Thread poster: Diego Bruschetti
Diego Bruschetti
Diego Bruschetti
Argentina
Local time: 20:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2015

Hello, I have a doubt. I am working with the localization of videogames on Android and I need to translate different .xml files. The problem is that the format of the file is

< resources>
< English>
< string name="app_name">PatientZero
< string name="Title">Patient Zero:
< string name="SubTitle">Day One
< string name="Play">PLAY
< string name="Credits">Credits
< /English>
... See more
Hello, I have a doubt. I am working with the localization of videogames on Android and I need to translate different .xml files. The problem is that the format of the file is

< resources>
< English>
< string name="SubTitle">Day One
< string name="Play">PLAY
< string name="Credits">Credits
< /English>

< Swedish>
< string name="SubTitle">Dag Ett
< string name="Play">SPELA
< string name="Credits">Eftertexter
< /Swedish>
< /resources>

and I need to add a new set of strings in Spanish (in my case) after Swedish. In this single file it is really not a problem copying and pasting the original set of strings and only translating those. But I have 321 more files divided among a very complex folder structure.

Is there a way to automatize the process without having to go manually one by one?

(I have the same problem with .txt files with the same structure)

[Edited at 2015-07-13 21:37 GMT]
Collapse

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
Local time: 00:32
English to German
Additional question Aug 1, 2015

Hello Diego,

The file doesn't really look like a valid XML, but this may be related to the forum. Is it ONE single file that contains 2 languages (English and Swedish)? Now you want to add Spanish to the same file, right?

AFAIK this doesn't work with MemoQ, you need a translations tools that support multilingual XML files (i.e. SDL Passolo). Another solution would be to program a small utility that copies the English section into a new Spanish section throughout your 32
... See more
Hello Diego,

The file doesn't really look like a valid XML, but this may be related to the forum. Is it ONE single file that contains 2 languages (English and Swedish)? Now you want to add Spanish to the same file, right?

AFAIK this doesn't work with MemoQ, you need a translations tools that support multilingual XML files (i.e. SDL Passolo). Another solution would be to program a small utility that copies the English section into a new Spanish section throughout your 321 files.

Achim Herrmann
Collapse

Diego Bruschetti
Diego Bruschetti
Argentina
Local time: 20:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
file structure Aug 3, 2015

In fact the original file is much larger I have just copied and edited one part and I have modify it (with a space and witouth the tabs) so it can be displayed in the forum. I need what you said to add a Spanish translation after the Swedish. For just one file it is not a problem because I copied and pasted the English strings and translated those. But I have anther larger project (180k words divided into a quite complex folder structure) of .txt files with the same structure:

Engli
... See more
In fact the original file is much larger I have just copied and edited one part and I have modify it (with a space and witouth the tabs) so it can be displayed in the forum. I need what you said to add a Spanish translation after the Swedish. For just one file it is not a problem because I copied and pasted the English strings and translated those. But I have anther larger project (180k words divided into a quite complex folder structure) of .txt files with the same structure:

English text:

xxxx
xx
xxxx
xxxx
xxxx

Portuguese Translation:
xxxxxxx
xxxxaaa
aaaaa
aaaaa

and then I have to add my Spanish translation...
Collapse

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
Local time: 00:32
English to Hungarian
+ ...
try the multilingual XML filter Aug 3, 2015

Hi Diego,

While it is not at all simple, you can use the multilingual XML filter in memoQ to set up rules using xPath.

István

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatize translation of .xml Android files? HELP

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »