Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Same here Jan 25, 2016

Andrea Muller wrote:

And (like on of the other posters on here, I think it was Barbara) I am still waiting for ProZ to make it possible to take that TM-Town upload invitation off the the owner view of my profile.

Me too. Can anyone at Proz kindly give us an idea of when this will be done? Thanks in advance.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
concerns expressed Jan 25, 2016

I agree with the concerns expressed by other posters on this topic.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Difference in perception Jan 25, 2016

Firstly, apologies for replying so late and causing things to get out of sequence, but I was actually on holiday last week.
Kevin Dias wrote:
there were never any profiles created on TM-Town of translators who had not signed up for TM-Town.

ProZ has an API that returns ProZ members given certain criteria (such as a language pair). We applied for an API key and were issued one and actively encouraged by ProZ to make use of it as ProZ sees it as a way to provide [ProZ.com members] potential additional exposure to potential clients outside of ProZ.

We used the ProZ API in our directory search in the following way - if someone searched for an "English to Spanish" translator we first showed results of TM-Town members and then, below that, we had a bold note that the following additional results are provided by ProZ.com and we showed the translator's name, language pair and clicking on that went directly to that person's ProZ.com profile (there was never a TM-Town profile created).

I understand now that you, as the owner of the site, saw a difference. You knew that our profiles had not been copied or uploaded to your site. But I'm sure you can understand that to me, a translator with borderline IT skills, couldn't see any difference between my profile here and the one I found on TM-Town.
After Sheila and others raised their concerns I promptly removed the ProZ.com API results from TM-Town and apologized.

You did indeed, Kevin. Apologies were accepted. That problem is now solved as only ProZ.com members who opt in now have their profiles displayed there.

Sheila Wilson wrote:
When doing that, newcomers will be conned (I'm sorry, but how else can I put it?) into uploading their TMs there.
Kevin Dias wrote:
I don't think this is a fair statement at all. One can use TM-Town and benefit from it without uploading anything:
• You can have a profile on TM-Town (no requirement to load work).
• We have a source text library where one can create a sample translation if s/he does not want to or can not load any work (due to NDAs, personal preference, etc.).

I know that - now - Kevin. Unfortunately, there are many translators every day who start using ProZ.com. Some come here with years of experience and hefty TMs; others are newbies to the profession with only a few samples under their belt. I imagine an important aim of each category is to gain work from the site, particularly when they pay for membership. So they'll want to maximise their chances by following all the site's recommendations. So they try to improve their profile and now they see one of the "perks" to paid membership (quoting an extract of the informative text shown):
Want to put your portfolio to work for you elsewhere?

Since you are a paying member of ProZ.com, it is possible to export your portfolio samples to TM-Town.com. Doing so might lead, over time, to new client or collaboration opportunities.

If you would like to take advantage of this opportunity, first "connect" your ProZ.com account with TM-Town via your ProZ.com profile settings page, then return here to selectively export your translation samples.

So no, you don't HAVE to upload anything. But you want to maximise your chances of getting more work, don't you? And this is clearly the recommended route to that goal.

I am personally very suspicious about your site's long-term objectives, Kevin, but maybe that's just because I'm a cynical old woman - I'm suspicious of Google and Facebook, etc. even though most people don't seem to be. I've certainly been impressed with the way you've handled things and responded to us, and I don't mean to lead a witch-hunt against you. My anger is directed more towards THIS site, ProZ.com, for pushing YOUR site down our throats.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
How? Jan 25, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

..... That problem is now solved as only ProZ.com members who opt in now have their profiles displayed there.

The TM thing is still appearing in my "owner" view. How do I remove it?

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Different problem, Tom Jan 25, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:
..... That problem is now solved as only ProZ.com members who opt in now have their profiles displayed there.

The TM thing is still appearing in my "owner" view. How do I remove it?

The first part of my post was about "P" members here having their profile information displayed on the TM-Town site, as though they were endorsing it, when they didn't even know of its existence. That's what has been resolved.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree Jan 25, 2016

I agree with the last sentence of Sheila's post, and await further information.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 22:26
@Sheila Jan 25, 2016

Thanks for your reply.

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I know that - now - Kevin. Unfortunately, there are many translators every day who start using ProZ.com. Some come here with years of experience and hefty TMs; others are newbies to the profession with only a few samples under their belt. I imagine an important aim of each category is to gain work from the site, particularly when they pay for membership. So they'll want to maximise their chances by following all the site's recommendations. So they try to improve their profile and now they see one of the "perks" to paid membership (quoting an extract of the informative text shown):
Want to put your portfolio to work for you elsewhere?

Since you are a paying member of ProZ.com, it is possible to export your portfolio samples to TM-Town.com. Doing so might lead, over time, to new client or collaboration opportunities.

If you would like to take advantage of this opportunity, first "connect" your ProZ.com account with TM-Town via your ProZ.com profile settings page, then return here to selectively export your translation samples.

OK, so let me put on my tin foil hat for a second and describe a hypothetical situation. Let's imagine I am out to steal these TMs and sell them on the black market.

Well, the feature you are talking about in the quote above is the feature where a ProZ.com paying member can load their ProZ.com portfolio samples to TM-Town. These portfolio samples are public. Available on the Internet to anyone. Therefore if evil Kevin goes to sell them on the black market he will get laughed at as the potential black market buyer will say "why would I buy this public data from you when I can write a simple script to scrape the site and have these portfolio samples in 10 minutes".

Sheila Wilson wrote:

So no, you don't HAVE to upload anything. But you want to maximise your chances of getting more work, don't you? And this is clearly the recommended route to that goal.

Yes, currently that is the recommended route. However, I think we try to listen carefully to the feedback we receive and it is clear that there are many translators who are interested in the idea of TM-Town (and specifically the Nakōdo search concept) but are not willing or able to load their work to a site on the Internet. Thus I have been hard at work on a desktop application which would give translators the potential to "maximise [their] chances of getting more work" on TM-Town without uploading any TMs. The TM gets analyzed offline and NO aligned translation units or segments are sent to TM-Town.

I described how this will work at the beginning of this thread.

So I ask you to put on your cynical hat and tell me why I would create a method wherein a translator can 100% "maximise [their] chances of getting more work" on TM-Town without loading any TM data if my only objective was nefarious and to steal TMs?

Kevin

[Edited at 2016-01-25 11:11 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree Jan 25, 2016

I agree.

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'll decline that invitation Jan 25, 2016

Kevin Dias wrote:
So I ask you to put on your cynical hat and tell me why I would create a method wherein a translator can 100% "maximise [their] chances of getting more work" on TM-Town without loading any TM data if my only objective was nefarious and to steal TMs?

I think I've added enough to your viral marketing effort for the moment.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:26
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Smells fishy Jan 25, 2016

Dear all,

I'd just like to draw you attention to another thread concerning XY-City and why this business seems to be allowed the huge amount of advertising it gets, in stark contrast to past practice and site rules:

http://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/297439-tm_town_and_site_rule_3.html

Regards,
Erik

Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
I don't understand what all the fuss is about Jan 25, 2016

Carolina Garrido wrote:

It was never my point to create so much controversy by asking this question, just to gather some information from users or people who have decided against using it to help me make up my mind. I apologize for any problem I have created.

I don't think you should apologise for having your question taken way off topic! I am lost as to why the subject is so contentious, there is much moaning about free exposure, which in itself is the exposure...it's there, use it if you wish, don't if you don't. I have no idea why it needs to be more complex than that.

I have registered on there, I actually signed up when it first started. I haven't found the time lately to look into the more recently added features, so can't comment on those. However what I can say so far is, that I have purchased some great termbases from there, for next to nothing, which have paid for themselves in probably under an hour, as they saved me inordinate amounts of time not only in terminology searches, but also by knocking "must find the time to turn freely available online dictionary resources into .sdltbs some time" off my to do list.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:26
SITE FOUNDER
I replied in the other thread Jan 25, 2016

Hi all,

First of all, no need to apologize, Carolina, yours was a perfectly valid topic.

There were questions again about the relationship between ProZ.com and TM-Town; I have replied in the other thread: http://www.proz.com/post/2513714#2513714

To respond to what is specific to this thread, Sheila is probably justified in saying: "My anger is directed more
... See more
Hi all,

First of all, no need to apologize, Carolina, yours was a perfectly valid topic.

There were questions again about the relationship between ProZ.com and TM-Town; I have replied in the other thread: http://www.proz.com/post/2513714#2513714

To respond to what is specific to this thread, Sheila is probably justified in saying: "My anger is directed more towards THIS site, ProZ.com, for pushing YOUR site down our throats." I would say that Sheila is justified not because we added the option to export portfolios in the first place, since after all the API-based interconnects are optional and available to whoever is willing to implement them, and we are interested in providing even more options like this so that our members have the option of taking advantage of other services out there, but because we have not yet delivered the option to remove it from one's own view, thereby relieving people of that possible personal annoyance. (I would remind again that clients don't see it!) I simply have not prioritized it as highly as some other things we have been working on. Anyway, I've been asked for a date, so, I promise to try to get it done over the next two weeks!
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:26
SITE FOUNDER
It is now possible to remove the TM-Town export option from your profile Feb 2, 2016

Hi all,

If you have a portfolio in your profile, you may have noticed a box inviting you to export one or more items in the portfolio to TM-Town. Some members expressed an interest in having a way to remove that box from their profile. That option has now been provided; you can now opt to permanently remove that TM-Town export option from your profile. (And if you ever want it back, just submit a support ticket.)

Henry

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Greyed out Feb 2, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Hi all,

If you have a portfolio in your profile, you may have noticed a box inviting you to export one or more items in the portfolio to TM-Town. Some members expressed an interest in having a way to remove that box from their profile. That option has now been provided; you can now opt to permanently remove that TM-Town export option from your profile. (And if you ever want it back, just submit a support ticket.)

Henry

Thanks Henry but on my profile, in "Owner" view. all the sample translations in my portfolio have vanished, the little +/- box is dead, and the option to "hide this" (TM Town) is greyed out and doesn't do anything

[Edited at 2016-02-02 15:25 GMT]

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Almost the same issue for me! Feb 2, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Hi all,

Henry

Thanks Henry but on my profile, in "Owner" view. all the sample translations in my portfolio have vanished, the little +/- box is dead, and the option to "hide this" (TM Town) is greyed out and doesn't do anything

[Edited at 2016-02-02 15:25 GMT]

I still haven't hidden the TM-Town option, but I can't view the samples I put in my portfolio in my owner view (if you click on "More", it shows nothing!). In the visitor view I can see them, though. Please solve this!

[Edited at 2016-02-02 16:19 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What could you tell me about TM-Town?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »