Thread poster: Silvia Uribe
Silvia Uribe
Silvia Uribe
United States
Local time: 06:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 21, 2014

Can Federal Court Interpreters work in States' Superior Courts? My assumption is yes, but I want to confirm.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 09:17
Romanian to English
+ ...
absolutely! Aug 21, 2014

are you on the approved Roster of court interpreters for the Consortium or in your state?

If you are federally certified, they transfer your certification to the state level.

best,

Lee

[Edited at 2014-08-22 01:06 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, but not the other way around, and not always Aug 22, 2014

The Superior Courts or Supreme Courts are State Courts and so are the interpreters--a different certification and clearance. Federal Court interpreters work in the Federal Court of the United States. (Mostly freelance) A Federal Court interpreter--certified, can work in a State Court, but there are not too many certifications (languages offered) in the Federal Court--only a few languages tested. If the State Court has a certification in your language which the Federal Court does not have, you ... See more
The Superior Courts or Supreme Courts are State Courts and so are the interpreters--a different certification and clearance. Federal Court interpreters work in the Federal Court of the United States. (Mostly freelance) A Federal Court interpreter--certified, can work in a State Court, but there are not too many certifications (languages offered) in the Federal Court--only a few languages tested. If the State Court has a certification in your language which the Federal Court does not have, you still have to take the exam.

Spanish--yes, if you took the Federal Exam.

[Edited at 2014-08-22 09:43 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
All States are Different Aug 22, 2014

I don't know how long you have been in the US, but you must realize that all states are different; they each have their own laws, rules and procedures for everything. This is still true even though in some areas there are efforts for uniformity and cooperation among the states. Thus it is not appropriate to ask a broad question about the "states". Rather, you must specify a state.

In my state of Texas I could have used my Federal Court Certification to get a state license, but I cho
... See more
I don't know how long you have been in the US, but you must realize that all states are different; they each have their own laws, rules and procedures for everything. This is still true even though in some areas there are efforts for uniformity and cooperation among the states. Thus it is not appropriate to ask a broad question about the "states". Rather, you must specify a state.

In my state of Texas I could have used my Federal Court Certification to get a state license, but I chose not to because I do not do court work, plus in addition they charge fees for it and impose continuing education requirements. If you are fortunate enough to have Federal Court Certification, than go to work for the Feds, they provide much better pay and benefits, and they are looking for people all the time. I still get the announcements although I am way past retirement age. If you don't, then study hard, because the exam is not an easy one.
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Who--me ? Almost all my life. Aug 22, 2014

Yes, I know that there are different State laws, but all accept the Federal exam--they may charge some extra fees. The thing is that the Federal court does not have exams for every language, and even if some interpreters work for the Federal Court having proved their experience, and obtained the right clearance, that would not count for many State Courts. Only the exam counts.

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
All? Aug 22, 2014

Lilian, do you know as a fact that ALL states accept the Federal exam? I would assume that many do, but to say ALL, you would have to cite a survey.

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
I think this is what is required by law Aug 22, 2014

I have heard at some seminars that they have to. It might be safer to call your state (a particular state) and ask them, at the same time telling them that this is what most people say. Sometimes you may get someone who may not know exactly--this way they will at least check it throughly, and give you the right information, instead of saying--no, to dismiss your question.

[Edited at 2014-08-22 18:51 GMT]

Silvia Uribe
Silvia Uribe
United States
Local time: 06:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great Information! Aug 22, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I'm now armed with the information I need to make the right decisions.

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Good Recommendation Aug 22, 2014

Always confirm.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
it depends also for what language pair Aug 23, 2014

If there is a pair (not Spanish or Russian) with less court interpreters available, and you have a proven record of doing a good job, they may ask you to help them.

For my language pair RO EN there is no certification exam. I took some exams required in PA and have my name on the Roster, but I currently interpret, besides PA, in NJ, DE, MD, KY in both federal and local courts.

As both Henry and Lilian pointed out, call them and find out.

best,
lee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Federal Court Interpreters

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »