Import Word comments to memoQ comments?
Thread poster: Profdoc
Profdoc
Profdoc
Local time: 06:00
Swedish to English
Mar 5, 2012

My guess is that this can't be done, but I'll ask anyway:

Is it possible to import comments from a Word 2010 docx file to to the corresponding segment comment in memoQ (the speech baloon to the right of the target language)? I don't want to translate the docx comments but it would be great to be able to view them in memoQ when I'm translating the commented sentence.

Thanks!

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 21:00
English to Chinese
does not seem likely, but there is a workaround Mar 5, 2012

Hi!

If you want to make these Word-based comments visible in MemoQ, you can use Add document as, select Import as docx, and check the "import comments" in the mid-section on this importing preference page. Then when you open the file in MemoQ for translation, you will see that any text that has a comment will have a preceding tag and a subsequent tag called "cmt", and the segment that follows will be the comment itself. Unfortunately the comment now becomes part of the "translatab
... See more
Hi!

If you want to make these Word-based comments visible in MemoQ, you can use Add document as, select Import as docx, and check the "import comments" in the mid-section on this importing preference page. Then when you open the file in MemoQ for translation, you will see that any text that has a comment will have a preceding tag and a subsequent tag called "cmt", and the segment that follows will be the comment itself. Unfortunately the comment now becomes part of the "translatable text", but you can use Crtl+Shift+S to copy the source to target and keep it as is.

I don't think you will be able to convert these comments in Word to MemoQ comments, but I would be happy to stand corrected.

HTH,

Chun-yi

[Edited at 2012-03-05 19:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-05 19:16 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:00
Finnish to French
You are correct Mar 5, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
I don't think you will be able to convert these comments in Word to MemoQ comments, but I would be happy to stand corrected.

I believe you are correct: there is no mechanism in the current DOCX filter that would extract Word comments and put them in memoQ balloons.
As a workaround, you can output the comments in Word to a PDF file, and keep that file open next to the memoQ window.

Lea Rennert
Lea Rennert
United States
Local time: 00:00
English to German
+ ...
In MemoQ 2015, you can import Word comments as MemoQ comments Sep 27, 2016

For anyone reading this thread now: I don't know about earlier versions, but in MemoQ 2015 it is possible to import Word comments as either translatable text or as MemoQ comments. Details here: http://kilgray.com/memoq/2015-100/help-en/index.html?microsoft_office_word_2007_doc.html

[Edited at 2016-09-27 15:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-09-27
... See more
For anyone reading this thread now: I don't know about earlier versions, but in MemoQ 2015 it is possible to import Word comments as either translatable text or as MemoQ comments. Details here: http://kilgray.com/memoq/2015-100/help-en/index.html?microsoft_office_word_2007_doc.html

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import Word comments to memoQ comments?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »