Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 15, 2014

Hi again...

I made another one...

This video explains how Google Analytics can help improve your website (which we made for free in a previous video). For those that are unfamiliar with Google Analytics, it's a free service offered by Google that helps you keep track of how many visitors you receive to your site, how they find your site, and what they do while on your site. For example, I saw that I was getting a lot of visits to a couple of my blog posts, but that peop
... See more
Hi again...

I made another one...

This video explains how Google Analytics can help improve your website (which we made for free in a previous video). For those that are unfamiliar with Google Analytics, it's a free service offered by Google that helps you keep track of how many visitors you receive to your site, how they find your site, and what they do while on your site. For example, I saw that I was getting a lot of visits to a couple of my blog posts, but that people would just drop off the site and not look at anything else. So I started to add links to other blog posts or some other call to action at the end of each post to engage my readers a bit more. And it worked!

If you are currently marketing yourself online, this is a good tool to have and understand in order to evaluate how well your current marketing plan is working. If you're just starting, this will help you see how your efforts influence your website and can help you take advantage of opportunities as they arise. Plus, you can see if there is anything "broken" on your site (like my visitor leak!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb55CMPhLtk

If you like these kinds of videos, make sure to subscribe to my channel. I upload this kind of stuff every couple of weeks. There's a big red "subscribe" button right underneath the video.

Also, if you have any questions about online marketing, or if there is something that you would like to see more of, let me know and I'll do what I can!

Thanks!

-Triston

[Edited at 2014-12-15 07:06 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2014-12-15 17:26 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:33
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Google Dec 15, 2014

Well, of course it's free. After all, this enables Google to harvest more and more information on a wide-spread level.

Triston Goodwin
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You already guess the twist ending of my next video! Dec 15, 2014

That's true, but they're already scanning your website with their crawlers. Personally, I think that they provide all this information and let you see your sites weak spots so that you will by ads through them in order to generate more traffic.

Though advertising through Google is WAY better than through Facebook.

Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:33
Chinese to French
+ ...
I fail to see how this is related to translation Dec 17, 2014

Sounds more like advertising a Youtube channel to me.

Plus justifying Analytics with crawlers is a sign that you might be lacking some knowledge on the matter. Or worse.

There are non-intrusive alternatives to this service.

Triston Goodwin
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Marketing Dec 17, 2014

Pierret Adrien wrote:

Plus justifying Analytics with crawlers is a sign that you might be lacking some knowledge on the matter. Or worse.

This video is part of group that I've been working on that explains how to build a free website to help people market their translation services. I had mentioned that in the original post and this is posted under "Marketing for translators".

In regards to using Google Analyics instead of another system, the idea is to keep things simple. The CMS that we've been using makes integrating Analytics really easy. Google Analytics is used a lot here and provides a lot of really helpful information. Plus it's free - which is the main concept behind the videos.

Based on the positive responses from the other videos, I figured this information was appreciated. I apologize if this looks like some sort of advertisement

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Pierret Dec 17, 2014

Pierret Adrien wrote:

It's posted in the "Marketing for translators" forum.

Not really. If there were, you'd have told us about them, wouldn't you have? (-:

Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:33
Chinese to French
+ ...
Piwik Dec 18, 2014

is one

[Edited at 2014-12-18 03:53 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Piwik Dec 18, 2014

Pierret Adrien wrote:
Piwik is one.

Piwik isn't free, though. To use Piwik, you need to hire a web host to set it up and run it and host it. Google Analytics is a free solution that requires nothing more than signing up.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 18:33
Japanese to English
Great, thanks! Dec 18, 2014

Triston Goodwin wrote:

If you like these kinds of videos, make sure to subscribe to my channel. I upload this kind of stuff every couple of weeks. There's a big red "subscribe" button right underneath the video.

I have your playlist bookmarked, but I just depend on your post for updates, heh heh. I haven't actually started implementing any of the stuff I've learned, but even though my website (www.japan-translate.com) is in Wordpress and not Weebly I'm sure I'll be able to apply most of the principles within. I'll be working on the site over the holidays... I think... maybe. Thanks a lot and keep it up!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
2 sides of the "same" medal Dec 21, 2014

Triston Goodwin wrote:

Though advertising through Google is WAY better than through Facebook.

Well, as far as spying is concerned, there's not really a difference.

Triston Goodwin
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A sore subject... Dec 21, 2014

I worry that there are scarier groups than Facebook and Google spying on us :/

I have advertised on Google, Bing and Facebook without any real success. Facebook seemed like a scam, though. I received a ton of likes, sure, but they were mostly from young kids from countries that I wasn't targeting and not the specific groups that I was after. It was a total waste of time and money.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to make this video simply because I know that I'll be
... See more
I worry that there are scarier groups than Facebook and Google spying on us :/

I have advertised on Google, Bing and Facebook without any real success. Facebook seemed like a scam, though. I received a ton of likes, sure, but they were mostly from young kids from countries that I wasn't targeting and not the specific groups that I was after. It was a total waste of time and money.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to make this video simply because I know that I'll be throwing money out the window. At the same time it might help others avoid my mistakes and decide if paid ads are a viable option. I have learned a lot more about paid advertising since my last attempt (about six months ago) and it might work better now.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Video explaining how Google Analytics can help improve your website

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »