John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:06
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2015

Is it possible to process a Visio VSDX file in memoQ? The import appears to work, but it shows 0 segments.

Otherwise, what is the best way to translate VSDX files?

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
XML file filter Nov 24, 2015

Apparently the text content in Visio is XML-based:
https://blogs.office.com/2012/09/10/vsdx-the-new-visio-file-format/

You should be able to find a way to configure the XML filter in memoQ to import/read the text.

I haven't tried this, however, and I hope I'm not wasting your time.

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 11:06
English to Russian
Translation of VSDX files Nov 24, 2015

Hello, John,

memoQ can translate VDX files (Visio XML Drawing). However, depending on drawing complexity, you may encounter quite a few tags in memoQ.

VSD files (the old binary format) is not supported in memoQ.

I have Visio 2010 at work so I am not familiar with VSDX format. Is it available in the most recent Visio versions?

Regardless of the type of Visio file, the best way to translate such f
... See more
Hello, John,

memoQ can translate VDX files (Visio XML Drawing). However, depending on drawing complexity, you may encounter quite a few tags in memoQ.

VSD files (the old binary format) is not supported in memoQ.

I have Visio 2010 at work so I am not familiar with VSDX format. Is it available in the most recent Visio versions?

Regardless of the type of Visio file, the best way to translate such files is by means of a free add-in called TransTools for Visio. When opened in Visio alongside the drawing you need to translate, it exposes two commands on the ribbon, one for extraction of translatable text into a dual-column table, and another one to translate the original drawing(s) with the translated dual-column table pasted from the clipboard. You can read detailed instructions at the add-in's webpage or ask additional questions here.

The only limitations of the add-in is that it does not retain inline character and paragraph formatting which can sometimes occur in Visio drawings. If you have such formatting, you will need to recreate it after translation.

TransTools can be installed as an installer or a ZIP file (for manual installation of specific add-ins) from here.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still unsolved Feb 8, 2016

It seems this is an add-in to Visio, is that correct? Unfortunately I don't have Visio, and for the few times I am asked to translate a Visio file (usually an image inserted in a Word document) I hope I don't have to buy Visio.

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 10:06
Russian to English
+ ...
It is XML, but... Feb 9, 2016

Kevin Fulton wrote:
Apparently the text content in Visio is XML-based:...
I haven't tried this, however, and I hope I'm not wasting your time...

MemoQ supports the old Visio format - VDX. However, the MS Office itself does not support this VDX anymore since 2013 version of Visio. You have to procure a version of Visio 2010 and lower, and resave the file in VDX format to be able to import-export it back from MemoQ. This way is a little bit inconvenient (for me), as the working table in MemoQ would always contain a soup of rogue codes upon the import from a VDX file. If you feel OK with the presence of billions of codes – you will do the job.

Me not. But I like to use CATs for translation, so I wanted to get the translation done in a CAT and just copy-paste the made translation from a bilingual export RTF-file into Vision file, replacing the original text with the translation. This way is not a panacea, but I have no codes at all, and I control the translation consistency. It is the following:

Now the main Visio format is VSDX, which is somewhat like open source format. This means that you may just rename the *.vsdx file's extension into *.zip (even if you don't have MS Visio installed), unzip it, and see what is inside of it.

As a rule, you will see there some folders, as: _rels, docProps, visio, and the file [Content_Types].xml.

Well, the “visio” folder has a “pages” subfolder inside of it. And the “pages” subfolder contains the files with the names of pages of the real Visio file. Like “page1.xml”, etc. This “page1” is the page, which contains the text information of all file to be translated. You can import it into MemoQ or DéjàVu using XML-filter and see a crystal clear text to be translated.

However, when the translation is over and you have the new (translated) page1.xml file, the problem (for me) is to get the ZIP (ex-VSDX folder) back to normal VSDX file – archive it and rename with the correct extension. Simple replacement of page1.xml file will always end up with this warning when opening it in Visio: "Visio cannot open the file or a component in the file because it is corrupt." At this stage I just export the bilingual RTF from MemoQ (DéjàVu) and copy-paste the translated segments into right places on Visio pages

Probably, Kilgray is not economically interested in updating their Visio import-export filter enabling the normal work with VSDX files, I don’t know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VSDX files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »