Thread poster: FrenchPhD
FrenchPhD
FrenchPhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:52
French to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2015

Hello, I have a client who sent me an SDLPPX package, for a FR>EN translation. It imports fine, but they did the settings wrong, and the SDLXLIFF inside wants German as the source language. The PM will send me a new corrected package tomorrow, but I translated for 30 minutes or so, pretending my English was German, just to get some of it done.

So, is there any way I can use these segments (export, rename TM, recycle a file) and just paste them into tomorrow's correctly labelled EN>
... See more
Hello, I have a client who sent me an SDLPPX package, for a FR>EN translation. It imports fine, but they did the settings wrong, and the SDLXLIFF inside wants German as the source language. The PM will send me a new corrected package tomorrow, but I translated for 30 minutes or so, pretending my English was German, just to get some of it done.

So, is there any way I can use these segments (export, rename TM, recycle a file) and just paste them into tomorrow's correctly labelled EN>FR sdlxliff?
Collapse

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:52
Italian to English
+ ...
LiveDocs Aug 3, 2015

It's an unusual request, but I imagine you might be able to align your translations with the source, though I've never tried aligning an SDLXLIFF
Otherwise you can export to a TMX and replace the language codes.

If this is pure gibberish, then I'll go into greater detail!

FrenchPhD
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So.... replace de-de with en-en? Aug 3, 2015

Thanks for your quick reply. I can export the TM as a TMX, and in fact just did so. So do you mean now I should open the TMX as a txt, and replace all instances of 'de-de' with 'en-en', and then reimport and use that TMX tomorrow when doing the proper sdlxliff? Just asking to see if you think this is feasible.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Export a TMX Aug 3, 2015

The easiest procedure would be to export a TMX file from the memory. You can assign the source and target segments to different languages at import time, i.e. when you receive the new package and import your translations into the memory with the right settings.

FrenchPhD
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, friends... Aug 3, 2015

This was helpful. P

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No need to change language codes Aug 3, 2015

Anthony Green wrote:

I see no need to edit the TMX file to replace any language codes. You can assign the language codes in the TMX file to the source and target language at import time, by simply choosing the language codes in the Source and Target lists in the Translation memory TMX import settings dialog box that comes up when you import the TMX into the new memory from the customer.

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
very interesting Aug 3, 2015

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Anthony Green wrote:

I see no need to edit the TMX file to replace any language codes. You can assign the language codes in the TMX file to the source and target language at import time, by simply choosing the language codes in the Source and Target lists in the Translation memory TMX import settings dialog box that comes up when you import the TMX into the new memory from the customer.

Thanks Tomas!

FrenchPhD
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And the last step..... Aug 4, 2015

Do I use the pre-translate command, or another method (hopefully not one by one) to get the first 20% of the segments done today into the new sdlxliff tomorrow? Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Re-using translated segments?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »