Is it possible to translate only segments of a specific colour?
Thread poster: Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Sep 22, 2014

Hi,

I have a MS Word file that contains many tables and only the text in blue from the tables needs to be translated. Is there a way that I can set up a project so that only the blue phrases are extracted for translation?

Regards,
Daniel

[Edited at 2014-09-22 18:33 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would hide everything but the blu Sep 22, 2014

You probably know that you can use Find/Replace in Word to apply formatting. In this case, I would hide the whole of the text (enable de Hide checkbox in character formatting) and then would look for blue text and replace it with a formatting such that the Hide checkbox is unhidden.

I would also unhide the paragraph marks, just to make sure you do not end up with a big blue clump of text.

If any of the ab
... See more
You probably know that you can use Find/Replace in Word to apply formatting. In this case, I would hide the whole of the text (enable de Hide checkbox in character formatting) and then would look for blue text and replace it with a formatting such that the Hide checkbox is unhidden.

I would also unhide the paragraph marks, just to make sure you do not end up with a big blue clump of text.

If any of the above is unclear, do let us know and will try to be more specific.
Collapse

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No memoQ filter? Sep 22, 2014

So memoQ doesn´t have such a filter for just extracting text of a certain colour?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@D.D.G.: Sep 22, 2014

D.D.G. wrote:

So memoQ doesn´t have such a filter for just extracting text of a certain colour?

Nope, as far as I know, no CAT tool has this feature yet.

The easiest way to do this is currently TransTools:

http://www.translatortools.net/word-hideunhide.html

Michael

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great tool! Sep 22, 2014

Thanks Michael for the convenient tool, and Tomás for the idea.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to translate only segments of a specific colour?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »