NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 11:22
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Mar 30, 2015

I'm so ticked off with MemoQ. It's caused me nothing but problems in the past month with constant hanging and not-responding messages, and now the file that was due this morning can't be exported. I run the Operations - Resolve errors, find that the errors are all unmatched numbers (from comma decimals in French to comma periods in English!) but I can't ignore, skip, confirm, confirm without updating, even putting in comma decimals into the target which I'd have to waste time fixing on the expor... See more
I'm so ticked off with MemoQ. It's caused me nothing but problems in the past month with constant hanging and not-responding messages, and now the file that was due this morning can't be exported. I run the Operations - Resolve errors, find that the errors are all unmatched numbers (from comma decimals in French to comma periods in English!) but I can't ignore, skip, confirm, confirm without updating, even putting in comma decimals into the target which I'd have to waste time fixing on the exported file aren't accepted. MemoQ simply refuses to export this 7711 word file. I'm in tears of frustration here, their non-native explanations, long and complicated, on their KB is beyond me, does anyone please know the solution so I can keep this very important client?

I'd sure like to be able to invoice the hours wasted trying to figure out their clunky, ineffective and non-intuitive software! But for now I'd settle for satisfying my client!

[Edited at 2015-03-31 02:22 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ready to help Mar 30, 2015

I am sad to hear all the bad experiences. My experience with memoQ is completely the opposite: it has made me so productive for six years already!

If I can be of any help trying to export the file with my setup here, I would be glad to give it a try. Simply email me via Proz.com's mail and we can try to find a solution.

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
A possible workaround Mar 30, 2015

I wish I knew more about how QA works in MemoQ to help you resolve this issue.

As a workaround, have you tried the 'Export bilingual' menu option? The output can be a TTX file that can be processed by other CAT tools. Or you can generate a .rtf that can substitute for the authentic target, as long as your source file is something simple like a Word file that doesn't have too many tags.

[Edited at 2015-03-30 14:58 GMT]

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
If you're working on your client's MemoQ server, contact them Mar 30, 2015

... and ask them to change their QA rules. Errors like number format mismatch should be ignore-able.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all for your speedy responses Mar 30, 2015

I was in the process of writing Tomas privately (thank you for your kind offer to help, Tomas!)
but I came back to the forum when I saw there were more replies.

I tried the Bilingual export option as Mikhail mentioned, and got a target (not bilingual) file with some coding I have to manually edit, but that sure beats starting a new 8000 word translation from scratch. Thank you for the idea Mikhail. I can't repor
... See more
I was in the process of writing Tomas privately (thank you for your kind offer to help, Tomas!)
but I came back to the forum when I saw there were more replies.

I tried the Bilingual export option as Mikhail mentioned, and got a target (not bilingual) file with some coding I have to manually edit, but that sure beats starting a new 8000 word translation from scratch. Thank you for the idea Mikhail. I can't report the problem to my client as I am using MemoQ locally on a Word doc they sent me.

Now the next issue is, do I risk the other two files in MemoQ?? (same client, same TM, two files about 10K words each). Or is there some way I can transfer this MemoQ TM to Studio 2009, which never gave me any trouble? (why, why did I decide to switch?) who knows...

Thank you so much for your time.
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Export the TM Mar 30, 2015

If you have another CAT tool available that you're productive with, consider exporting the TM from MemoQ and processing the next few documents in the other tool.

ADDED: Come to think of it, you can do the same with the current doc too

Since you said it's your private MemoQ project, you must have the permissions necessary to make number format QA errors ignore-able. I think this would eliminate most of the
... See more
If you have another CAT tool available that you're productive with, consider exporting the TM from MemoQ and processing the next few documents in the other tool.

ADDED: Come to think of it, you can do the same with the current doc too

Since you said it's your private MemoQ project, you must have the permissions necessary to make number format QA errors ignore-able. I think this would eliminate most of the hassle you're going through now. I'll look for a way to do that. I use MemoQ 2013 R2 but also have 2014. Which version are you using?

[Edited at 2015-03-30 15:10 GMT]
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mikhail Mar 30, 2015

it's the latest updated 2014. Their KB article mentions not updating in the middle of a project to avoid these kinds of problems - but this software updates automatically, so how can a language-focused (vs. computer programming-focused) translator avoid these headaches?

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Adjust QA settings Mar 30, 2015

See how:

http://dl2.joxi.net/drive/0001/1619/124499/150330/75c1d9750a.jpg

bryanmontpetit
bryanmontpetit
Tried to reach out to you... Mar 30, 2015

Hi NancyLynn,

Just wanted to let you know that I reached out to you by direct message (email) providing you my direct contact information.

Looking forward to helping you through this.

Cheers
Bryan

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Opposite experience Mar 30, 2015

My experience is exactly the opposite - I have both SDL Studio 2011 and memoQ and I find memoQ much easier, faster and more responsive than Studio. Actually, when I get a Studio package from a client I will often export the SDLXLIFF file for translation in memoQ, then reimport it into Studio to create the final package for the client. I guess it's a question of personal choice.

If an export fails, it's almost always because of a tag error, which is easily detectable using Run QA.
... See more
My experience is exactly the opposite - I have both SDL Studio 2011 and memoQ and I find memoQ much easier, faster and more responsive than Studio. Actually, when I get a Studio package from a client I will often export the SDLXLIFF file for translation in memoQ, then reimport it into Studio to create the final package for the client. I guess it's a question of personal choice.

If an export fails, it's almost always because of a tag error, which is easily detectable using Run QA. The number errors mentioned are QA settings.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all for your speedy responses Mar 31, 2015

Thank you Mikhail for your graphic; that was very helpful. I'll try it again sometime, on another file when time is not an issue (when does that every happen?...lol).

For now, alas, I had to go back to 2007 Tag Editor with the TM I exported from MemoQ to tmx. It was simply more expedient this way, because situations like the one I had this morning are just not on.

I did write to Kilgray this morning, but this forum here was far more responsive....
See more
Thank you Mikhail for your graphic; that was very helpful. I'll try it again sometime, on another file when time is not an issue (when does that every happen?...lol).

For now, alas, I had to go back to 2007 Tag Editor with the TM I exported from MemoQ to tmx. It was simply more expedient this way, because situations like the one I had this morning are just not on.

I did write to Kilgray this morning, but this forum here was far more responsive. Kilgray wanted me to send them my project, which didn't seem like a very good idea to me. The answers I found here helped me out, and no NDAs were harmed in the process

They did tell me they couldn't reproduce the issues I raised (freezing white page: MemoQ Not Responding) everytime I leave the page to go consult another page, a website, my e-mails; argh!) But it would be nice if they, like you, told me what to do about not being able to export my file.

I guess I'm becoming like an old dog, unable to learn new tricks. It's a good thing I have experienced colleagues who don't mind taking the time to help me out.

Have a great day everyone!
Collapse

Hadizare
Hadizare
Iran
French to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Question Apr 16, 2015

Hello all
I am using memoQ. I have aligned two texts faesi and English. I wonder how to export these two files in order to have a word file of the two texts. When I open the aligned pairs and click on "project" to select "export active document" , I can't click on it. how shall I overcome this problem. I would be happy if you help me.
thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't export file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »