Does exported alignment replace previous TM translation?
Thread poster: Melissa McMahon
Melissa McMahon
Melissa McMahon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:49
French to English
Oct 21, 2014

Hello all,

I am using MemoQ 6.2. When I finish a translation, I export it and inevitably some further polishing goes on outside MemoQ and thus the "real" final translation is not in my TM.

I thought I could get the final version into my MemoQ TM by aligning the source document and final translation in LiveDocs, confirming the alignments and exporting it to my TM. I assumed this later export would take precedence over earlier translations in my TM.

This does
... See more
Hello all,

I am using MemoQ 6.2. When I finish a translation, I export it and inevitably some further polishing goes on outside MemoQ and thus the "real" final translation is not in my TM.

I thought I could get the final version into my MemoQ TM by aligning the source document and final translation in LiveDocs, confirming the alignments and exporting it to my TM. I assumed this later export would take precedence over earlier translations in my TM.

This doesn't seem to work though: I am still being offered my earlier translations for the same segments when I translate new versions of the same document. It doesn't use the confirmed alignments.

Am I taking the wrong approach to integrating my final versions into my TM?

Any help much appreciated, I have wasted a lot of time because of this problem, not realising the TM wasn't using my aligned documents.

Melissa
Collapse

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
Local time: 16:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
monolingual review tool Oct 25, 2014

Hi Melissa,

Since version 2013 R2, there is a monolingual review tool in memoQ. This does exactly what you would like to do. This is not available in 6.2. It works reliably with simpler documents, will have to be improved for very complex documents.

Best regards,
István

harbasz
harbasz
Luxembourg
Local time: 16:49
English to Polish
+ ...
Penalty for alignment? Oct 25, 2014

Melissa McMahon wrote:

Am I taking the wrong approach to integrating my final versions into my TM?

Melissa

As far as I know, there's a penalty attached to aligned pairs (by default, auto-link gets a 5% penalty). That's why you may not be getting newer hits from your TM. Maybe you could try to change that setting and see if it works then?

BR,
Greg

Melissa McMahon
Melissa McMahon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:49
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, plus another lead Oct 28, 2014

Thanks Grzegorz and István for your replies and apologies for my delayed response.

I think I've worked something out, which perhaps was obvious. Even though the document pretranslate was using my old draft translation, the alternative translation from the exported alignment was appearing in the right-hand column.

When I right clicked on that to get Options, the "TM and Corpus match overwrites target" box was checked. I unchecked that box, cleared the existing translat
... See more
Thanks Grzegorz and István for your replies and apologies for my delayed response.

I think I've worked something out, which perhaps was obvious. Even though the document pretranslate was using my old draft translation, the alternative translation from the exported alignment was appearing in the right-hand column.

When I right clicked on that to get Options, the "TM and Corpus match overwrites target" box was checked. I unchecked that box, cleared the existing translations from my box, did the pre-translate again and it seems to have preferred the exported aligned versions. So it was effectively as you said, István, the exported alignments were being 'penalised' and it was a matter of fixing that.

Grzegorz, I am interested in this feature in the later MemoQ versions and I'll look into that and maybe update/upgrade.

Thanks again to both of you.

Melissa
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does exported alignment replace previous TM translation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »