Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 05:54
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 31, 2015

I'm doing a job in memoQ 2014 R2 and the remote server has decided to just completely pack it in. I can't confirm any segments because the remote server is not available. The remote server has played up on me before during this job, but usually all I had to do was close memoQ and start it back up again, and everything would be fine. Today however, the problem is more serious. Restarting memoQ has not worked. Restarting my computer entirely has not worked. I'm still able to translate, but I can't... See more
I'm doing a job in memoQ 2014 R2 and the remote server has decided to just completely pack it in. I can't confirm any segments because the remote server is not available. The remote server has played up on me before during this job, but usually all I had to do was close memoQ and start it back up again, and everything would be fine. Today however, the problem is more serious. Restarting memoQ has not worked. Restarting my computer entirely has not worked. I'm still able to translate, but I can't confirm any segments. It's quite utterly maddening. Is anyone else having this issue today? Is the problem with my software or is it at Kilgray's end? TIA for any light you can shed on this.Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:54
German to English
Workaround Jul 31, 2015

I'm running into similar problems lately myself. If I get the remote server message at the start of the project, it's usually a problem with my anti-virus program. Briefly deactivating it while I connect to the server usually helps.

According to discussions with other colleagues, the latest MQ server release has been buggy/sensitive to the end user's configuration. In months past, I hadn't had any problems with projects provided by the old memoQ server; since the start of summer the
... See more
I'm running into similar problems lately myself. If I get the remote server message at the start of the project, it's usually a problem with my anti-virus program. Briefly deactivating it while I connect to the server usually helps.

According to discussions with other colleagues, the latest MQ server release has been buggy/sensitive to the end user's configuration. In months past, I hadn't had any problems with projects provided by the old memoQ server; since the start of summer there have been numerous issues.

The other day the connection to the server died while I was 3/4 through my project. I went through the same procedure as yours – restart MemoQ (no joy), reboot the computer, restart the program (ditto). I also tried connecting with a different computer with the same lack of success. It appeared that the originating server was down. I managed to save a bilingual (RTF) copy of the file and finished translating it, finally saving it as a bilingual mqxliff file (which is what the return package contains); I then sent the file via email to the PM with an explanation. At that point I didn't care about the TM, as it was on the remote server as well.

Later before retiring to bed, I tried connecting to the server and the connection succeeded, confirming my suspicion that the problem was at the other end.

My suggestions, in no particular order (and your mileage may vary!):
Opt for manual synchronization if possible. This should keep MQ from freezing if the connection to the server fails.
Try to save a local copy of the file and use that, if possible.
Try briefly deactivating your anti-virus protection when establishing the initial connection.
Good luck!
Collapse

Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 05:54
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 2, 2015

Thank you very much for that, Kevin. Glad it's not just me then, and I'm also quite glad the problem is not with my own software. I noticed that there seemed to be random connections to the server and a couple of segments would suddenly be confirmed, and then when I had restarted the program after getting close to the end of my project, it just came completely right again. Anyway, thanks for those tips - I'll keep them in mind for another time. Much appreciated!

Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:54
German to English
+ ...
I had this last week... Aug 3, 2015

...managed 1000 words over an entire day. Was not happy.

I got the customer to contact Kilgray, who apparently said that such problems can occur when multiple translators are working on the same project.

Ever since then I have had fewer issues, but I do get an "object reference not set to an instance of an object" error every single time I go into ANY online project, for the first time. Worrying to say the least. Not been able to find anything online.

Can a
... See more
...managed 1000 words over an entire day. Was not happy.

I got the customer to contact Kilgray, who apparently said that such problems can occur when multiple translators are working on the same project.

Ever since then I have had fewer issues, but I do get an "object reference not set to an instance of an object" error every single time I go into ANY online project, for the first time. Worrying to say the least. Not been able to find anything online.

Can anyone tell me the processes to exclude from my antivirus please?

[Edited at 2015-08-03 05:36 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
I turn everything off briefly Aug 3, 2015

Francesca Collodo wrote:

Usually my server-based projects have a short (next day) deadline, so I haven't had time to test the optimal approach to managing my anti-virus utilities. I use a "belt-and braces" approach: I use Norton for general protection and Malware Bytes anti-exploit to protect against browser-based attacks (I'm describing this in broad strokes). Once I've established the connection and all the resources are available, I make sure my protection is restored. I can disable Norton for a selected periods, so I'm not worried about a 15-minute gap in coverage. Having dual coverage may add a few nanoseconds to my computer's response time, but I haven't noticed any significant slowdown.

It's also possible that the Windows firewall may be involved.

Of course nothing can protect you against the remote server going down, although backing up the active file – if possible – has worked for me.

Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:54
German to English
+ ...
See, MemoQ users seem to be fine with elaborate workarounds... Aug 4, 2015

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Francesca Collodo wrote:

Usually my server-based projects have a short (next day) deadline, so I haven't had time to test the optimal approach to managing my anti-virus utilities. I use a "belt-and braces" approach: I use Norton for general protection and Malware Bytes anti-exploit to protect against browser-based attacks (I'm describing this in broad strokes). Once I've established the connection and all the resources are available, I make sure my protection is restored. I can disable Norton for a selected periods, so I'm not worried about a 15-minute gap in coverage. Having dual coverage may add a few nanoseconds to my computer's response time, but I haven't noticed any significant slowdown.

It's also possible that the Windows firewall may be involved.

Of course nothing can protect you against the remote server going down, although backing up the active file – if possible – has worked for me.

...such as, the advice to "create a Word document of your translation, deleting it as you go, to find out your remaining word count". I'm just not down with that, I have work to do and I need to be supported by a tool in meeting my deadlines, not battling with it.

You do know you can simply exclude certain processes from checking, via your virus checker itself?

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
MemoQ workarounds Aug 4, 2015

Francesca Collodo wrote:

...such as, the advice to "create a Word document of your translation, deleting it as you go, to find out your remaining word count". I'm just not down with that, I have work to do and I need to be supported by a tool in meeting my deadlines, not battling with it.

You do know you can simply exclude certain processes from checking, via your virus checker itself?

I use the "Statistics" button in the Documents tab to give me the remaining word count. That's been an active feature for some time now.

The time factor involved in experimenting with disabling anti-virus features makes the heavy-handed shutting off virus protection for 15 minutes while the project loads a viable alternative. If the browser is shut off, I'm not likely to be attacked by an exploiting web site.

I must say that I am disappointed with the bugginess of the most recent releases of MemoQ.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remote Server Not Available in MemoQ 2014 R2

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »