London Met Interpreting short courses
Thread poster: _Fra_ (X)
_Fra_ (X)
_Fra_ (X)
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
Apr 15, 2014

Hi all

I have been looking to get formal training in conference interpreting, but other than MA programs it does not seem to be a lot out there, at least not in London.
I have found the short course below at London Met University,
... See more
Hi all

I have been looking to get formal training in conference interpreting, but other than MA programs it does not seem to be a lot out there, at least not in London.
I have found the short course below at London Met University, which sounds very interesting.

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/short-courses/2013/introduction-to-conference-interpreting/

However, considering some general reviews about the university, its reputation and the price of the course in question I thought we could share a few thoughts in case some of you have taken this or this type of course before?

It would be great to get the opinions of general training required in order perform conference interpreting in UK?

Thanks
Francielle
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:10
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hi Apr 15, 2014

I see the course is four days - for conference interpreting purposes this means nothing. There's too many skills to acquire and hone in this profession, so my advice is: an MA is the only way. Take my word for. I'm doing one now and with exams approaching we still feel we need another full year of studying.

Andrea Alvisi (X)
Andrea Alvisi (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:10
English to Italian
+ ...
I completely agree with Diana Apr 15, 2014

A 4-day course cannot by any means be considered exhaustive enough. I'll give London Met that this is merely an introduction to conference interpreting, although note-taking themselves take a good 3 months to get the hang on, mainly because they can be considered a whole new language.

If you don't want to commit (both financially and in terms of time) to an MA, then there are PG Dip available at some universities. I'm not sure about London as I don't know the situation there, but Ba
... See more
A 4-day course cannot by any means be considered exhaustive enough. I'll give London Met that this is merely an introduction to conference interpreting, although note-taking themselves take a good 3 months to get the hang on, mainly because they can be considered a whole new language.

If you don't want to commit (both financially and in terms of time) to an MA, then there are PG Dip available at some universities. I'm not sure about London as I don't know the situation there, but Bath, Leeds and Edinburgh offer very good training programmes.

Good luck!
Collapse

_Fra_ (X)
_Fra_ (X)
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Apr 15, 2014

Thank you both for your reply.

I did find the price too high for the offer as in the end of the day all it seems to provide is an overview of it. What I would like to be able to do is to have a better understanding of it in order to eventually decide to take the further step.

Maybe a diploma is an option as I am already taking a Masters in translation (so both time and money interfere with decisions).

Thanks again

Francielle

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:10
Portuguese to English
+ ...
OK, Apr 16, 2014

so a PGDip is then better for you, as it is cheaper and there are no translation modules.

Compare the fees at Leeds:
- MACITS - £8000
See more
so a PGDip is then better for you, as it is cheaper and there are no translation modules.

Compare the fees at Leeds:
- MACITS - £8000
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/info/125053/centre_for_translation_studies/1803/taught_programmes/3

- PGDCI - £5300 (http://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/info/125053/centre_for_translation_studies/1803/taught_programmes/6)

[Edited at 2014-04-16 08:44 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

London Met Interpreting short courses

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »