Thread poster: Susan Li
Susan Li
Susan Li
United States
Local time: 01:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 2, 2014

I just registered to Proz over one week ago. I am considering to sign in 90-day free trial. If it's good, I may purchase licence. Now I have a question about the licence. Is the licence lifelong (means it won't expire) or you need to pay for upgrading afterwards? I read the introduction of MemoQ: one year upgrade support. What does that mean? Is that mean: after one year, we have to pay myself for upgrading?

Thanks
Sunny

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
License is life-long, support is renewable Sep 2, 2014

The license per se is for life. You can use your memoQ setup forever. Along with the license you get one year of free upgrades to memoQ as well as support. After the first year, in order to get support and upgrades you need to purchase a year of maintenance, which costs 20% of the list price of memoQ (not necessarily the same price you paid, which could perhaps be lower than the list price).

When short of budget, you may be tempted not to renew the maintenance agreement, but
... See more
The license per se is for life. You can use your memoQ setup forever. Along with the license you get one year of free upgrades to memoQ as well as support. After the first year, in order to get support and upgrades you need to purchase a year of maintenance, which costs 20% of the list price of memoQ (not necessarily the same price you paid, which could perhaps be lower than the list price).

When short of budget, you may be tempted not to renew the maintenance agreement, but this will force you to keep your memoQ in the latest version you have upgraded to within the period of a maintenance agreement. In due time, given the rapid development of memoQ, you will probably want to upgrade again, but in that case you have to pay the maintenance fees for the period from the version you stopped until the current version, so you do not really save anything. In my opinion, it is best to keep purchasing the maintenance fee.

It all is explained here: http://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00285/0/About-the-support-maintenance-contract.html
Collapse

preynolds
preynolds
memoQ license Sep 2, 2014

Hi Sunny,

If you buy memoQ you have a license for ever.

Kilgray releases new versions of memoQ software very regularly. If Kilgray release a new version in the year after you purchase you are entitled to upgrade to that version. You are also entitled to use Kilgray's support. After that first year you can still upgrade and use support but you have to pay for it.

I hope this explains the issue.

Thanks,

Peter.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
A recent thread and a range of opinions Sep 2, 2014

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/270872-quirks_in_memoq_upgrade_policy.html

You can use your current version forever, but you will be able to upgrade for one year only from purchase date if you don't subscribe to a yearly support plan.

Philippe

Susan Li
Susan Li
United States
Local time: 01:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all replies Sep 2, 2014

Thanks a lot for all of your replies.

In case no new version is not released after I purchase licence, do I still need to purchase maintenance and support fee at that year? or I have to pay every year for supporting no matter what.

I haven't decided which one I will choose: MemoQ or Wordfast? I know WordFast licence lasts three years, how about their maintenance and supporting service?

Thanks again
Sunny

Mónica Belén Colacilli
Mónica Belén Colacilli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:53
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My experience with MemoQ Sep 2, 2014

Hi Sunny Li,

I own both, MemoQ and Wordfast Pro, and I didn't have a good experience with MemoQ. I purchased version 6.0 some years ago. I used it only a few times because most of my clients use other CAT tools. After more than a year, I tried to upgrade, but my licence was due more than one year earlier, so I had to pay the full licence again (that's what a sales representative told me). Perhaps it depends on the amount of usage...

Good luck!

Monica

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:53
Finnish to French
Full license price vs. cumulative maintenance fees Sep 3, 2014

Mónica Belén Colacilli wrote:
I purchased version 6.0 some years ago. After more than a year, I tried to upgrade, but my licence was due more than one year earlier, so I had to pay the full licence again (that's what a sales representative told me). Perhaps it depends on the amount of usage...

You don't have to buy a brand new license, but you will have to pay for all annual maintenance fees (the maintenance fee for a memoQ translator pro license is 124 euros per year) accrued starting one year after you purchased your license.

Let's say you purchased your memoQ 6.0 license in June 2010 (it's just an example, I no longer remember when that version was actually released). You were covered for the first year, ie. until June 2011. In June 2011, you should have paid 124 euros for maintenance until June 2012. Same in June 2012 for maintenance until June 2013. Same in June 2013 for maintenance until June 2014. Same in June 2014 for maintenance until June 2015. Let's say that now (in September 2014) you want to upgrade your copy of memoQ to the current version (2014): you would have to pay 124 x 4 = 496 euros (= cumulative maintenance fees you would have had to pay in June 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014). It's not the "full license" price (which would be 620 euros), but it's more than the typical promotional price available every now and then (40% discount, ie. 372 euros). So in practice, if you wait for more than four years (three years of paid maintenance, since the first year is included) and you want to upgrade to the current version, it makes sense to look for a promotional offer and buy a brand new license: it will be cheaper than paying the cumulative maintenance fees.

OTOH, the annual maintenance fee is reasonable IMO (it's easy to budget 124 euros every year) and it's much lower than what SDL (for instance charges), which is more than 200 euros for a Trados Studio Freelance Plus license. And Kilgray releases at least one major version (sometimes two, eg. memoQ 2013 and memoQ 2013 R2) every year, while SDL only releases major versions every 2-3 years (2009, 2011, 2014), so you get more for your money in terms of new features.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:53
German to English
+ ...
What about a new computer? Sep 3, 2014

Is the licence tied to the hardware on which the software runs?
If yes, you would presumably need to inform the supplier (Kilgray etc.) of the required details when the software is installed on a new computer, and then I imagine you may need to pay for missing years of support.
With Wordfast Classic (WFC) (running in Word) you can run it indefinitely on the same hardware-software configuration - up to WFC versions 5.xx. If you change hardware (computer, hard disk) or perhaps some of
... See more
If yes, you would presumably need to inform the supplier (Kilgray etc.) of the required details when the software is installed on a new computer, and then I imagine you may need to pay for missing years of support.
With Wordfast Classic (WFC) (running in Word) you can run it indefinitely on the same hardware-software configuration - up to WFC versions 5.xx. If you change hardware (computer, hard disk) or perhaps some of the software (version of Word, perhaps), or you're using versions 6.xx, it will revert to demo mode (limited TM size) after the 3 years are up unless you renew the licence.
Oliver
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Not tied to hardware Sep 3, 2014

Oliver Walter wrote:

No.

Georgios Tziakos
Georgios Tziakos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
Constant Update Syndrome Dec 14, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

...Kilgray releases at least one major version (sometimes two, eg. memoQ 2013 and memoQ 2013 R2) every year, while SDL only releases major versions every 2-3 years (2009, 2011, 2014), so you get more for your money in terms of new features.

For me, as a power user since the 90's who can tell when supports are really needed and useful, "getting more for my money" means nothing. I don't *want* updates every year (or even more often than that, gods forbid) because most upgrades break things or make them less useful. Since the late 00's, it has been like this for most software and OS (*cough*Windows8-10*). Apps updating every couple of days? What a joke.

The CUS ("Constant Update Syndrome") is a phenomenon created artificially in an era where quantity (of content, updates, stuff in general) seems to matter more than quality and stability. The reason is of course simple: more upgrades -> more money asked. I am not saying their IT/Dev departments are not working on stuff. I am just saying that they don't NEED to work so much on new stuff. We all see all the constant "improvements" on UIs that are just copying other products' (first it was MS Office, now it's the Google Docs aesthetic) etc.

I'd LOVE it if I could have a major version every 3 years (and just some small patches to fix bugs in between). Updating for its own sake is completely unreasonable. Even the addition of new main features doesn't really need a full redesign of so much code and UI elements. I don't want to get "more for my money", I want to get the most I can for as little money as possible, without unnecessary content being shoved down my throat, just because that's the zeitgeist. "Getting more for your money" is usually nothing but an elementary marketing trick to get us to pay more on unnecessary products and services.

[Edited at 2015-12-14 11:16 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
memoQ's updates are always useful Dec 14, 2015

Georgios T. wrote:
For me, as a power user since the 90's who can tell when supports are really needed and useful, "getting more for my money" means nothing. I don't *want* updates every year (or even more often than that, gods forbid) because most upgrades break things or make them less useful. Since the late 00's, it has been like this for most software and OS (*cough*Windows8-10*). Apps updating every couple of days? What a joke.

I can vouch for memoQ and Kilgray in this sense: since I started using memoQ (and I mean a memoQ Server, so "the works", really) back in 2009, memoQ's updates have all been very positive and harmless. We are never afraid of updating (minor updates happen every couple of months; major updates approximately once a year), as we have never lost anything and features added or changed improved our work. We decide when to update, and usually do over weekends or evenings.

I do remember that we had minor glitches a couple of times over these years, but Kilgray always reacted really quickly and solved the problem. In 99% of the updates, the process and its results work perfectly fine. I think Kilgray take updates very seriously and only publish them after thorough testing. At least that is my impression!

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 14:53
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Change PC and license expire? Feb 29, 2016

I purchased MemoQ 2013 R2 and this supposed to have 2 PC license.
Now I can not use it on another PC - is something wrong here?

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Mónica Belén Colacilli wrote:
I purchased version 6.0 some years ago. After more than a year, I tried to upgrade, but my licence was due more than one year earlier, so I had to pay the full licence again (that's what a sales representative told me). Perhaps it depends on the amount of usage...

You don't have to buy a brand new license, but you will have to pay for all annual maintenance fees (the maintenance fee for a memoQ translator pro license is 124 euros per year) accrued starting one year after you purchased your license.

Let's say you purchased your memoQ 6.0 license in June 2010 (it's just an example, I no longer remember when that version was actually released). You were covered for the first year, ie. until June 2011. In June 2011, you should have paid 124 euros for maintenance until June 2012. Same in June 2012 for maintenance until June 2013. Same in June 2013 for maintenance until June 2014. Same in June 2014 for maintenance until June 2015. Let's say that now (in September 2014) you want to upgrade your copy of memoQ to the current version (2014): you would have to pay 124 x 4 = 496 euros (= cumulative maintenance fees you would have had to pay in June 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014). It's not the "full license" price (which would be 620 euros), but it's more than the typical promotional price available every now and then (40% discount, ie. 372 euros). So in practice, if you wait for more than four years (three years of paid maintenance, since the first year is included) and you want to upgrade to the current version, it makes sense to look for a promotional offer and buy a brand new license: it will be cheaper than paying the cumulative maintenance fees.

OTOH, the annual maintenance fee is reasonable IMO (it's easy to budget 124 euros every year) and it's much lower than what SDL (for instance charges), which is more than 200 euros for a Trados Studio Freelance Plus license. And Kilgray releases at least one major version (sometimes two, eg. memoQ 2013 and memoQ 2013 R2) every year, while SDL only releases major versions every 2-3 years (2009, 2011, 2014), so you get more for your money in terms of new features.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Why don't you ask your seller or support Feb 29, 2016

I think they are most qualified to address such issues

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Licenses ending with "001" and "002" Feb 29, 2016

Chie. I wrote:

I purchased MemoQ 2013 R2 and this supposed to have 2 PC license.
Now I can not use it on another PC - is something wrong here?

Hi Chie. As far as I remember, you can install and use MemoQ pro on 2 different computers at the same time using the "same" license, but one ends with "001", while the other with "002".

Tomás Cano Binder, CT

I can vouch for memoQ and Kilgray in this sense: since I started using memoQ (and I mean a memoQ Server, so "the works", really) back in 2009, memoQ's updates have all been very positive and harmless. We are never afraid of updating (minor updates happen every couple of months; major updates approximately once a year), as we have never lost anything and features added or changed improved our work. We decide when to update, and usually do over weekends or evenings.

On the other hand, some of the agencies I work with wait several months before upgrading their versions of MQ server (one of them still hasn't upgraded to MQ 2015...), and they do that precisely in order to avoid issues. I tend to agree with Georgios about the "Constant Update Syndrome", and actually, in my experience, every single MQ release has been followed by an endless number of updates in the following months, which basically means they released a software which wasn't working properly in some respect or the other upon release and had to keep patching it continuously. The paradox is that they keep developing and releasing "new" versions of that software while still patching the "old" version. That's frankly absurd... It seems the good practice of releasing stable, final and thoroughly tested software went down the drain at some point in the past and that now users are naturally expected to pay in order to be beta testers as well...

And by the way, I also remember more than one occasion when the MQ version I was using started "acting up" while working on a project (problems with tags, or with memories that became "too big", or with licensing, or with images not being imported, etc.), so alternative solutions had to be found (like reimporting the documents, splitting and rebuilding memories, switching licenses, etc.) while Kilgray worked on one of their (endless) patches...

Georgios T.

I'd LOVE it if I could have a major version every 3 years (and just some small patches to fix bugs in between). Updating for its own sake is completely unreasonable. Even the addition of new main features doesn't really need a full redesign of so much code and UI elements. I don't want to get "more for my money", I want to get the most I can for as little money as possible, without unnecessary content being shoved down my throat, just because that's the zeitgeist. "Getting more for your money" is usually nothing but an elementary marketing trick to get us to pay more on unnecessary products and services.

Indeed (and possibly without having to pay a "lifelong subscription").

Georgios Tziakos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the MemoQ licence lifelong?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »