Thread poster: Christian Esquivel
Trisha F
Trisha F  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reference problem Aug 1, 2014

I wrote to an agency I was interested in working with. To my surprise, they replied straightaway. They said they could add me to their database but needed two references, then I could complete a test.

At the moment I am regularly receiving work from another agency in the same field of expertise and if this new company is requesting references in this precise field, there is only one source they can get them from: the agency I constantly work with and which would be regarded as a co
... See more
I wrote to an agency I was interested in working with. To my surprise, they replied straightaway. They said they could add me to their database but needed two references, then I could complete a test.

At the moment I am regularly receiving work from another agency in the same field of expertise and if this new company is requesting references in this precise field, there is only one source they can get them from: the agency I constantly work with and which would be regarded as a competitor. I do not think it is wise or business-like to ask them for references so that I can now translate for this other company too. I am a freelancer who is trying to get more jobs in this specific area and it would not be wrong on my part to approach agencies that can give me such jobs but I do not feel comfortable with the idea of providing this sort of information on the agencies I am linked to. I do not want to jeopardise my relationship with the PMs in any way, nor would I like them to feel annoyed by the questions from a seemingly competing agency.

Having read this thread I am inclined to reply that I would be deligthed to do the test translation but that I do not provide information on my clients due to confidentiality agreements (which is true as well, as I signed a contract which covers that). I can link them to my Proz profile. I have already obtained two WWAs from other agencies. I may never hear from this company again but I cannot risk losing one of the most reliable sources of work I have.
Collapse

Ana Cuesta
Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:17
English to Spanish
Using membership in a professional association instead Aug 1, 2014

The way I solved it, at least for UK clients, is by joining the Chartered Institute of Linguists. They check two professional references before granting admission and all UK agencies are aware of that fact so that is normally enough to fulfil their registration requirements. You get a link to your l... See more
The way I solved it, at least for UK clients, is by joining the Chartered Institute of Linguists. They check two professional references before granting admission and all UK agencies are aware of that fact so that is normally enough to fulfil their registration requirements. You get a link to your listing on their page such as http://www.iol.org.uk/linguist/translator3.asp?r=PCTXYL10046&ID=2292 which serves as a proof of membership. And of course asking existing regular clients to provide references to the CIoL is always better received than asking them to provide references to their competence.Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
WWA Aug 1, 2014

WWA = References. At least, in my book they are. And they're certainly all that I'll ever give to a potential client. Except that I don't call them references: they're testimonials.

I wouldn't expect too much from an agency that demands references and a test before a job is actually available. They are usually all hot air and will generously offer half your rate. But maybe I'm just cynical nowadays.

Trisha F
Trisha F  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
I hear you! Aug 1, 2014

Yes, it is a bit sad to receive such replies from agencies when you are eager and want to broaden your horizons. I will still give it a try and link them to my profile and my WWAs. If they are happy with this then I assume it is not a bad sign. If not, then perhaps it is for the best.

Anthony Teixeira
Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 23:17
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Go for WWA Aug 2, 2014

Lately, I have been sending a link to my WWA when clients are asking me for references, and I haven't had any problem so far.

If clients get skeptical, I will just let them know that WWA entries are more reliable than e-mail references, since they are connected to verified corporate accounts. Creating fake references is very easy, fake WWAs much less.

I occasionally outsource, and I once received a 4-page long questionnaire from an agency that wanted to check a referenc
... See more
Lately, I have been sending a link to my WWA when clients are asking me for references, and I haven't had any problem so far.

If clients get skeptical, I will just let them know that WWA entries are more reliable than e-mail references, since they are connected to verified corporate accounts. Creating fake references is very easy, fake WWAs much less.

I occasionally outsource, and I once received a 4-page long questionnaire from an agency that wanted to check a reference. The questions were ridiculously specific, and all had to be answered in free text fields, rather than with checkboxes/combo boxes. I don't want to bother my clients with such things.
Collapse

Kate Tomkins
Kate Tomkins
German to English
Difference compared to employees Aug 4, 2014

An employee usually only works for one employer at a time. When transferring between different employees, references make complete sense.

In the case of freelancers, the problem is that they will have many clients at the same time. Many they will work with regularly, if the client is happy with the freelancer's work and wants to keep them around.

So what sense does it make for such a client to tell other potential clients how good this freelancer is? They might do so pu
... See more
An employee usually only works for one employer at a time. When transferring between different employees, references make complete sense.

In the case of freelancers, the problem is that they will have many clients at the same time. Many they will work with regularly, if the client is happy with the freelancer's work and wants to keep them around.

So what sense does it make for such a client to tell other potential clients how good this freelancer is? They might do so purely to be helpful, but from their point of view, they naturally want to keep the freelancer to themselves as much as possible.

I keep my clients completely confidential - it is not their job to help me find additional work.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:17
English to Polish
+ ...
... Aug 5, 2014

Be general. Don't give out more than you honestly in good faith can under those non-disclosure agreements, at least in so far as the NDAs are valid under the law. Use the mystery to your advantage, you can even create some appeal with it, especially if you translate for major players who shall not be named. Collect testimonials online and references on paper. You can use client feedback as testimonials without identifying clients too. Get accredited/certified somewhere, pass some tests, win some... See more
Be general. Don't give out more than you honestly in good faith can under those non-disclosure agreements, at least in so far as the NDAs are valid under the law. Use the mystery to your advantage, you can even create some appeal with it, especially if you translate for major players who shall not be named. Collect testimonials online and references on paper. You can use client feedback as testimonials without identifying clients too. Get accredited/certified somewhere, pass some tests, win some contests, to establish credibility and verifiability. Translate some samples specifically for your portfolio (make sure you don't violate any copyrights, so e.g. take open-licence texts and provide attribution or use works with expired copyrights or those in the public domain; you can probably ask friends who write for a living for some samples that don't contain identifiable information about clients, e.g. accountants, lawyers, medical doctors etc.).Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Would a solicitor or doctor give references or 'test consultations'? Aug 5, 2014

I think comparing with other independent professions is a good guideline. Ask yourself if a doctor or solicitor would give references to other clients or provide 'test consultations'.

I think we all know the answer. My answer will be the same, and if the agency insists on references, I think I'll be better off not getting involved, as there are plenty of dodgy agencies around, using all sorts of tricks to pay less, late or not at all.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not being able to give references due to Confidentiality Agreements

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »