Peter Sass
Peter Sass
Germany
Local time: 00:47
English to German
+ ...
Jan 29, 2015

Hi all,

Working on a server project, I'm quite new to MemoQ 2014 and actually I'm a bit disappointed as regards the alleged intuitive usage and performance of MemoQ.

Most of all, I simply can't find the button or key combination for deleting all text in a target segment (e. g. when there's a match inserted that I don't want to use).

Also, I'm having trouble confirming segments (both with Ctr+Enter and via the menu button) – whenever I press confirm
... See more
Hi all,

Working on a server project, I'm quite new to MemoQ 2014 and actually I'm a bit disappointed as regards the alleged intuitive usage and performance of MemoQ.

Most of all, I simply can't find the button or key combination for deleting all text in a target segment (e. g. when there's a match inserted that I don't want to use).

Also, I'm having trouble confirming segments (both with Ctr+Enter and via the menu button) – whenever I press confirmation, I get this error message:

Allgemeiner Fehler (General mistake)
TYPE:
System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeLockTimeoutException
SQL Server Compact timed out waiting for a lock. The default lock time is 2000ms for devices and 5000ms for desktops. The default lock timeout can be increased in the connection string using the ssce: default lock timeout property. [ Session id = 2,Thread id = 6396,Process id = 6732,Table name = DocumentHeader,Conflict type = u lock (x blocks),Resource = RID: 1045:0 ]

Hence I always need to confirm 3-5 times with EVERY single segement, which is quite a nuisance.

I am aware that this might be a server problem particularly related to the client agency server, but it also seems to me that unlike in Trados Studio 2011 there is no menu in MemoQ where I can actually check the server connection and connectivity, or is there?

Thanks in advance for any help from you!

[Bearbeitet am 2015-01-30 00:02 GMT]
Collapse

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 01:47
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Support Jan 30, 2015

Hi Peter,

Please get in touch with support via https://support.kilgray.com/

I'm sure they will be able to help you out!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Jan 30, 2015

I think the issues you have with the customer's server could be due to A) server connection problems at the customer (ask them whether their server is up and running) or B) some incompatibility between your memoQ and their server (ask them what exact version of memoQ Server they are running and try use the same version on your end). I regularly use customer memoQ Servers and they work quite alright, although slower than my own Server, of course.

As for the segments.... If the file c
... See more
I think the issues you have with the customer's server could be due to A) server connection problems at the customer (ask them whether their server is up and running) or B) some incompatibility between your memoQ and their server (ask them what exact version of memoQ Server they are running and try use the same version on your end). I regularly use customer memoQ Servers and they work quite alright, although slower than my own Server, of course.

As for the segments.... If the file contains segments you do not want to use, wouldn't it make more sense to clear them all in one go and then let memoQ give you the 100% matches for editing? I regularly clear everything when the pretranslated contents is not in good shape and I generally prefer to make use of the contents of the memory.
Collapse

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
English to Russian
+ ...
Delete one segment Jan 30, 2015

Ctrl+A and then Del
When you are inside the segment

[Редактировалось 2015-01-30 07:49 GMT]

Peter Sass
Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so far - new problem: bilingual export Jan 30, 2015

Given that the server connection still doesn't work, I'm trying to export the file/project now to continue working in Trados Studio.
Unfortunately, the 'export in bilingual file' (in Project home - Translations) doesn't work either ('internal application error'), as it seems to refer to the server file data as well?
It appears that there is no locally saved bilingual file either, at least I can't find any such file in the project folder on my PC.
In Trados Studio, when doing
... See more
Given that the server connection still doesn't work, I'm trying to export the file/project now to continue working in Trados Studio.
Unfortunately, the 'export in bilingual file' (in Project home - Translations) doesn't work either ('internal application error'), as it seems to refer to the server file data as well?
It appears that there is no locally saved bilingual file either, at least I can't find any such file in the project folder on my PC.
In Trados Studio, when doing online projects, you still 'own' your local project and bilingual files.
Could it be that MemoQ, in contrast, keeps you totally dependent on server data when doing online projects???
Collapse

Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 05:47
English to Vietnamese
memoQ online projects Jan 30, 2015

Peter Sass wrote:

In Trados Studio, when doing online projects, you still 'own' your local project and bilingual files.
Could it be that MemoQ, in contrast, keeps you totally dependent on server data when doing online projects???

As you can see from the image above. There are two type of online projects:

1. Server documents - all resources (files for translation, memories etc.) will be kept on the server. There must be an connection all the time with the server.

2. Desktop documents - you would have a local copy of the project with local resources and all files can be synchronized with the server when you open or close the project. This means you can complete the project as you would do with a normal local project.

Hope that you know what to do. I would ask your client for a workaround first.

LD

Peter Sass
Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Dan Jan 30, 2015

Linh Dan wrote:

As you can see from the image above. There are two type of online projects:

1. Server documents - all resources (files for translation, memories etc.) will be kept on the server. There must be an connection all the time with the server.

2. Desktop documents - you would have a local copy of the project with local resources and all files can be synchronized with the server when you open or close the project. This means you can complete the project as you would do with a normal local project.

Hope that you know what to do. I would ask your client for a workaround first.

LD

Thanks a lot Dan, this explains a lot to me and I had suspected such a setting – in my case it must be a server document project without local resources, which is quite unfavourable to translators..

NadjaD

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ puzzle: How to erase target text + Confirmation slow

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »