How should I mention references used several times in a thesis?
Thread poster: Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 18:50
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 29, 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm reviewing a Master's thesis on speech pathology. Several manuals have been mentioned in reference throughout the thesis - some of them time and time again.

The author (i.e. my client) has mentioned these references in the footnote every time, for example: "What happens when people talk, page 12", "What happens when people talk, page 28". Is this the way it should be done? Or is there a specific way the reference should be mentioned after the first time?
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm reviewing a Master's thesis on speech pathology. Several manuals have been mentioned in reference throughout the thesis - some of them time and time again.

The author (i.e. my client) has mentioned these references in the footnote every time, for example: "What happens when people talk, page 12", "What happens when people talk, page 28". Is this the way it should be done? Or is there a specific way the reference should be mentioned after the first time?

Thanks in advance!

Alain Alameddine
Collapse

Domagoj
Domagoj
Local time: 17:50
German to Croatian
+ ...
Yes (as an answer to your question) Jul 29, 2014

Please see: http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/latin-terms-and-abbreviations/

Though it (and many other things) depends on whether s/he (or you as a translator (editor?) is using MLA, APA or Chicago.

Marta Tolosa
Marta Tolosa  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:50
French to Spanish
+ ...
"ibid" Jul 29, 2014

You can use "ibid" or "ibid" + page number" to avoid mentioning the same reference time and time and again.

You will find an explanation here:
http://unilearning.uow.edu.au/academic/4di.html

I find this abbreviation very useful. However, the American Psychological Asociation (APA) style guide, suggests giving the complete references, even if that implies r
... See more
You can use "ibid" or "ibid" + page number" to avoid mentioning the same reference time and time and again.

You will find an explanation here:
http://unilearning.uow.edu.au/academic/4di.html

I find this abbreviation very useful. However, the American Psychological Asociation (APA) style guide, suggests giving the complete references, even if that implies repeating them.

(See this: http://blog.apastyle.org/files/apa-latin-abbreviations-table-2.pdf)

You might want to ask the author of the thesis you are reviewing if he was asked to use this particular style before replacing the reference repetitions by "ibid".

[Edited at 2014-07-29 14:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-29 14:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-29 14:14 GMT]
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:50
French to English
MHRA Style Guide Jul 29, 2014

The MHRA Style Guide states that in all other references after the first, the shortest intelligible form should be used. This will normally be the author's name, followed by the volume (if applicable) and page reference, e.g. Smith, p. 62.

If more than one work by an author has been cited, it might be necessary to repeat a title, in a shortened form.

If there can be no doubt which author is being referred to, but more than one of his/her works has been cited, use the sh
... See more
The MHRA Style Guide states that in all other references after the first, the shortest intelligible form should be used. This will normally be the author's name, followed by the volume (if applicable) and page reference, e.g. Smith, p. 62.

If more than one work by an author has been cited, it might be necessary to repeat a title, in a shortened form.

If there can be no doubt which author is being referred to, but more than one of his/her works has been cited, use the short title of the specific work, followed by the page reference.

"Ibid should be used very sparingly and limited to those situations where there is no possibility of confusion, such as after a second reference which is separated from its predecessor by no more than four lines of typescript." (Quoted from MHRA Style Guide"

Needless to say, you wouldn't use ibid if there were other works cited nearby.
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:50
Japanese to English
+ ...
Style issue Jul 29, 2014

You have to pick a style guide, as they generally have different recommendations for this sort of thing.

What is the style guide preferred in the realm of "speech pathology"?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should I mention references used several times in a thesis?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »