MemoQ error: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Thread poster: John Marston
John Marston
John Marston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:54
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2015

I have memoQ 2014 (translator pro, version 7.0.75). My client sends me Studio packages, which I'm able to open in memoQ and then work on the file. Once I update the TM, I export a return package. But recently, I've been occasionally getting this error message when trying to export:

TYPE:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index

S
... See more
I have memoQ 2014 (translator pro, version 7.0.75). My client sends me Studio packages, which I'm able to open in memoQ and then work on the file. Once I update the TM, I export a return package. But recently, I've been occasionally getting this error message when trying to export:

TYPE:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index

SOURCE:
MemoQ.Project

CALL STACK:
at MemoQ.Project.TranslationDocImportExport.LocalExportController.b__12(ExportUnitBase eu)

SYSTEM INFORMATION:
MemoQ version : 7.0.75
OS version : 10.0.10240
OS architecture : 64-bit
Visible memory : 4118380
Free memory : 1190040
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz
.NET version : v2.0.50727 SP2, v3.0 SP2, v3.5 SP1, v4, v4.0

Maybe this problem's been fixed for 2015, but I'm wondering if anyone has a workaround for the older version. Thanks!
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Keep up to date Sep 16, 2015

I don't have a solution to this particular problem, but if you are using it professionally you would be well advised to pay the $120 or so annual fee to keep memoQ up to date. These sort of problems tend to be corrected in the next build which comes out every few weeks.

In any case, contact support and they usually have an answer.

John Marston
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I might do that Sep 17, 2015

Thanks for your reply, John. I might have to look into that if I can't find a solution to this bug.

Gert Sass (M.A.)
Gert Sass (M.A.)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:54
English to German
+ ...
Same issue with translator pro, version 7.8.54 Oct 2, 2015

Hi there,

I have exactly the same issue with MemoQ 2015 (translator pro, version 7.8.54).
Has anyone found a solution or workaround for this bug yet?
I have now spent more than 40 mins on this. My DL is in 15 mins.

TIA for any input.

John Marston
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
didn't find a solution but the problem fixed itself Oct 2, 2015

I ended up upgrading to 2015 to see if that would fix the problem, but it persisted. So, I contacted memoQ Support and they encountered the same problem, and said they'd be passing it along to developers. But then I was able to somehow fix the problem by just deleting and re-importing the Studio package a couple of times - no idea why that worked. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, Gert, but try contacting Support again if it doesn't fix itself - they might've found a fix since I talked to them.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:54
English to Russian
Possible solution Oct 2, 2015

Here they state that a corrupted file (preferences-layout.xml) is the problem:
https://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00609/0/General-Error:-Opening-a-document-for-translation-throws-error-message.html
However, there is no guarantee that this applies to your cases...

Gert Sass (M.A.)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Oct 5, 2015

Dear colleagues,
thanks a lot for your clues. I have tried several times to delete that file (preferences-layout.xml). Since that didn't help, I contacted memoQ Support and am currently looking forward to their reply.
Thanks again.

Gert Sass (M.A.)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The export should work fine in the next official memoQ 2015 build Oct 7, 2015

Hi again,

Kilgray support replied saying they could export the package with the prototype version of the next build (7.8.55), so the export should work fine in the next official memoQ 2015 build.

pjg111
pjg111  Identity Verified
English to French
When will build 7.8.55 be available? Oct 11, 2015

Gert Sass (M.A.) wrote:

Hi again,

Kilgray support replied saying they could export the package with the prototype version of the next build (7.8.55), so the export should work fine in the next official memoQ 2015 build.

Hi Gert,

Thank you so much for this info. Any idea of when this much expected and needed MemoQ 2015 build will be available?

Many thanks in advance for your answer.

Patrick

pjg111
pjg111  Identity Verified
English to French
Problem seems to persist with 7.8.55 Oct 13, 2015

Hi everybody,

I’ve just installed new build 7.8.55 and tried to export a sdlxliff from MemoQ 2015. Export still fails with the same error message "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection."

It is a real problem as I cannot return my clients sdlxliff files from MemoQ and have to use Trados Studio 2011 to retranslate them using a file-specific TM first exported from MemoQ.

Do other translators experience the same
... See more
Hi everybody,

I’ve just installed new build 7.8.55 and tried to export a sdlxliff from MemoQ 2015. Export still fails with the same error message "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection."

It is a real problem as I cannot return my clients sdlxliff files from MemoQ and have to use Trados Studio 2011 to retranslate them using a file-specific TM first exported from MemoQ.

Do other translators experience the same?

Kilgray tech support, do you hear?

When will this problem be definitely solved?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

[Edited at 2015-10-13 23:06 GMT]
Collapse

John Marston
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same problem occurs Oct 13, 2015

pjg111 wrote:

Hi everybody,

Do other translators experience the same?

Kilgray tech support, do you hear?

When will this problem be definitely solved?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

[Edited at 2015-10-13 07:54 GMT]

Just updated to the newest build myself and I can confirm the problem still occurs for me as well. What's really strange is that the error happens inconsistently; some of my packages export just fine, and I still can't figure out what distinguishes the problem files...

Catherine Savino
Catherine Savino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:54
French to English
Same problem, same frustration Oct 16, 2015

I'm having the exact same problem and I agree that it's extremely frustrating! I've upgraded to the latest version and am having no luck. I'm stuck figuring out a work-around at the 11th hour.

Hopefully Kilgray comes up with a solution quickly!

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Downgrade to mQ 12014 R2 Oct 16, 2015

Same here, I am afraid (the newest build, 7.8.55).

The solution is to import the files to memoQ 2014 R2 and pretranslate them there.

The reason for the bug might be that mQ 2015 tries to show bold, italics and other formatting inline in sdlxliff files (and fails trying to prepare the files for export) while mQ 2014 treats everything as tags. Perhaps less convenient, but at least it works.

For the same reason you won't always get 101% matches if you
... See more

The solution is to import the files to memoQ 2014 R2 and pretranslate them there.

The reason for the bug might be that mQ 2015 tries to show bold, italics and other formatting inline in sdlxliff files (and fails trying to prepare the files for export) while mQ 2014 treats everything as tags. Perhaps less convenient, but at least it works.

For the same reason you won't always get 101% matches if you translate a file in mQ 2015 and pretranslate it in mQ 2014: the segments containing formatting will require some editing.

It's one of the Three Great Bugs of 2015, along with the broken matching of segments containing numbers and the disappearing status bar.
Collapse

Catherine Savino
Catherine Savino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:54
French to English
Just contact MemoQ directly Oct 18, 2015

Tomasz Sienicki wrote:

For the same reason you won't always get 101% matches if you translate a file in mQ 2015 and pretranslate it in mQ 2014: the segments containing formatting will require some editing.

It's one of the Three Great Bugs of 2015, along with the broken matching of segments containing numbers and the disappearing status bar.

When I encountered the problem, I immediately submitted a support ticket to Kilgray at the Critical level and got a response within minutes (which, by the way, is one of the best things about MemoQ - incredible support). One of the first things they asked me to do was to download 2014R2 and try it through that, but alas it didn't fix the problem for me. In the end, they ended up sending me a link to a new version of 2015 that isn't released yet and it worked great.

I highly recommend contacting their support staff if you encounter this problem, or any other problem for that matter. They do a great job of responding quickly and working very hard to solve the problem.

For what it's worth, I'm thoroughly looking forward to the day when the disappearing status bar bug is fixed. Glad to hear I'm not the only experiencing it!

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 17:24
Shortening the directory path might help Mar 15, 2016

Although it hasn't worked for me thus far...

Incidentally, I use memoQ 2014 (not even R2), so the problem hasn't gone away in a while. It actually appears to be a SDL Studio problem and not a memoQ problem, which is perhaps why the bug
... See more
Although it hasn't worked for me thus far...

Incidentally, I use memoQ 2014 (not even R2), so the problem hasn't gone away in a while. It actually appears to be a SDL Studio problem and not a memoQ problem, which is perhaps why the bug is festering for so long.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/206794-studio_2009_index_was_out_of_range_must_be_non_negative_and_less_than_the_size_of_the_collection.html
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ error: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »