Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
R.I.P. Giles Watson
Thread poster: Daniela Zambrini
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:04
SITE FOUNDER
A nice person Jul 27, 2015

Giles was a nice person who gave me encouragement in ProZ.com's early days. He spoke at our events and I have often used him as an example for freelance translators over the years. I regret that I won't be able to see him again and enjoy his humor.

My condolences to his family.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:04
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ciao Giles, che la terra ti sia lieve Jul 27, 2015

Apprendo con profonda tristezza la notizia e invio le mie più sentite condoglianze alla moglie e ai suoi cari.

Giles era un uomo che stimavo profondamente: grande grandissimo professionista, persona squisita e, soprattutto, un vero signore nel senso più ampio della parola.

Ci siamo scambiati diverse e-mail nel corso degli anni, avevamo un cordiale rapporto epistolare e ci saremmo dovuti incontrare di persona ad una delle scorse conferenze ATA, a cui all’ultimo min
... See more
Apprendo con profonda tristezza la notizia e invio le mie più sentite condoglianze alla moglie e ai suoi cari.

Giles era un uomo che stimavo profondamente: grande grandissimo professionista, persona squisita e, soprattutto, un vero signore nel senso più ampio della parola.

Ci siamo scambiati diverse e-mail nel corso degli anni, avevamo un cordiale rapporto epistolare e ci saremmo dovuti incontrare di persona ad una delle scorse conferenze ATA, a cui all’ultimo minuto non partecipai. Ora me ne spiace molto.

Uomo di cultura, intelligentissimo, estremamente preparato, arguto, con un piacevole senso dell’umorismo. Da sempre uno dei miei idoli qui a Proz. La prima volta che ricevetti un suo agree mi sentii come una bambina che riceve un complimento inaspettato dal Maestro.

Era un vero fuoriclasse. Solo poterlo chiamare “collega” era ed è motivo di orgoglio per me e, sono certa, tutti noi, che alla sua bravura possiamo solo aspirare.

Ogni volta che leggo un suo pezzo tradotto imparo qualcosa, che meravigliosa eredità ci hai lasciato!

Grazie di tutto, Giles. Ci mancherai tanto.
Collapse

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:04
Italian to English
+ ...
RIP a scholar and a gentleman Jul 27, 2015

Like you all, I held Giles in the highest esteem, although I never met him in person. What appalling news; we've lost one of the very best.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:04
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Terrible loss Jul 27, 2015

Such sad news. I only knew him from the forums and a few e-mail exchanges, but I was always impressed by how knowledgeable he was.
My condolences to his family and friends.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:04
Italian to English
Far too young Jul 27, 2015

This is terrible news today.
I had the pleasure of meeting Giles at the ProZ.com conference in Oxford in 2004, where we discussed a common interest in art history, particularly that of north-east Italy.
His contributions to this site were unmissable, not only on the subject of wine, in which he was THE expert, but particularly on linguistics and etymology, of which he had an encyclopaedic knowledge.
What I shall remember most, both online and in person, is a man of great intell
... See more
This is terrible news today.
I had the pleasure of meeting Giles at the ProZ.com conference in Oxford in 2004, where we discussed a common interest in art history, particularly that of north-east Italy.
His contributions to this site were unmissable, not only on the subject of wine, in which he was THE expert, but particularly on linguistics and etymology, of which he had an encyclopaedic knowledge.
What I shall remember most, both online and in person, is a man of great intellect but also of great humanity: a real English gentleman.
A tribute from Beppe Severgnini was published today by in Corriere della Sera's digital edition: http://www.corriere.it/cultura/15_luglio_27/elementare-watson-addio-giles-traduttore-corriereit-dce66ddc-343b-11e5-b933-63839669b549.shtml
We have lost one of the greats of our profession - far too young.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Un brindisi per Giles Jul 28, 2015

Concordo con tutti i colleghi: Giles era un collega esemplare e, soprattutto, un gentiluomo.

È triste e ingiusto che se ne sia andato così presto, lasciando la propria famiglia, gli amici e i colleghi, ma cerchiamo di pensare al fatto che anche soltanto incontrarlo virtualmente qui è stato un onore e un privilegio: tutti noi abbiamo imparato qualcosa da Giles, tutti noi lo ricorderemo con ammirazione e rimpianto, ma anche con gratitudine.

Prenderò una bella bottigli
... See more
Concordo con tutti i colleghi: Giles era un collega esemplare e, soprattutto, un gentiluomo.

È triste e ingiusto che se ne sia andato così presto, lasciando la propria famiglia, gli amici e i colleghi, ma cerchiamo di pensare al fatto che anche soltanto incontrarlo virtualmente qui è stato un onore e un privilegio: tutti noi abbiamo imparato qualcosa da Giles, tutti noi lo ricorderemo con ammirazione e rimpianto, ma anche con gratitudine.

Prenderò una bella bottiglia di Barbaresco, un vino nobile, asciutto, corposo ed eccellente, e la berrò centellinandola, gustandola pian piano e con giudizio, brindando alla memoria di Giles, grande traduttore ed esperto enologo, e alla salute dei suoi cari.
Collapse

Nancy Greenleese
Nancy Greenleese  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
a true professional Jul 28, 2015

Like many of you, I only knew Giles virtually. But I was always struck by his professionalism, generosity and tremendous talent that jumped off the screen with every post. His wine glossary, selflessly shared with all of us, is bookmarked on my computer and "flipped" through often.

His work in Corriere della Sera and putting the final touches on Beppe Servignini's books was also stellar. I could go on and on.

Condolences to his family. I hope they will be able to read
... See more
Like many of you, I only knew Giles virtually. But I was always struck by his professionalism, generosity and tremendous talent that jumped off the screen with every post. His wine glossary, selflessly shared with all of us, is bookmarked on my computer and "flipped" through often.

His work in Corriere della Sera and putting the final touches on Beppe Servignini's books was also stellar. I could go on and on.

Condolences to his family. I hope they will be able to read the effusive praise of his Proz colleagues. He will be missed terribly. A toast to un uomo grande!
Collapse

Franco Rigoni
Franco Rigoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
RIP Giles Jul 29, 2015

Veramente una grande perdita! Grazie ancora per l'aiuto e per l'ottimo glossario sul vino!

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
RIP Giles Jul 29, 2015

Leggo solo ora e davvero mi sento triste, un altro eccellente collega che ci lascia

Perdita enorme, condoglianze alla famiglia

Federica P.
Federica P.
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Riposa in pace Jul 29, 2015

Non conoscevo personalmente Giles (non intervengo spesso nel forum) ma ho letto svariati suoi commenti e ho avuto l'impressione che fosse non solo un un professionista competente, ma anche una persona molto gentile.
Condoglianze alla sua famiglia e ai suoi amici.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:34
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Shocked and saddened Jul 30, 2015

It was only a few days ago that Giles had responded to a thread which I was following. I only knew him from the forums, but he came through as a wonderful person, never condescending or impolite, even to my cantankerous posts, which he would take the trouble to respond to sometimes with his sane, but firm, opinion.

Even though I felt intimidated by his erudition, I always valued his humaneness and the wisdom in what he had to say. It is saddening that this interaction will no longer
... See more
It was only a few days ago that Giles had responded to a thread which I was following. I only knew him from the forums, but he came through as a wonderful person, never condescending or impolite, even to my cantankerous posts, which he would take the trouble to respond to sometimes with his sane, but firm, opinion.

Even though I felt intimidated by his erudition, I always valued his humaneness and the wisdom in what he had to say. It is saddening that this interaction will no longer be possible.

My heart-felt condolences to family members.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very sad news! Jul 30, 2015

My most sincere condolencies to all people who loved him.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
What very sad news Jul 30, 2015

I always enjoyed and respected Giles's contributions.

My condolences to the family too.

Valentina_D
Valentina_D  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
un faro Jul 30, 2015

Desidero unirmi al cordoglio di chi mi ha preceduto per la scomparsa di questo stimato collega.
Pur non conoscendolo, dai suoi post traspariva una grandissima professionalità e autorevolezza. Lo consideravo una delle figure più qualificate del sito, un vero punto di riferimento di cui stimavo l'opinione e i punti di vista. Un professionista che era arrivato alle massime vette della professione e che ci rappresentava nel modo migliore.

Sincere condoglianze alla famiglia.

James (Jim) Davis
James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 12:04
Member (2022)
Italian to English
A salute to Giles. A true master, who will be sorely missed Aug 5, 2015

although with many friends in common, I knew him only on Kudoz

09:27 Jun 28, 2011
3 affected by micro-karstification James (Jim) Davis
3 micro-karstified/microkarstified Giles Watson

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

21:19 Jun 26, 2007
9 mins confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5 peer agreement (net): +3
since/because although it has
... See more
although with many friends in common, I knew him only on Kudoz

09:27 Jun 28, 2011
3 affected by micro-karstification James (Jim) Davis
3 micro-karstified/microkarstified Giles Watson

21:19 Jun 26, 2007
9 mins confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5 peer agreement (net): +3
since/because although it has Giles Watson

agree James (Jim) Davis: Bury your doubts BECAUSE and give it five

02:24 Dec 11, 2012
companies with unique new talent Jim
suppliers that are still off the radar Giles

Found it Jim
12:38 Dec 21, 2012 [Click here to delete your post]
This is the "Equation between broad recognition of a brand and owership rights to that brand". Because ...

Nice one, Jim
12:41 Dec 21, 2012
That looks good.

Neither of us posted

18:18 Oct 28, 2010
le caste
4 +1 the elites James (Jim) Davis
vested interests Giles Watson

Dominic Currie 14:06 Nov 2, 2010 (who poste)
Glad to the see the lively discussion ... For the record, I was torn between "elites" and "vested interests".

18:50 Oct 12, 2012
Jim Re "completato"
The word "completato" is pretty clear. It means that something has been carried out, and now nothing further remains to be done

Giles Watson Italy
Literalism
09:15 Oct 14, 2012
@Jim: unless I'm missing something, "comprehensively reinforced" contains the notions of strengthening and completion while avoiding

My question
14:37 Jun 19, 2007
Italian term or phrase: single
DON'T SWITCH THE LANGUAGE PAIR pls
As I understand it "single" in English means very simply that you are unmarried ....
James (Jim) Davis

Answer
English translation:one-person (household) Giles Watson
Explanation:
Hi Jim 'n' Wendell,
The passage seems to be talking specifically about cohabitation, in which case ...
Selected response from:
Giles Watson

We didn't always see eye to eye...
@Jim
00:08 Aug 31, 2014
It certainly makes more sense than translating "oneri" as "services"
"If all else fails, just translate what the text actually says", as one of my better classics masters used to say. Of course if the text is erroneous, it rather spoils the fun!
@Giles
20:08 Aug 31, 2014 [Click here to delete your post]
With the greatest respect Giles: a more intelligent classics master might recognise a typo from the context rather than dogmatically translate what the text actually says

I would continue all night

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q="Then%20She%20Found%20Me"&oq=&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=cP_BVciODsj0-AHgmLywCA#hl=en-GB&q=site:proz.com%20%20jim%20davis%20giles%20watson

with another 190 odd exchanges in tribute to Giles

but alas life goes on and I must work tomorrow

His genious
His translations were always into impeccably natural English which was always astoundingly faithful
His faults
At times he opted for fidelity rather than use the flare and creativity ("still off the radar") he undoubtedly possessed.

We salute you Giles
Jim
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

R.I.P. Giles Watson

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »