Laura Hargreaves
Laura Hargreaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:05
French
+ ...
Oct 19, 2014

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding translation samples, more specifically literary samples for sending speculative applications to publishers. Can I use anything for these, regardless of copyright? Ideally, I'd like to use passages from a few specific books. Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks!

Kind Regards,

Laura Hargreaves
LanguagesbyLaura.com
Creative
... See more
Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding translation samples, more specifically literary samples for sending speculative applications to publishers. Can I use anything for these, regardless of copyright? Ideally, I'd like to use passages from a few specific books. Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks!

Kind Regards,

Laura Hargreaves
LanguagesbyLaura.com
Creative Translation and Language Tuition
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:05
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
CV/Resume Oct 20, 2014

I simply use my CV/resume as translation sample. I have copies of my CV/resume both in English and Turkish.

Laura Hargreaves
United Kingdom
French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 20, 2014

Thanks Atil!

I was thinking more specifically literary samples for publishers, I don't tend to bother for commercial work as I have samples on ProZ and agencies often ask for test files anyway!

Kind Regards,

Laura Hargreaves
LanguagesbyLaura.com

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:05
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Samples Oct 20, 2014

Hi Laura,

you can send samples that you have translated, but ensure that there will be no copyright infringements. To be on the safe side, get permission to use the samples. This might be a little time consuming, but a serious copyright infringement will cost you more than "just your time".

Best,

Thayenga

Laura Hargreaves
United Kingdom
French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 20, 2014

Great, thanks Thayenga, I did think that may be the case!

Kind Regards,

Laura Hargreaves
LanguagesbyLaura.com

Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
Local time: 13:05
English to German
+ ...
the other way round Oct 20, 2014

Hi,

From experience I would recommend doing it the other way round. Publishers/editors are swamped with proposals, applications and inquiries from translators. They get so many unsolicited texts that they often shrink from reading yet another one.

I'd suggest you send your CV and a list of literary related projects which you have completed and tell them you'd be happy to do a sample translation.
This will save you a lot of work which might come to nothing - plus
... See more
Hi,

From experience I would recommend doing it the other way round. Publishers/editors are swamped with proposals, applications and inquiries from translators. They get so many unsolicited texts that they often shrink from reading yet another one.

I'd suggest you send your CV and a list of literary related projects which you have completed and tell them you'd be happy to do a sample translation.
This will save you a lot of work which might come to nothing - plus your prospective client may want to give you a very specific sample which fits their requirements.

Hope this helps!
Usch
Collapse

Laura Hargreaves
United Kingdom
French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great Suggestion Oct 20, 2014

That's a good suggestion, thanks Usch!

Kind Regards,

Laura Hargreaves
LanguagesbyLaura.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Samples

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »