Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How can I market myself to boost my income?
Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:48
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
E-Book received - thanks Mar 3, 2010

I am already reading the e-book - muchas gracias Pablo!

Ekaterina Yakushcheva
Ekaterina Yakushcheva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:48
English to Russian
+ ...
Dear Pablo, Mar 4, 2010

Could I have a link, too, please? Thank you.

Dmitrie Highduke
Dmitrie Highduke  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:48
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Pablo! Mar 4, 2010

Would you be so kind as to give me the link, please?

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:48
German to Spanish
+ ...
How can I market myself to boost my income? Mar 4, 2010

@ Hi, all:

plz, do not ask more for the book, neither for the download link.
I am now too busy with a personal project for more demands. Thank you for your understanding.

[Editado a las 2010-03-04 10:11 GMT]

solange trad
solange trad
Portuguese
+ ...
suggestions Mar 4, 2010

Hi Paul,

Here are two ideas to learn more about marketing your services:

- Read widely about marketing for small businesses/freelancers.

- Look at the SEBRAE website for your state.
Sebrae often run courses in marketing and other aspects of running a small business in Brazil with professional tutors. They also run online distance learning courses.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 19:48
SITE STAFF
Moving to marketing forum Mar 4, 2010

Hi all,

Sorry to interrupt, but I've moved the thread to the new Marketing for translators forum.

Best regards,

Jared

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Even if you are new, dont work on platforms like Translia Aug 21, 2014

This topic is old but I still comment here regarding one detail in the story of the topic starter which is Translia. I dont translate for them but happen to set my account there when I dont know how they work. And now witnessing their work, I am appalled and have to remove any details I set there to cut my connection.

They dont assign projects to specific translators but anyone with an account can work on it. So at the same time each sentence of the project can be done by a differen
... See more
This topic is old but I still comment here regarding one detail in the story of the topic starter which is Translia. I dont translate for them but happen to set my account there when I dont know how they work. And now witnessing their work, I am appalled and have to remove any details I set there to cut my connection.

They dont assign projects to specific translators but anyone with an account can work on it. So at the same time each sentence of the project can be done by a different translator. The more sentences you work on, the more share of points you get and point turn into money. I dont work on any sentence so dont know how much is a point (maybe different between languages) or their payment practice or how the translation is approved of passing to get points so no comment about that. The editing part is just like that and they have a ranking based on works done for the site so less experienced translator can be editor for good but new translator and change right into wrong. No control ever over the quality like this because there is no screening, no PM, no selection of specilization and thus I cant look at the translation because it is no better than google, no human tuned flow. I dont want to edit it because it means I work and approve this unethical practice.

Also, since the project is shared so in the end you may got too small points to turn it into profit but even if you hastily work on many sentences to get points you ruin the quality. And you may not now how long it take for you to accumulate points enough to get pay. Better invest that amount of time on advertising and contacting real and good agencies and companies which need support from good translators.

This is a quick money making for the owner at the expense of translators. Signing and working for them will mean you are shooting your future and turning some low standards into yours.

PS: if not receiving any money can still enable me to leave a comment on the BB I would do so to warn people.

[Edited at 2014-08-21 02:09 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I market myself to boost my income?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »