MT Plugins Comparison - Is Google Translate the best?
Thread poster: overk1ll
overk1ll
overk1ll
Germany
Apr 16, 2015

How do the machine translation plugins offered in MemoQ compare to Google Translate, regardless of price? I'm translating from English to German. Is itranslate4eu better? Worse? Thanks.

Francis Murphy (X)
Francis Murphy (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:47
French to English
Microsoft MT Apr 17, 2015

I have tried Microsoft MT for FR > EN and it works quite well with MemoQ. Under 2,000,000 characters per month is free. I did not look at others closely.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:47
English to Polish
+ ...
No single answer Apr 18, 2015

overk1ll wrote:

How do the machine translation plugins offered in MemoQ compare to Google Translate, regardless of price? I'm translating from English to German. Is itranslate4eu better? Worse? Thanks.

I think it really depends on your language pair, subject matter and even translation direction.

From my experience Google Translate English to Polish is getting worse and worse (they crowdsourced translation of phrases under the theme of "Help Improve" and I think it backfires). Surprisingly, when you go from Polish to English, the quality is much better.

Piotr

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:47
Finnish to French
It also varies on a segment-by-segment basis Apr 18, 2015

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
I think it really depends on your language pair, subject matter and even translation direction.

And even within the same subject matter and the same language pair and direction, it can vary on a case-by-case (segment by segment) basis: for one segment, Google Translate may be better, while for the next one, Microsoft Translator is going to be better. This is why it's best to have both side-by-side, so you can pick up the best one as the basis for your own translation. Cost is a non-issue anyway.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:47
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
agree with Dominique Apr 18, 2015

I always have two of them (Google Translate and Microsoft Translator) side by side in my CAT tool.

Michael

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:47
Vertically arranged Apr 19, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

I always have two of them (Google Translate and Microsoft Translator) side by side in my CAT tool.

Michael

I have them vertically arranged in my tool. And I agree with Dominique too, while finding it always amazing that Bing Translator doesn't score better in IT segments. I'm under the impression that Bing is a little more tolerant for typos.

It would be nice to have Google display images automatically for all those one-word segments. Shouldn't be to difficult to add. Please see the CafeTran forum for a thread on this subject.

[Edited at 2015-04-19 05:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MT Plugins Comparison - Is Google Translate the best?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »