Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:44
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 23, 2014

Dear friends,

I have adoubt with MemoQ. I imported dozens of files into my Corpora, aligned them all and exported them all to the TM. these files represent a pretty big volume, so I want to erase them from the Corpora. Since the useful alignment pairs are already exported to the TM and available for reference, I suppose I no longer need the entire files in the Corpus.

Is that correct? Can I erase the Corpus files? Will there be any consequences or will it anyhow affect
... See more
Dear friends,

I have adoubt with MemoQ. I imported dozens of files into my Corpora, aligned them all and exported them all to the TM. these files represent a pretty big volume, so I want to erase them from the Corpora. Since the useful alignment pairs are already exported to the TM and available for reference, I suppose I no longer need the entire files in the Corpus.

Is that correct? Can I erase the Corpus files? Will there be any consequences or will it anyhow affect my TM?

TIA for any help.
Collapse

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:44
Italian to English
+ ...
make use of the advantages of a corpus Oct 23, 2014

I used to do what you are doing, until I realised that a corpus has two huge advantages over a TM, one of which is context, as you can go straight from a corpus hit into the document it originates from, so no more decontextualised hits.
The second huge advantage is that I used to spend a lot more time over aligning so that it would be just right in the TM. I hardly bother any more, as if there is a misalignment, I can put it right in a matter of seconds in a corpus, or in a matter of hours
... See more
I used to do what you are doing, until I realised that a corpus has two huge advantages over a TM, one of which is context, as you can go straight from a corpus hit into the document it originates from, so no more decontextualised hits.
The second huge advantage is that I used to spend a lot more time over aligning so that it would be just right in the TM. I hardly bother any more, as if there is a misalignment, I can put it right in a matter of seconds in a corpus, or in a matter of hours in a TM.
So now I export whatever I can from a project to a corpus, rather than the other way round
HTH
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:44
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tips, Anthony Oct 23, 2014

Anthony Green wrote:

The second huge advantage is that I used to spend a lot more time over aligning so that it would be just right in the TM. I hardly bother any more, as if there is a misalignment, I can put it right in a matter of seconds in a corpus, or in a matter of hours in a TM.
So now I export whatever I can from a project to a corpus, rather than the other way round
HTH

However, if I had the trouble to fix all the alignment links and exported them to the TM, I don't see why keeping two filed with the same contents, plus the useless and repeated alingments I disconnected on purpose not to send to the TM. I'm thinking about the size of my MemoQ folder.

Regarding the context, when you use Ctrl+K, MemoQ displays the entire segment, so I guess it sorts that out.

And by the way, I haven't done it, yet. I wanted to hear some professional opinions, like yours, before deleting any corpus files.

What do you think?

[Edited at 2014-10-23 22:07 GMT]

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:44
Italian to English
+ ...
next time don't do all that work Oct 24, 2014

I would think that if you have a reasonably modern computer that folder size is not really much of an issue.
Next time if I were you I would just align and then leave everything in the corpus during the project, and then re-export from the project TM either to another corpus or to the same one, depending on what proportion of the corpus you have used in the translation.
It would be nce to get someone else's viewpoint. Do you know the memoQ yahoogroup? It is much more active than this
... See more
I would think that if you have a reasonably modern computer that folder size is not really much of an issue.
Next time if I were you I would just align and then leave everything in the corpus during the project, and then re-export from the project TM either to another corpus or to the same one, depending on what proportion of the corpus you have used in the translation.
It would be nce to get someone else's viewpoint. Do you know the memoQ yahoogroup? It is much more active than this one.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delete Corpus artef "Export to TM"?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »