Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 09:25
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 28, 2014

Dear colleagues,

I need advice regarding the workflow between MemoQ 2013 R2 and Déjà Vu X3 Workgroup.

Here is the situation: My client uses the server version of MemoQ 2013 R2. Ideally, they would like me to also use MemoQ, for the following reasons:
- The client could easily assign specific segments of the project to me (there will be one big file with about 50,000 words, divided up among several translators all working simultaneously on different sections)
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I need advice regarding the workflow between MemoQ 2013 R2 and Déjà Vu X3 Workgroup.

Here is the situation: My client uses the server version of MemoQ 2013 R2. Ideally, they would like me to also use MemoQ, for the following reasons:
- The client could easily assign specific segments of the project to me (there will be one big file with about 50,000 words, divided up among several translators all working simultaneously on different sections)
- I would have access to the TMs and termbases on the server
- I could synchronise my project with the server in regular intervals so that I am up to date with the colleagues' translations, and vice-versa.

I don't mind using MemoQ (after all, it's my second preferred CAT tool after Déjà Vu). But I would still prefer to use Déjà Vu X3 for this project, for a number of reasons - if it is not too complicated. Can you recommend me a good workflow how this could be achieved without compromising the client's objectives?

In terms of a possible work-around, I was thinking that the client could create an RTF table from MemoQ containing ONLY the segments that I have to translate, so that I can then process this table with Déjà Vu and send it back to them so that they reimport it and synchronise it with their server.

Alternatively, I could do this RTF table export/import operation in MemoQ myself. (I do have a MemoQ Pro licence). However, according to the client it is technically impossible to export/import only parts of a file from a MemoQ project as an RTF table. Is this true?

The other issue to deal with is exchanging my databases with the client and the other team members. However, the good thing is that they are all located in Europe so that there will be little overlap in terms of time ones. Therefore, I can probably just send my TM export (in TMX format) to the client at the end of my day and then they import it into the MemoQ project the next morning and synchronise it.

So my main problem is: How can the client send me only a portion of the project in RTF table format?

Many thanks in advance for your help! (I hope everything makes sense... I am a bit in a haste).

Kind regards,

Olaf

[Edited at 2014-07-28 19:30 GMT]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:25
German to Spanish
I have no answer Jul 28, 2014

But think. If a client use a server system is not for fun. He wants to reduce costs and possible sources of error by the automation of certain processes. Exceptions are possible causes of failure and... Who is supposed to work (time, money) to accommodate your translations to the system?

Imaging a client with 5 languages and 20 translators in a MemoQ server and everybody wants to use his own CAT...

...Just thinking loud...
See more
But think. If a client use a server system is not for fun. He wants to reduce costs and possible sources of error by the automation of certain processes. Exceptions are possible causes of failure and... Who is supposed to work (time, money) to accommodate your translations to the system?

Imaging a client with 5 languages and 20 translators in a MemoQ server and everybody wants to use his own CAT...

...Just thinking loud

Regards
Collapse

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know... Jul 28, 2014

But I hope I can find a solution that won't be too complicated for the client...

I just looked at the options for exporting an RTF table in MemoQ 2013. Could the client not (1) create a view of the text, (2) lock all the segments in that view that I don't need to translate and (3) export that view with the option "Export only rows that are not locked"?

[Edited at 2014-07-28 19:53 GMT]

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Why trouble the client? Jul 28, 2014

Olaf Reibedanz wrote:

But I hope I can find a solution that won't be too complicated for the client...

Why don't you test all these solutions at your end, since you have memoQ anyway?

And if nothing works, you'll always have the option of completing the job in memoQ.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
This is not the question Jul 28, 2014

Olaf Reibedanz wrote:

[Edited at 2014-07-28 19:53 GMT]

It is all about time and resources. Someone has to do it = money

Anyway, in a memoq server, the PM run a QA after delivering the job...

Regards

[Edited at 2014-07-28 20:17 GMT]

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hmmm... Jul 28, 2014

The only thing I can think of is observing DVX and MQ simultaneously and exchanging xliffs from time to time, maybe create a macro to automate that.
Having said that, I (maybe in vain) hope that server standards will be open in the future. After all, xliff and tmx also are a part of our lives in the meantime.

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody! Aug 5, 2014

I have finally decided to do all the work in MemoQ because the client wants me to synchronise the project every 1-2 hours.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workflow MemoQ 2013 R2 / Déjà Vu X3

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »