Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Which linux distro is best for translators?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:57
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Does it really make sense… Jul 28, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

• zorin-os-9-core-64 (apparently good for Windows compatibility)
• tuxtrans1404-amd64.iso (I noticed today that this project is alive again; they just added the Heartsome stuff…)
• Peppermint-5-20140623-amd64.iso (LXDE)
• openSUSE-13.1-KDE-Live-x86_64.iso
• openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso
• Mageia-4.1-x86_64-DVD.iso
• linuxmint-17-cinnamon-64bit-v2
• Mint: MATE/Xfce
• Fedora-Live-LXDE-x86_64-20-1.iso
• crunchbang-11-20130506-amd64.iso
• bodhi-2.4.0-64.iso
• Ubuntu (want to see how awful that Unity desktop actually is)
• Kububtu
• Xubuntu (I used this once, long ago)

…to try all these? Most of them are Ubuntu or Debian derivatives, thus you get essentially the same stuff (DE/WM is not really crucial for translator’s work).

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The groundwork… Jul 29, 2014

Hi esperantisto,

Although it is probably true that they are all pretty similar under the hood as most of the ones I'm trying are Ubuntu- or Debian-based, I am also interested in a few other things:

1. How nice the desktop environment and looks … is very important to me. For example, I just tried several distros that use LXDE (so far my favourite DE), but some of the distros have implemented it in a much more visually pleasing manner. So far, I'd have to say th
... See more
Hi esperantisto,

Although it is probably true that they are all pretty similar under the hood as most of the ones I'm trying are Ubuntu- or Debian-based, I am also interested in a few other things:

1. How nice the desktop environment and looks … is very important to me. For example, I just tried several distros that use LXDE (so far my favourite DE), but some of the distros have implemented it in a much more visually pleasing manner. So far, I'd have to say that Peppermint wins in that area.

2. The community: I believe that a good community is absolutely essential for good software. It's so much more fun when you feel that you connect with the people behind your programs. This is one of the biggest reasons why I enjoy using CafeTran so much (and various other ‘small’ tools), for example, and avoid SDL like the plague.

3. Documentation and help forums: It's obviously always better if there is a large amount of well-written, clear documentation and an active forum where you can ask questions.

4. Virtualisation: I have no idea about this yet, but I am looking for the setup that is best at running a copy of Windows, virtually.

5. Software: I am looking for the distro that offers access to the largest amount of translator-specific software. I know that you can get pretty much anything to run on anything, but I think that, e.g., installing KDE alongside Gnome to do so might slow down my laptop. I am therefore trying to figure out beforehand which underlying frameworks etc. offer the best software for my purposes.

Michael

PS: as I am new to Linux, I have probably made tons of mistakes in the above quick summary.
PPS: by the way, trying them isn't as much work as it might seem. I just download them all into a single folder, and then, one-by-one: stick it on a USB stick using UNetbootin, install it on an old test laptop, boot up, look around, and then on to the next one…

[Edited at 2014-07-29 10:33 GMT]
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:57
Beautiful? Jul 29, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

So far, my favourite has been Lubuntu. Still have to try:

How about the beautiful:

http://elementaryos.org

?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hans! Jul 29, 2014

2nl wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

So far, my favourite has been Lubuntu. Still have to try:

How about the beautiful:

http://elementaryos.org

?

Interesting. I'll add it to my list.

Michael

PS: Just realised how fun VMware Workstation 10‎ can be! I know, I know, you keep telling me that virtual is the way forward, and who knows, you might just have been right. Currently playing around with all kinds of OSs .... an old copy of XP, Win7, Win8, OS X Mavericks, and various Linux distros, all inside of my current Win7 laptop.

[Edited at 2014-07-29 23:20 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:57
Finnish to French
OS X in VM under Windows Aug 4, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:
PS: Just realised how fun VMware Workstation 10‎ can be! I know, I know, you keep telling me that virtual is the way forward, and who knows, you might just have been right. Currently playing around with all kinds of OSs .... an old copy of XP, Win7, Win8, OS X Mavericks, and various Linux distros, all inside of my current Win7 laptop.

Be prepared for a bunch of angry lawyers to knock at your door anytime! Running OS X on a non-Apple machine and/or inside a non-Apple OS is a definite no-no!

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I somehow doubt that. Aug 4, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Be prepared for a bunch of angry lawyers to knock at your door anytime! Running OS X on a non-Apple machine and/or inside a non-Apple OS is a definite no-no!

To be honest, I think the whole Hackintosh thing is probably just good advertising for Apple. People play around with it for a while and usually end up buying a Mac if they like what they see.

Michael

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:57
English to Czech
Overview of Tuxtrans14.4 Oct 24, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

• tuxtrans1404-amd64.iso (I noticed today that this project is alive again; they just added the Heartsome stuff…)

I am Windows user, but I created a short presentation on Tuxtrans 14.4

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2014-10/19/cs/00.html

The screanshots are mostly from video of Tuxtrans 14.2.

I was able to burn a live (and install) DVD. I will make a installation on other computers.

Milan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which linux distro is best for translators?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »