websites and occasionally for others. In my case, Flash causes problems in Chrome too, but rather than hanging, it displays an error message saying that the plug-in has stopped working.

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Flash is becoming obsolete Jan 25, 2015

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:
Here is a specific question. If I just uninstall Flash Player from my computer, would the computer (i.e. the websites) still work? I am basically interested in the text and still pictures on a website rather than animations and fancy objects playing. Would the computer speed up by uninstalling Flash? In other words, are there any drawbacks to uninstalling Flash Player altogether?

Most of the things that won't work without Flash are videos and some animations (including ads). However, Flash is becoming an obsolete technology and it is less and less needed for websites to function properly. For example, most YouTube videos can be played without Flash.

Therefore, I would recommend uninstalling Flash and see how it goes. You can always reinstall if you discover you still absolutely need it. It won't make your computer "faster", but it will probably make your browsing experience more stable (as long as you don't visit Flash-dependent websites that is). I don't have Flash installed for my main browser for a long while now, and except for the rare occasion I don't find that I need it. For the odd occasion I do need it, I use Chrome.

In Firefox you can also use the click to play option, or add-ons such as Flashblock to control where Flash will be allowed to run.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
None Jan 25, 2015

Tony M wrote:

Hi Tony,
This is your work horse. It should be the most powerful beast on the market (for your needs) with top specs in whatever you think is important: display, weight, etc.
Work is a lot more enjoyable when you don't have to wait for pages to load or wonder whether there are too many of them.
My take.
HTH,
Sandra

[Edited at 2015-01-25 20:22 GMT]

ATIL KAYHAN
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Microsoft .NET Framework? Jan 25, 2015

Looking at Add or Remove Programs from the Control Panel, I noticed that I have two entries listed back to back:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2

They look almost identical except for the fact that one is version 2.0 while the other is version 3.0. Aren't they redundant? Shall I remove the one version 2.0 and keep version 3.0? They occupy about 180.0 MB each.

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Similar but not the same thing Jan 26, 2015

The different versions might be required by different softwares; or no needed at all.
It is generally safe to keep just the most recent version, but some softwares (usually older) might break. Uninstall and see how it goes. If anything breaks due to the lack of a specific .Net version, just reinstall that version (or update the software).

ATIL KAYHAN
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Avira versus Avast! Jan 27, 2015

I know that this might not be the perfect place but I will share it anyhow because it is really interesting.

I used to have Avira Free Antivirus for a long time. In fact, I recently made a full system scan by Avira. Nothing was found. I had an issue updating virus definitions with Avira so I decided to uninstall it today. Instead, I installed Avast! Free Antivirus right after the uninstall. Avast made a quick scan upon installation, and found one malware. I fixed it, of course
... See more
I know that this might not be the perfect place but I will share it anyhow because it is really interesting.

I used to have Avira Free Antivirus for a long time. In fact, I recently made a full system scan by Avira. Nothing was found. I had an issue updating virus definitions with Avira so I decided to uninstall it today. Instead, I installed Avast! Free Antivirus right after the uninstall. Avast made a quick scan upon installation, and found one malware. I fixed it, of course.

It is interesting that Avira could not find any malware with a full scan but Avast did find one malware with a quick scan.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Firefox v 35.00 — slowness problems?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »