"assigning files in memoQ" - what is that?
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:29
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 17, 2014

What does "assigning files in memoQ" refer to?

A project manager is right now insisting that she "has assigned files" to me "in memoQ" and seems to expect the files in question to appear by themselves in my installation in memoQ. I'm not sure what she means. I cannot see any of the files in memoQ - they are not appearing e.g. on the Dashboard, under Manage projects and I cannot see them anywhere else either.

If she is referring to an online project, I would need to do t
... See more
What does "assigning files in memoQ" refer to?

A project manager is right now insisting that she "has assigned files" to me "in memoQ" and seems to expect the files in question to appear by themselves in my installation in memoQ. I'm not sure what she means. I cannot see any of the files in memoQ - they are not appearing e.g. on the Dashboard, under Manage projects and I cannot see them anywhere else either.

If she is referring to an online project, I would need to do the "Check out an online project" procedure - but for that I would need to know a Server URL and probably also some login details (none of which she has provided).

Any ideas what she may be referring to?
Collapse

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:29
German to English
+ ...
Have you checked your emails? Apr 17, 2014

When you are assigned an online memoQ project, the client's server/system should generate an email to you with the details, including the log-in information. And yes, it is the "check out online project" option.

At least that is how it worked for me, but this was quite a long time ago, so I'm no longer 100% sure about the details of how it was initially set up. When the client sends me online projects now, the log-in is automatic after having entered the required info the first tim
... See more
When you are assigned an online memoQ project, the client's server/system should generate an email to you with the details, including the log-in information. And yes, it is the "check out online project" option.

At least that is how it worked for me, but this was quite a long time ago, so I'm no longer 100% sure about the details of how it was initially set up. When the client sends me online projects now, the log-in is automatic after having entered the required info the first time.

If you didn't get the email with the log-in information, you have to ask the PM to re-send it.

Hope this is of some use, even if a bit vague. Good luck.
Collapse

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:29
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, it was an online project Apr 17, 2014

Yes, thanks, it turned out to be an online project and she was confused or so or perhaps not used to their own system. She has now provided me with the necessary details to check out the project. But, no, I didn't receive any email from their memoQ server.

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:29
English to Russian
+ ...
PM should provide server and login details Apr 17, 2014

As simple as that. Your PM may be new to MemoQ, or maybe she thought she had emailed those details to you but never actually did.

P.S. Yes, she also had to assign you the files for you to see them. But that's the next step. First you have to check out her online project, and you do need to know their server URL and your personal username and password.

[Edited at 2014-04-17 20:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"assigning files in memoQ" - what is that?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »