Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
Argentina
Local time: 22:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2015

Hi,

I have translated 5 Excel spreadsheets but there is 1 which I cannot export. I receive the following error message:

TYPE:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

SOURCE:
Excel9.Interop

CALL STACK:
at Excel9.Interop.Workbooks.Open(String Filename, Object UpdateLinks, Object ReadOnly, Object Format, Object Password, Object WriteResPassword, Object IgnoreRe
... See more
Hi,

I have translated 5 Excel spreadsheets but there is 1 which I cannot export. I receive the following error message:

TYPE:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

SOURCE:
Excel9.Interop

CALL STACK:
at Excel9.Interop.Workbooks.Open(String Filename, Object UpdateLinks, Object ReadOnly, Object Format, Object Password, Object WriteResPassword, Object IgnoreReadOnlyRecommended, Object Origin, Object Delimiter, Object Editable, Object Notify, Object Converter, Object AddToMru)
at MemoQ.DocConverters.MSExcel.MSExcelConverter.ExportDocument(ExSegmentCollection segmentedText, ExTranslationStatusCollection status, String targetPath, DocumentExportInfo docExportInfo)
at MemoQ.DocConverterFramework.ExportController.exportCharacterBasedDocument(ICharacterBasedConverter converter)
at MemoQ.DocConverterFramework.ExportWorker.Export()

Any ideas? I've run the QA feature but there are no errors reported. All other files have been successfully exported.

Thank you.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:38
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it the same format as the rest? Jan 27, 2015

Sometimes when I mix XLS and XLSX files in the same project I get funny messages. This is kind of a long shot, but are the files really the same format internally (could be a XLS saved with the extension XLSX or the opposite). If the file that's causing you trouble is a different format, you might want to save it with the XLSX format, Reimport document, and X-Translate to recover your work.

Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same format. Same error. Jan 27, 2015

Thanks for your help, Tomás. Yes, these are all XLS files. I tried what you suggested but still I get the same error. I am at a loss. All other files exported with no problems. I removed the document and imported it again to no avail.

I can successfully export the file in bilingual format. But I just cannot export the clean file.

[Edited at 2015-01-27 20:12 GMT]

Katalin Sandor
Katalin Sandor  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Can you try memoQ 2014 R2? Jan 27, 2015

I have been struggling with Excel files for weeks (months?) in 2013 R2. Sometimes they failed to import, sometimes export failed. I contacted Support about this issue and they said that that the error was caused by issues between memoQ and Office; I should save the file as xlsx in Excel and import this into memoQ as they have a filter for the new file type and did not need to use Excel in the background. It worked at the time.

Since then, however, the problem became much worse. Now
... See more
I have been struggling with Excel files for weeks (months?) in 2013 R2. Sometimes they failed to import, sometimes export failed. I contacted Support about this issue and they said that that the error was caused by issues between memoQ and Office; I should save the file as xlsx in Excel and import this into memoQ as they have a filter for the new file type and did not need to use Excel in the background. It worked at the time.

Since then, however, the problem became much worse. Now it refuses to import or export Excel files on an apparently random basis. Note that I had old, ribbonless Office until a week ago (as I really dislike the ribbon, this is the reason why I still use memoQ 2013). A week ago I spent a whole night trying to get a set of files out of memoQ, and at the umpteenth attempt, out of desperation, I opened 2014 R2 and it exported in a whizz. So it you have this version on your computer or can upgrade to it, try that route. Don't expect me to explain but it worked for me.

Hope this helps, I really feel for you...
Collapse

Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jan 27, 2015

Thanks Katalin,

I don't have access to memoQ 2014 yet. So I tried good old Wordfast. I imported the file in question, pre-translated my file and that's all.

Not the best solution really but still I got all my files exported.

Thank you all for your help!

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
English to Russian
+ ...
Missing tags Jan 28, 2015

Try to import this document to MemoQ again, copy source to target, confirm without update of TM and export after that.
If it will export sucessfully, then the problem is tags missing in the translation.

If it will fail anyway, then make another test.

You should try to copy Excel document to the empty new document (INSERT VALUES) and try the same import-export again. If it will export smoothly, then the problem is with the internal Excel structure, links or macros.

Don Elliott
Don Elliott  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:38
Member (2009)
Japanese to English
Dealing with this error Jun 6, 2015

1. In Excel, save the .xls file as xlsx.
2. In MemoQ, reimport the xlsx file.
3. In MemoQ, export the .xls file as bilingual RTF.
4. In MemoQ, export the .xlsx file as bilingual RTF.
5. Open the two bilingual RTFs.
6. Copy the target data from the .xls RTF to the xlsx RTF.
7. Save the xlsx RTF data.
8. Reimport the bilingual xlsx RTF data.
9. Export the new xlsx RTF data to as you normally would.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error exporting document in memoQ 2013 R2

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »