Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
To what extent will a memoQ Translator Pro license help me to get a new customer base?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:21
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Stepan: Aug 30, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

If there is no solution, the best way is to say you don't need it...
There is a number of reasons in fact. Why on earth memoQ has this option (as many other features deemed unnecessary by SDL).
Simple example: I use studio 2015 or memoQ, my friend prefers Trados 2007. We want to share a number of files so that one of us translates repetitions, and the other one translates non-reps. (Should I also explain why we need this?)
memoQ allows me to make a Trados2007-compatible file and send it to my friend. Once he is done with his translation, I can import it back to memoQ.
What regards Studio... Let me guess: I need additional app/plugin? Again?..

[Edited at 2015-08-29 05:12 GMT]

Yes! That's exactly what I don't understand: if you extract all the reps, and let your friend do them, you have effectively removed a large amount of your file's context. That's what I don't understand. Why would you want to do this? I just can't understand why this would ever be desirable or a good idea. In fact, it sounds like a bad idea to me.

Note that I am not saying that the fact that it is so easy in memoQ to export filtered results is a bad thing. In fact, I think it's clever, and I will probably be asking Igor to implement it in CafeTran.

Michael

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:21
English to Russian
Why lose context? Aug 30, 2015

I can attach the entire package for context + we can advise each other on the context if need be.
On the other hand, such segregation (reps - nonreps) allows us to ensure that we do not translate same sentences in different ways. If we simply split a job in 2 halves, we cannot control repetitions that may occur in both halves.
=====
By the way, somebody in another thread here asked if he can extract commented segments for external review in Studio. Me and you can also wonder wh
... See more
I can attach the entire package for context + we can advise each other on the context if need be.
On the other hand, such segregation (reps - nonreps) allows us to ensure that we do not translate same sentences in different ways. If we simply split a job in 2 halves, we cannot control repetitions that may occur in both halves.
=====
By the way, somebody in another thread here asked if he can extract commented segments for external review in Studio. Me and you can also wonder why he needs that, but people may have most unthinkable and unexpected needs...
That thread is not about CAT tools in general (like this one), but about SDL only. That's why I did not reply.
However, if that guy used memoQ, he could do what he needs in a couple of clicks:
1. Create view.
2. Use 'Advanced options' to check the 'Commented' box in the 'Status' tab.
That's it.

[Edited at 2015-08-30 22:45 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:21
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Double trouble Aug 31, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
Note that I am not saying that the fact that it is so easy in memoQ to export filtered results is a bad thing. In fact, I think it's clever, and I will probably be asking Igor to implement it in CafeTran.

Please don't. CafeTran already boasts way too many features, and to implement them twice would add to the confusion.

Just use the filter, and in the menu, Project | Convert Project | To [pick you choice]: TMX, plain text, or HTML. I selected HTML for the occasion, and used QuickLook to superimpose it on the CafeTran project.

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
in general, I agree with you Aug 31, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

=====
By the way, somebody in another thread here asked if he can extract commented segments for external review in Studio. Me and you can also wonder why he needs that, but people may have most unthinkable and unexpected needs...
That thread is not about CAT tools in general (like this one), but about SDL only. That's why I did not reply.
However, if that guy used memoQ, he could do what he needs in a couple of clicks:
1. Create view.
2. Use 'Advanced options' to check the 'Commented' box in the 'Status' tab.
That's it.

[Edited at 2015-08-30 22:45 GMT]

You lose context, in the sense that, as you are translating (moving from one segment to the next), there will be missing segments (= missing context, missing info re how the original document you are translating flows). Surely there must be a better way to ensure that you and your colleague don’t translate the same sentences in different ways. Maybe via QA?

Extracting commented segments (to a bilingual table) sounds quite useful to me! You could use it to send your client a very concise document detailing only your questions re the text. On the other hand, I use the full bilingual table export (with comments) for this purpose, so I probably wouldn't use it, but it might be useful for very big documents or projects.

Anyway, in general, I agree with you: the more filtering (and extracting of filtered segments into a bilingual table) options the better!

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Luddite scaremongering Aug 31, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Please don't. CafeTran already boasts way too many features, and to implement them twice would add to the confusion.

Just use the filter, and in the menu, Project | Convert Project | To [pick you choice]: TMX, plain text, or HTML. I selected HTML for the occasion, and used QuickLook to superimpose it on the CafeTran project.

Cheers,

Hans

Already tried that (Project > Convert Project > To …). It doesn't work.

(1) Txt isn't bilingual.
(2) HTML works, but HTML is useless, as it needs to be converted to something usable, like a bilingual .docx table.
(3) I tried the TMX, but it exported everything I had translated so far, not the filtered results.

It would be better if filtered results could be exported straight to a bilingual table. That is, if you have a filter activated, Project > Export as bilingual document (with notes) should export this, not everything.

CafeTran doesn't have too many features. That's just Luddite scaremongering.

Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
To post a reply, actually related to the question... Sep 4, 2015

...like you I wondered the same thing, I have been a Trados user for many years. I took the plunge and bought a MemoQ licence sometime last year - YES it has got me three new agency customers who are sending me a lot of work.

In my case, the outlay has definitely paid for itself.

What I would do however in your shoes, is simply add it to your profile on here, your CV and wherever else you market yourself, as a CAT tool you use. As the first agency to contact me since I
... See more
...like you I wondered the same thing, I have been a Trados user for many years. I took the plunge and bought a MemoQ licence sometime last year - YES it has got me three new agency customers who are sending me a lot of work.

In my case, the outlay has definitely paid for itself.

What I would do however in your shoes, is simply add it to your profile on here, your CV and wherever else you market yourself, as a CAT tool you use. As the first agency to contact me since I added it, also offer to pay for your licence.
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 16:21
English to Polish
+ ...
I would buy MemoQ, but... Sep 5, 2015

The three big winners for me (from my perspective and the projects I do) are DVX3, Trados 2015 and Wordfast Classic and this is purely because they have something that MemoQ is missing (shame).
I'm talking here about an advanced Autosuggest/autocomplete function, which dramatically decreases the translation time.

I especially love what Wf Classic has under the hood here. The tool proposes suggestions from 3 Machine Translation providers (sentences, phrases and words), proper
... See more
The three big winners for me (from my perspective and the projects I do) are DVX3, Trados 2015 and Wordfast Classic and this is purely because they have something that MemoQ is missing (shame).
I'm talking here about an advanced Autosuggest/autocomplete function, which dramatically decreases the translation time.

I especially love what Wf Classic has under the hood here. The tool proposes suggestions from 3 Machine Translation providers (sentences, phrases and words), proper names (very useful), numbers and terms from the glossary.

But Trados 2015 is now close to what Wf Classic offers, with suggestions from MT providers, TMs (not only 100% and fuzzy matches, but also matches from the Concordance!), the Autosuggest dictionaries (passive), glossaries, Regex (a great thing), and in some areas it seems to surpass Wf.

Deja Vu is also quite good with its Deepminer (searching for phrases in the TM), but it really seems that the development has recently stalled. Still, its autosuggest proposes matches from Deepminer (TMs), Machine Translation Providers, Termbases and the Lexicon (useful!). No autosuggest for numbers and proper names, though. Also, I've noticed that the suggested phrases are often fed without respect to any punctuation and sentence structure. Because of this, DVX can propose chunks like:
"He looked" and
"He looked out the window, where he"
and skip a much more logical:
"He looked out the window,"

As for MemoQ, it unfortunately offers suggestions only from Muses (passive), glossaries and online dictionaries (lots of false positives). There's no autosuggestion for MTs and no Deepminer-kind-of-thing, which is shame, because from my experience, it makes your life and work much easier and a lot faster.
I tested demo of MemoQ and I must say that I loved lots of its function, but until they introduce more advanced autosuggest, I'm afraid, I won't buy it.

[Edited at 2015-09-05 14:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-05 15:46 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
I find Autosuggest... Sep 6, 2015

...real annoying in both apps. I always disable it for TM - suggestions from termbase are more than enough. Btw, memoQ also suggests TM hits. However this is the last option for me to consider benefits or disadvantages...

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 16:21
English to Polish
+ ...
Everyone has their own opinion Sep 6, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

...real annoying in both apps. I always disable it for TM - suggestions from termbase are more than enough. Btw, memoQ also suggests TM hits. However this is the last option for me to consider benefits or disadvantages...

What is annoying for you, is a great help for somebody else. I actually know more fans than opponents of autosuggest, but I accept your point of view. For me the advanced autosuggest, available in such a form an in Wf, DVX and Studio, is a real godsend and the lack of it in MemoQ was a decisive factor why I gave up on buying it.

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ = more work, more options, more clients Sep 6, 2015

I am a big fan of memoQ, although I probably only use 20% of its potential. I have quite a few clients with memoQ servers, and a recent job paid the licence 6 times over! Why SDL is so much more expensive is beyond me, and basically decided my choice of CAT tool.

So is it worth it, even if you already have SDL? Yes!

One thing one of you memoQ gurus might be able to help me with; is it possible to filter for segments NOT containing a certain word, rather than only contai
... See more
I am a big fan of memoQ, although I probably only use 20% of its potential. I have quite a few clients with memoQ servers, and a recent job paid the licence 6 times over! Why SDL is so much more expensive is beyond me, and basically decided my choice of CAT tool.

So is it worth it, even if you already have SDL? Yes!

One thing one of you memoQ gurus might be able to help me with; is it possible to filter for segments NOT containing a certain word, rather than only containing a certain word?

[Edited at 2015-09-06 13:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-06 13:26 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
is it possible to filter for segments NOT containing a certain word Sep 6, 2015

1. Filter segments containing a certain word.
2. Ctrl+Shift+A, Ctrl+Shift+L
3. All unlocked segments are the segments NOT containing a certain word
4. Apply filter '(9) Not locked'

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
thanks Stepan Sep 7, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

1. Filter segments containing a certain word.
2. Ctrl+Shift+A, Ctrl+Shift+L
3. All unlocked segments are the segments NOT containing a certain word
4. Apply filter '(9) Not locked'

yes, that works!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To what extent will a memoQ Translator Pro license help me to get a new customer base?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »