Very irritating Automatic Translation suggestions replacing validated TM translations
Thread poster: Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:09
English to French
+ ...
Oct 20, 2014

Hi There,

I have been using MemoQ 2014 for approx. 5 months now and I have managed going around some hindrances but the one I cannot seem to do anything about -and is VERY irritating- is the following:
After pre-translating a file and opening it, when I click in the string to amend/validate the translation, the very-close validated TM translation is suddenly and automatically replaced by an "external" translation (MT? Autotranslate?) which is much further from my TM translatio
... See more
Hi There,

I have been using MemoQ 2014 for approx. 5 months now and I have managed going around some hindrances but the one I cannot seem to do anything about -and is VERY irritating- is the following:
After pre-translating a file and opening it, when I click in the string to amend/validate the translation, the very-close validated TM translation is suddenly and automatically replaced by an "external" translation (MT? Autotranslate?) which is much further from my TM translation. SO I have to either do Ctrl+Z to revert to the initial correctly suggested translation or manually retype it!
I have unselected MT function (well, I think anyway!) and looked into Autotranslate function but I can't find the solution.

And something else - despite using the Pretranslate function, quite often, the string remains empty (no translation suggested) but a very close translation briefly displays in the right hand-pane before disappearing and being replaced by these automatic translations which are a mile away from my TM again. I have fiddled with the Matching percentage (lowered it) but it doesn't do anything.

I translate very repetitive short files in a technical field 3 times/month, the same phrases come up all the time, my TM is nicely populated (imported previous SDL TM + constantly adding new strings for the last 5 months) but still I haven't gained the time I thought I would with MemoQ because of these "flickering unrelated translation strings". I switched from SDL Trados, based upon colleagues' recommendations about MemoQ's superior intuitive TM functions but I am VERY disappointed about this.

I have sent a couple of emails to MemoQ Support about this - which have remained unanswered despited benefiting from a number of free hours of support as part of the package I bought.

So any help would be much welcome because I am stuck here.

Many thanks in advance & Kind regards,
Claire
Collapse

Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Local time: 11:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same for me Oct 20, 2014

I get crazy with this as well. MQ should make these functions easier

Thanks

JC

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:09
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here! Oct 20, 2014

I haven"t been able to solve this issue either.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:09
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Settings Oct 20, 2014

If the lookup results are "flickering" it's probably because of the order in which they are displayed, which can be set at Tools > Options >Appearance >Lookup Results.

For instance, if you have Machine Translation high on the list, which is always slower since it has to query remote resources, results from local resources will appear momentarily then be pushed down the results list as the remote resources come in. Other local resources that require more processing can also take a l
... See more
If the lookup results are "flickering" it's probably because of the order in which they are displayed, which can be set at Tools > Options >Appearance >Lookup Results.

For instance, if you have Machine Translation high on the list, which is always slower since it has to query remote resources, results from local resources will appear momentarily then be pushed down the results list as the remote resources come in. Other local resources that require more processing can also take a little longer to display and can result in this behaviour.

To turn off MT, go to Tools > Options > Machine Translation and uncheck Offer Machine Translated results.... and also make sure all the Machine Translation plugins are unchecked.
Collapse

Gábor Ugray
Gábor Ugray
Germany
Local time: 11:09
English
Happy to help Oct 21, 2014

Hi Claire, Juancar, Clarisa,

It's hard to tell exactly what kind of results come in at the last moment, overwriting the matches from your TM. I suspect it could be something from a translation memory plugin, which you can configure under Tools / Options / TM plugins.

The best would be if you can send me a few screenshots of this happening, or better still, a screen recording, e.g., with Jing (a free tool). Just drop a ma
... See more

It's hard to tell exactly what kind of results come in at the last moment, overwriting the matches from your TM. I suspect it could be something from a translation memory plugin, which you can configure under Tools / Options / TM plugins.

The best would be if you can send me a few screenshots of this happening, or better still, a screen recording, e.g., with Jing (a free tool). Just drop a mail to [email protected] and add "Attn Gábor", I'll be happy to respond directly.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:09
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Query already sent BUT I believe I've JUST SOLVED Oct 25, 2014

Gábor Ugray wrote:

The best would be if you can send me a few screenshots of this happening, or better still, a screen recording, e.g., with Jing (a free tool). Just drop a mail to [email protected] and add "Attn Gábor", I'll be happy to respond directly.

Dear Gábor,

Thanks for your reply. I believe, nevertheless, that I have solved the issue (reading the memoQ help) as follows:

• Translation menu > Automatic lookup and insertion

• I DISABLED·
  • Automatically insert best result after confirming segments

• Quote from the memoQ help:
    Automatically insert best result after confirming segments: when disabled, memoQ does not insert the best hit automatically (and therefore, all the check boxes below are disabled). When this option is enabled, memoQ inserts the best hit automatically. In the following steps you can define what it should consider as a 'best hit'.

Regards

Clarisa

[Edited at 2014-10-25 20:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very irritating Automatic Translation suggestions replacing validated TM translations

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »