Local time: 04:43
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Concerns Jan 24, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Carolina Garrido wrote:
the confidentiality problem and NDAs was one of my biggest concerns

...your "best rate", once you are eligible for a job...

Thanks, Matthias. I will make a list of concerns raised and see if I can attend the free webinar to try and make up my mind about all of them. I sincerely appreciate ervybody's help.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:43
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
People seem interested Jan 24, 2016

Meta Arkadia wrote:
people are interested because TM-Town is rather innovative, and start a thread on TM-Town. I don't think TM-Town's Kevin is behind it, and since a lot of posts are rather negative

I don't use TM-Town, but I tend to agree with you. Personally I don't believe he's overstepped the mark, at least not yet. From what I can see, Kevin reacts to queries related to what many find to be an intriguing service and he seems to be pretty professional in his responses.

And this is the marketing sub-topic.

Regards
Dan

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 18:43
Rates Jan 24, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Carolina Garrido wrote:
the confidentiality problem and NDAs was one of my biggest concerns

...your "best rate", once you are eligible for a job...

Matthias - could you explain what you mean by this?

On TM-Town translators can specify a rate range on their profiles (if they so choose), but don't have to and can leave that section blank.

If contacted by a client, you (the translator) can negotiate as you see fit. You are free to email/contact the client directly. TM-Town is not involved in the transaction and does not take any cut. That is not our business model.

Kevin

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
No, discussions on this site did not start from our interest Jan 24, 2016

Meta Arkadia wrote:
people are interested because TM-Town is rather innovative, and start a thread on TM-Town. I don't think TM-Town's Kevin is behind it

Actually, the first topic of discussion about TM-Town stemmed from the fact that the profiles of all Pro-tag members were suddenly discovered on that site. This was apparently as a result of their interest and confidence in this newcomer and it was implied that they were about to upload all their TMs there. And all this without the knowledge of ProZ.com members themselves. I personally was horrified to see my name there, apparently as a staunch supporter of something I didn't know existed.

Then there's the fact that ProZ.com users are, reasonably enough, entreated to complete our ProZ.com profiles fully. When doing that, newcomers will be conned (I'm sorry, but how else can I put it?) into uploading their TMs there.

Both the above interfaces have been initiated by this site, ProZ.com. Not by its members. I too would very much like to know the relationship between TM-Town and ProZ.com and between the owners of both.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Ah Jan 24, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Actually, the first topic of discussion about TM-Town stemmed from the fact that the profiles of all Pro-tag members were suddenly discovered on that site.

I wasn't aware of this. As you say, it would be interesting to know more about the relationship between ProZ and TM-Town.

Regards
Dan

..... (X)
..... (X)
Correction Jan 24, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Actually, the first topic of discussion about TM-Town stemmed from the fact that the profiles of all Pro-tag members were suddenly discovered on that site.

Well, this is not exactly true. First of all, that was not the first topic of discussion about TM-Town (see here).

Secondly, there were never any profiles created on TM-Town of translators who had not signed up for TM-Town.

ProZ has an API that returns ProZ members given certain criteria (such as a language pair). We applied for an API key and were issued one and actively encouraged by ProZ to make use of it as ProZ sees it as a way to provide [ProZ.com members] potential additional exposure to potential clients outside of ProZ.

We used the ProZ API in our directory search in the following way - if someone searched for an "English to Spanish" translator we first showed results of TM-Town members and then, below that, we had a bold note that the following additional results are provided by ProZ.com and we showed the translator's name, language pair and clicking on that went directly to that person's ProZ.com profile (there was never a TM-Town profile created).

At the time, I was not aware that some/many ProZ members did not know of the ProZ API or how to opt-out (and subsequently there was debate of whether the ProZ API should be opt-out or opt-in). After Sheila and others raised their concerns I promptly removed the ProZ.com API results from TM-Town and apologized.

Kevin

Edit: typo

[Edited at 2016-01-25 00:25 GMT]

..... (X)
..... (X)
You do not have to upload TMs Jan 24, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

When doing that, newcomers will be conned (I'm sorry, but how else can I put it?) into uploading their TMs there.

I don't think this is a fair statement at all. One can use TM-Town and benefit from it without uploading anything:
• You can have a profile on TM-Town (no requirement to load work).
• We have a source text library where one can create a sample translation if s/he does not want to or can not load any work (due to NDAs, personal preference, etc.).
• As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread we will soon be releasing a completely offline desktop application which will allow one to get credit for their work (and the potential to be discovered based on their work) without loading any TMs, aligned translation units, or even any full segments.

Kevin

Andrea Muller (X)
Andrea Muller (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Would also like to know more about relationship ProZ & TM-Town Jan 24, 2016

Like some others here, I would like to know more about this relationship, and where this might all be heading.

In addition to the annoying upload TM invitation in the portfolio section of my profile, I now found another link to TM-T when I was updating the contact detail section on my profile, between 'Social networks' and 'Company Name':

"Translation networks / platforms
TM-Town.com
Account not associated
Do you have a TM-Town Account? Click here to
... See more
Like some others here, I would like to know more about this relationship, and where this might all be heading.

In addition to the annoying upload TM invitation in the portfolio section of my profile, I now found another link to TM-T when I was updating the contact detail section on my profile, between 'Social networks' and 'Company Name':

"Translation networks / platforms
TM-Town.com
Account not associated
Do you have a TM-Town Account? Click here to connect it with this profile.
Connecting a TM-Town account may allow you to access certain services offered by that site from within ProZ.com. Learn more about TM-Town.

TM-Town is a vendor partner of ProZ.com. To inquire about adding your translation networks / platform to this page, please use the online support system."

I have no idea how long this has been there, but it seems that I am having TM-T shoved at me wherever I go on ProZ. I am not in the least interested in joining up, and if this is or becomes something that is expected of ProZ members, I would rather leave the site altogether.

And (like on of the other posters on here, I think it was Barbara) I am still waiting for ProZ to make it possible to take that TM-Town upload invitation off the the owner view of my profile.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:43
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Notes Jan 24, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

That wasn't as much as a discussion about TM-Town as it was a discussion about - criticism on, rather - ProZ ethics (see below).

I'm convinced Carolina - the OP of this thread - started this topic out of genuine interest in TM-Town. Unfortunately, it has again turned into TM-Town bashing.

Dan wrote:
...it would be interesting to know more about the relationship between ProZ and TM-Town

I think it's a client - customer relation, Dan. TM-Town pays for services rendered by ProZ. Elsewhere, Henry himself "admitted" (so he's guilty!) that he has had a long talk with Kevin (who must be guilty as well!), and that he - like me (I'm guilty!) - came to the conclusion TM-Town is a good idea, without any bad intentions. You can't blame Kevin for using the opportunities ProZ offered TM-Town, especially not if the latter paid for them. Unfortunately, that's exactly what's happening in these threads time and again. There are valid reasons not to use TM-Town in general, or in specific cases (or even because you're not interested in the features TM-Town offers), but most if not all of the bashing here is not based on understanding what TM-Town really is, and it's not being put into perspective either.

Cheers,

Hans

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
I see Jan 25, 2016

Meta Arkadia wrote:
I think it's a client - customer relation, Dan. TM-Town pays for services rendered by ProZ. Elsewhere, Henry himself "admitted" (so he's guilty!) that he has had a long talk with Kevin (who must be guilty as well!), and that he - like me (I'm guilty!) - came to the conclusion TM-Town is a good idea, without any bad intentions.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers
Dan

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:43
Catalan to English
+ ...
? Jan 25, 2016

Kevin Dias wrote:

If you are interested in learning more, I am hosting a free webinar on ProZ about TM-Town on Jan. 26th at 14:00 GMT.

Kevin

..... (X)
..... (X)
Translation (shorthand -> EN) Jan 25, 2016

Andy Watkinson wrote:
?
Kevin Dias wrote:

If you are interested in learning more, I am hosting a free webinar on ProZ about TM-Town on Jan. 26th at 14:00 GMT.

Kevin

If you are so inclined to learn more about TM-Town, I will be hosting a webinar about the platform on Jan. 26th at 14:00 GMT. The content of the webinar will cover different features of TM-Town. The webinar will be hosted by ProZ.com as part of ProZ.com’s translator training platform through the medium of the GoToWebinar online training platform. The cost to attend is free. You can register here.

Carolina Garrido
Carolina Garrido  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:43
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Ouch! Jan 25, 2016

It was never my point to create so much controversy by asking this question, just to gather some information from users or people who have decided against using it to help me make up my mind. I apologize for any problem I have created.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:43
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Inventing the wheel again and again Jan 25, 2016

Kevin Dias wrote:

Matthias - could you explain what you mean by this?

Kevin

At the end of the day, when you finally have set up your profile (and paid) not only in proz, but also in translator´s cafe, Linkedin, Facebook, Xing, Twitter, TM-T, WhatsApp etc., you will be contacted by the same agencies as always, who will then as always ask for your "best rate". Translators shoot in their own feet when they think fora diverting and fora hopping will be of any more use. It´s like inventing the wheel again and again, whereas the road under the wheels remains the same.

[Edited at 2016-01-25 11:59 GMT]

..... (X)
..... (X)
Analysis of Job Messages on TM-Town Jan 25, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

At the end of the day, when you finally have set up your profile (and paid) not only in proz, but also in translator´s cafe, Linkedin, Facebook, Xing, Twitter, TM-T, WhatsApp etc., you will be contacted by the same agencies as always, who will then as always ask for your "best rate". Translators shoot in their own feet when they think fora diverting and fora hopping will be of any more use. It´s like inventing the wheel again and again, whereas the road for the wheels remains the same.

Fair enough, but the data points I have seen do not necessarily support this opinion. To date the valid profile messages on TM-Town can be classified as follows:

Agency: 44.4% (25% related to a specific project and 75% related to a long term collaboration)
End Client: 28.8%
Peer-to-peer: 26.6%

Out of these valid messages only 6% have asked for a "best rate".

Matthias Brombach wrote:

It´s like inventing the wheel again and again, whereas the road for the wheels remains the same.

I would argue that TM-Town's Nakōdo search is unique. Maybe you are right and it is just reinventing the wheel, but I do think it is a step forward over a traditional directory search.

Kevin

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What could you tell me about TM-Town?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »