Is it possible to block discussion box notifications from just a single language pair?
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2014

In one of my language pairs, every single question usually generates anywhere from 10 to 40 or more postings in the discussion box, mostly from the same individual or individuals.
I find it very annoying to be get email notifications of each and every addition as they aren't of much interest and often just entail never-endings lists of definitions or long-winded explanations. It's a real pain to have to spend so much time deleting them, often unread, from my mailbox.
I don't want
... See more
In one of my language pairs, every single question usually generates anywhere from 10 to 40 or more postings in the discussion box, mostly from the same individual or individuals.
I find it very annoying to be get email notifications of each and every addition as they aren't of much interest and often just entail never-endings lists of definitions or long-winded explanations. It's a real pain to have to spend so much time deleting them, often unread, from my mailbox.
I don't want to stop discussion box notifications from my other pairs, just this one pair.
Is there a way to stop receiving these emails?
Thanks.
Collapse

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:28
French to English
+ ...
Don't know about language pairs, but... Aug 23, 2014

As long as there's at least one discussion entry, there's a check box just below the discussion to receive notifications or not. That's automatically checked, it seems, if you have contributed to the discussion and/or proposed an answer, but otherwise not, and you can un-check it manually at any point.

[Edited at 2014-08-23 15:06 GMT]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Victoria Aug 23, 2014

I never saw that before. Thank you so much!

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
You're most welcome! Aug 23, 2014

writeaway wrote:

I never saw that before. Thank you so much!

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 05:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use an email filter Aug 23, 2014

writeaway wrote:
I don't want to stop discussion box notifications from my other pairs, just this one pair.
Is there a way to stop receiving these emails?
Thanks.

You can set up an email filter to Delete (either send to Bin, or permanently delete) mails which come from [email protected] and which contain the string "Languages: Macedonian to Japanese" (or whatever pair it actually is).

That's for Gmail, but most mailers have similar functionality.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Aug 23, 2014

My email started sending them all to my Spam box for some reason, and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. They clog up your inbox, and they're not necessary - you can just check back periodically to see how people are responding to your questions, answers and comments.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
DIY Aug 24, 2014

The email notification thing is so annoying I just stopped looking at my proz-related inbox a while ago. I suppose I should have a look at it in case there's anything interesting in it.

Ideally I'd like to keep my kudoz and other activities separate from my work-related stuff so that, for example, work offers or requests went into one mailbox while kudoz and forum activities went into the other. And without having to spend ages setting up filters etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to block discussion box notifications from just a single language pair?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »