Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Local time: 10:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2015

Hi,

I've just updated my memoQ version from 2013 R2 to 2014 R2 and it's running incredibly slowly, anyone else experiencing similar problems?

I work with DNS 13 which also uses up plenty of RAM but I had no problems with memoQ 2013.

Anyone else out there with a similar experience and, even better, suggestions to resolve the problem.

TIA

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:08
German to English
Same experience, no solution ... Jan 27, 2015

... unfortunately.
I've especially noticed this using large customer-specific TMs.

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Kevin Jan 28, 2015

Thanks for your comments Kevin, good to know I'm not alone.

I'm finding it rather pathetic, Trados can handle these TMs without slowing down. I prefer MemoQ as it is more intuitive and generally quicker to work with than Trados but if I have to wait because it slows down ("no response" for a 4 or 5 seconds) while it types each and every word then it becomes useless, I'd rather have my money back!

Kilgray are you out there? Can you suggest anything (apart from using smal
... See more
Thanks for your comments Kevin, good to know I'm not alone.

I'm finding it rather pathetic, Trados can handle these TMs without slowing down. I prefer MemoQ as it is more intuitive and generally quicker to work with than Trados but if I have to wait because it slows down ("no response" for a 4 or 5 seconds) while it types each and every word then it becomes useless, I'd rather have my money back!

Kilgray are you out there? Can you suggest anything (apart from using smaller TMs, that would be like saying don't use your years of experience when working, go back to square one) that may help speed things up?

I'm going to use memoQ 2013 for now, because I haven't actually found any advantages in 2014. It just looks different and the locations of buttons, features, etc. need to be relearnt. So it's costing me more time than I'm gaining.

[Edited at 2015-01-28 11:13 GMT]
Collapse

Alma de Kok
Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
Turn off predictive typing and auto-pick Jan 28, 2015

I had the same problem and this worked for me.

[Edited at 2015-01-28 11:02 GMT]

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Alma Jan 28, 2015

Thanks Alma

I'll give it a try, but when I'm not using voice recognition software I would really like predictive typing to be available....

Come on Kilgray, help us out with this one, do we need supercomputers to run memoQ 2014 (in all its glory), DNS and the internet at the same time? I have an Intel Core i7 processor so I shouldn't need to turn off memoQ's features in order for it to run smoothly, or what's the point in paying for the software?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:08
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ seems to be slowing down as it grows yet bigger and bigger… Jan 28, 2015

The new memoQ is indeed as slow as molasses. Although it has a ton of features, it isn't much fun to use these days. Maybe time for yet another "refactoring"?

CafeTran + Dragon 13 run lightning-fast on my computer, and CafeTran has a ton of features.

Tiffany Hardy
Tiffany Hardy  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
I'm having similar problems Jan 28, 2015

Upon upgrading to 2014 I find I'm spending more and more time tapping my fingers than ever. I would love to hear what Kilgray has to say about this.

Denis Hay
Denis Hay
don't store projects folders or resources on network drives Jan 28, 2015

Hi all,

Just a thought, as it's something I've unfortunately seen often: make sure all your projects and TM/TB/other resources are only on *local* drives.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
No LiveDocs, predictive typing, muses, Dragon, etc. Jan 28, 2015

And everything is on a local drive. I run MemoQ using its basic features. I have 16 GB of RAM, so that isn't a problem. Unlike some of the people posting here, my system isn't cripplingly slow, just annoyingly slow.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:08
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Buggy... Jan 28, 2015

I find it rather buggy... cursor seems to jump out of the segments all the time... maybe because I'm going rather fast? It got slow on one or two occasions and I actually had to switch to 2014 to finish the job... next day, slowness was gone...

People in other places say it must be my system, since Kilgray never releases anything "buggy"... maybe, maybe...

I7 processors, 16GB RAM (34 virtual), 120GB SSD,
... See more
I find it rather buggy... cursor seems to jump out of the segments all the time... maybe because I'm going rather fast? It got slow on one or two occasions and I actually had to switch to 2014 to finish the job... next day, slowness was gone...

People in other places say it must be my system, since Kilgray never releases anything "buggy"... maybe, maybe...

I7 processors, 16GB RAM (34 virtual), 120GB SSD, 1T HDD... is this not able to cope with it?
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Resource location Jan 28, 2015

Denis Hay wrote:

Hi all,

Just a thought, as it's something I've unfortunately seen often: make sure all your projects and TM/TB/other resources are only on *local* drives.

This is unfortunately something that is becoming more and more the norm - Kilgray needs to make their product compatible with resources located in cloud locations such as Dropbox, etc., if they are going to stay up to date.

Elena Nevado
Elena Nevado  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Apr 2, 2015

Hi!

Did someone find a solution? I am working on an online project and the typing is extremely slow :S I can't work if I have to wait two seconds for every single letter I write.

I have changed the synchronization to manual and then again to auto save, I have changed the autopick and the predictive typing, I have updated memoq and I don't know what else I can do...

If I use memoq in another computer it works perfectly so I don't know what the problem is.... See more
Hi!

Did someone find a solution? I am working on an online project and the typing is extremely slow :S I can't work if I have to wait two seconds for every single letter I write.

I have changed the synchronization to manual and then again to auto save, I have changed the autopick and the predictive typing, I have updated memoq and I don't know what else I can do...

If I use memoq in another computer it works perfectly so I don't know what the problem is.

Help!
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:08
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Slow movement between segments, overruns Apr 2, 2015

I've been having the same issue. Moving between segments in particular gets painfully slow, and then it suddenly overruns 10 or 20 segments (or more) in one go and ends up far beyond where I want to go in the file.

For some reason, rebooting my computer seems to help, but the slowness slowly begins to re-accumulate.

Paul Smith 1865
Paul Smith 1865
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Same here Apr 10, 2015

This has affected me in the last week or so. I've switched-off as much as possible but it doesn't seem to help. The files I'm working on are not especially large (up to about 10,000 words) and I've been Using MemoQ without this problem since version 5. Mostly it's just an irritant - I have to click in each segment twice and wait a few seconds before using the scroll wheel.

ulrika månsson (X)
ulrika månsson (X)
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
anyone downgraded? Apr 13, 2015

Hi,
just out of curiosity - did anyone try to downgrade, back to 2013 och 2013 R2?
And if yes - did it help?
kind regards,
Ulrika Månsson

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 2014 R2 very, very slow!?!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »