How to import bilingual and multilingual excel files into memoQ.
Thread poster: Sempiro
Sempiro
Sempiro
China
Local time: 12:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 27, 2015

The subject. I have multilingual excel file that looks like:

https://monosnap.com/file/66Du1TMxfFxlauAYqUu0v3hYG96N3U

I need to import Chinese and English part into memoQ to do some proofread and to make a term base for the whole project. I have tried: Import .csv as multilingual, excel as bilingual and multilingual, but at the end I either get the source
... See more
The subject. I have multilingual excel file that looks like:

https://monosnap.com/file/66Du1TMxfFxlauAYqUu0v3hYG96N3U

I need to import Chinese and English part into memoQ to do some proofread and to make a term base for the whole project. I have tried: Import .csv as multilingual, excel as bilingual and multilingual, but at the end I either get the source column messed up (English and Chinese in the same column. Chinese is SL, and English is TL), either lack of content at all.

Any advice?

Thank you
Collapse

Laura Harrison
Laura Harrison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:59
French to English
+ ...
Did you specify... Apr 28, 2015

which column is the ST and which is the TT when you imported?

Sempiro
Sempiro
China
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File Apr 28, 2015

Laura Harrison wrote:

which column is the ST and which is the TT when you imported?

I can use both - English and Chinese as ST and Russian as TT.

Here is a link for the excel file

https://mega.co.nz/#!mpFwELTB!jnfyw_kxXnU195radOn161aNLKexYaXn2Cz3IF_DTPQ

[Edited at 2015-04-28 11:02 GMT]

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 07:59
Russian to English
+ ...
Prepare a TMX Apr 28, 2015

Sempiro wrote:
...I have tried: Import .csv as multilingual, excel as bilingual and multilingual, but at the end I either get the source column messed up...

I would do it like this:

1. Make a copy of your Excel file. Make Excel bilingua (2 columns ENG & CHI) of the copy.
2. Import bilingual Excel in, for example, DéjàVu as a translation memory. Export it back in TMX format.
3. Make another copy of your Excel file. Delete all except English (original) in this copy.
4. Make a new project in MemoQ (ENG-CHI). Connect the newly TMX-file.
5. Import Excel copy with 1 column (Step 3 result) in MemoQ project. Pretranslate.

Voilà. Now you have the "translated" file in MQ-project and edit it as you wish, create TMX and Term-bases.

PS. The Russian version on your picture is horrible and funny at the same time. If you need the Russain version, better to give it for a native to proof-check.

Good luck.

Sempiro
Sempiro
China
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try it out, thank you Apr 29, 2015

VIP9N wrote:

Sempiro wrote:
...I have tried: Import .csv as multilingual, excel as bilingual and multilingual, but at the end I either get the source column messed up...

I would do it like this:

1. Make a copy of your Excel file. Make Excel bilingua (2 columns ENG & CHI) of the copy.
2. Import bilingual Excel in, for example, DéjàVu as a translation memory. Export it back in TMX format.
3. Make another copy of your Excel file. Delete all except English (original) in this copy.
5. Import Excel copy with 1 column (Step 3 result) in MemoQ project. Pretranslate.

Voilà. Now you have the "translated" file in MQ-project and edit it as you wish, create TMX and Term-bases.

PS. The Russian version on your picture is horrible and funny at the same time. If you need the Russain version, better to give it for a native to proof-check.

Good luck.

HiVIP9N, thank you for help, I will try it with http://www.translatum.gr/cgi-bin/excel-to-tmx.pl .

P.S.: Yeah, I know about the translation quality of this one, thanks for heads up. It was done by Chinese and this is exactly the reason for me to do proofread. I will let you know if it worked for me.

Sempiro
Sempiro
China
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worked like a charm Apr 29, 2015

VIP9N wrote:

Sempiro wrote:

I would do it like this:

Good luck.

It worked like a charm! Thank you very much!

P.S.: I do hope that memoQ devs will add a more convenient way to import bilingual files soon. Peace.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:59
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
It works Apr 29, 2015

I have imported your example file directly as a multilingual delimited text filter (Excel) without problems, so I am afraid you must be doing something incorrectly...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import bilingual and multilingual excel files into memoQ.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »